• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Storm and Rebels once held a pre-season session at Princes Park. I recall Phipps and Cronk battling it out over a series of sprint repeat drills.

I always thought as two outpost teams in the heart of AFL land there were opportunities for shared training and IP. Mutual support and all that jazz.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
given that the Storm and Rebels share a common training venue, i suspect there is actually a lot of cross pollination that goes on. Wessels has said he has picked Bellamy's brains on many occasions.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
And what a great opportunity for a young coach hey? Just pop over with a coffee and chat with one of the premier coaches in the world. If you wanted to model for culture and professionalism, the Storm is a pretty good place to start.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I haven’t heard anything about Quade. On the Scott issue with the Storm, he got dropped weeks ago (well before this suggested incident so I’d say it’s fake) and the Storm are saying it’s purely form related, although papers say he’s been having issues off field over a recent break up.

Papers also say there was a verbal altercation between him and an unnamed Rebels player in preseason at the training facility but nothing more than words. I wonder if all these rumors have combined Chinese Whispers style to what was said on that earlier post

The teams do interact every now and then and there is as you’d imagine a lot of mutual friends just been in the same circles. It’s more the coaches that talk with each other, there is a very good relationship between all the teams on the street (storm, Rebels, Collingwood)

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
There is a nice article on rugby in Geelong on Rugby.com.au today. There is some good things happening in Vic participation wise. Should get a real benefit from that in a few years time. We already already seeing a portion of the squad been genuine Vic products

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/05/10/bushbeat-geelong

Great piece. Warms the cockles and reminds us about the real core of the game, away from Rugby Australia and corporates and court rooms.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Those interested in what’s happening with the squad and fringe members, there is several named in SS this week.

Tuipulotu, Dunbar, Uelese, Ratu

Be nice if the club could keep us updated on this, unless it’s a touchy issue with the local sides

TheNorth

Allen Oxlade (6)
Personally I think it’s a shame that the rebels and rugby vic are not investing more into the dewar shield.

They have moved all the fringe rebels and even players on the fringes for the competition and then probably look at the product and wonder why it isn’t as good as it can be.

Canberra and Perth pushed players into their competition and even recruited players to come play in them. Now both teams consistently recruit from the competition.

It can’t be viable long term for Vic Rugby to be buying players in and sending players away, surely at some point they need to start investing in their own production line. The prestige of being a 1st Grade Dewar Shield player isn’t very high and they aren’t really doing a lot to promote it.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Goddard would be kept close by as half back the hardest spot to fill.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing having the players over there. I wouldn’t think it’d have too much of an impact on the local league minus a handful of disgruntled people. But it’s a positive for the players development and politically it’s probably not a bad relationship to have with the loose lips that have put many a hole in the professional game recently from the SS.

I get the local scene argument, but if you take a step back it has more positives than negatives. Plus anyone that says they are ignoring the local game quickly forgets all the good work to promote the league done now than in the past, with the local tv deal to show matches every week, player allocations to clubs (DHP was at Racing the other night with kids), etc. a lot of good is done now compared to the shambles of only a couple of years ago

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I love seeing the boys out playing for the local sides. Always seemed to be that the clubs who probably didn't "need" the help got the experienced players not in the regular 23 though, so from that perspective it's not so bad.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Depends if To'omua is free, but I’d go Hodge and bring English into 13.

I’d play the best possible team for the next 3 games and then against the Crusaders away I’d rest a bunch of players at once. Given Quade has a week off next week play the following team in that fixture

Gibbon
Uelese (needs games)
Fa’amasuili
RHP
Coleman (already missed plenty)
Leota
Hardwick
Cottrell
Ruru
Cooper (would of missed a game a few weeks earlier)
Tupou
To'omua
Tuipulotu
English
DHP (missed plenty of games)

Freshen everyone up for the last game against the Chiefs at home

Status
Not open for further replies.