• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gees. The Rebels have 11 contracted players for next year! Philip was one of those contracted for next year, but not anymore.

I mean all contracts mean dirt now, but that's a worrying number.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah but when you clean out you’ve got to clean in too. Not sure where the suitable replacements will come from.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I'm a little worried aobut Lock depth. THe guys in frame include RHP, Koegelenberg, Hosea, and Haangana. And I thought RHP was heading off for the Yen after 2020?

Thats a bit of a depth crisis if you ask me.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I just don't see how Australia can field 4 competitive teams at this rate - squad depths have been savaged, quality is alreayd spread thin, clubbies have been promoted and either moved on or come up short, a HUGE amount of teenagers are receiving full time pro contracts.....

There are not enough quality players available to fill the gaps of those leaving.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Gees. The Rebels have 11 contracted players for next year! Philip was one of those contracted for next year, but not anymore.

I mean all contracts mean dirt now, but that's a worrying number.

Yes it is a worrying number. Reg, I don't like saying this, but reading the tea leaves, could this be part of the preparation for a merger with the Brumbies?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yes it is a worrying number. Reg, I don't like saying this, but reading the tea leaves, could this be part of the preparation for a merger with the Brumbies?

I was wondering that myself. Although I don't think it would be a merger with the Brumbies, if anything it would be a relocation of them, but that would be over a number of years.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
yeah, Australia certainly cant field 5 competitive teams against the Kiwis given the number of players departing..

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
yeah, Australia certainly cant field 5 competitive teams against the Kiwis given the number of players departing..

5?
We were still struggling with 4. Even if the rebels do go, they can't let the force back in unless they do some seriousssss recruiting from overseas. Hiring lance and holmes will not transform a team.

With the reality of people leaving - 3 is realistic to improve our competitiveness and have depth.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Matt Philip confirmed to Pau
My French is terrible (well basically non existent), but looking at the official release from the club it looks like he has signed for just the 2020-2021 season (if someone can correct me please do). Wonder if we might see him after that season is completed.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
My French is terrible (well basically non existent), but looking at the official release from the club it looks like he has signed for just the 2020-2021 season (if someone can correct me please do). Wonder if we might see him after that season is completed.

So, hopefully more of an income boosting sabbatical kind of thing?

I wish the clubs were a bit more transparent about this stuff. AFAIK, there still hasn't been anything official from the Rebels regarding Jones leaving. I find it a little bit harder to stay invested when I have no idea what is going on inside the club.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rugby as a whole needs to get so much better at transfers and rumors etc. it drives a hell of a lot of discussion for other sports

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Yeah, I wouldn't say that they emphasise it but they do mention that he's coming for the 20-21 season. Compared to the other three players in the announcement who don't have any specific dates mentioned.

Interestingly at the bottom of the announcement is something which roughly translates to:
"The arrival of Matt Philip is conditional on him being selected for Australia over [French] summer, for which the international calendar has yet to be decided".

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

Seems to fit better with the narrative that he remains conracted to the Rebels/RA until the end of 2021. But then again, it could just be wishful thinking.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Yeah, I wouldn't say that they emphasise it but they do mention that he's coming for the 20-21 season. Compared to the other three players in the announcement who don't have any specific dates mentioned.

Interestingly at the bottom of the announcement is something which roughly translates to:
"The arrival of Matt Philip is conditional on him being selected for Australia over [French] summer, for which the international calendar has yet to be decided".

Which rougly traslades into OneEyedRebelsFan as "If he plays for the Wallabies this year, he is likely to stick around.