• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Highlanders Rd 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Yep. Simply immense game. Did more in 30 minutes than Pyle and Neville did all match. There is no way we would have won without him. And to think Vuna got MotM.

All about the flash to your everyday punter I'm afraid :confused:

About 25 mins in watching the match right now, looking forward to finishing this one up after work.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
That last 35 minutes was some of the most attractive rugby I've seen this season.
On a number of occasions phases clocked past 10 with good go forward play, width, and support. Luke Jones was definitely a stand out, Jordy also made some telling plays.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Yep. Simply immense game. Did more in 30 minutes than Pyle and Neville did all match. There is no way we would have won without him. And to think Vuna got MotM.

The spectacular wins out over the essential in the minds of the shallow.

The try scorers are remembered, not the try assists.

Missed tackles, defensive misalignments, poor kicks are forgotten about as the 1% chip and chase regather sticks in the mind.

Jones made a big difference.

Wales Fan - No he is not Welsh, he is a North Harbourian. His full name is Prestwick-Smythe-Jones, like any true North Harborian. Jones is simply used as their commoner name. Get yer mitts off him!

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Yes very surprised how much impact Reid had, he was a different player.

Rebels are very good in open play, very effective linking and direct play, angled play. Once the opposition is drawn into that open game they start to really fire up. A feature last night was some very good lines taken by forwards to cut through. Also some very good turnovers.

I hate to single players out when so many stepped up, but I will say O'Connor silenced the critics in the best way possible. Who knows, perhaps with some sensible approaches by O'Connor fences might be mended and he is able to continue on. I can foresee the ARU having to step in and am still pretty cynical here about their role in us missing out on Foley.

Meanwhile my personal message to O'Connor if he does have a preference for the Rebels (which he should, they are his best fit) is to suck it up, have a good hard look at yourself and make a very considered and sincere approach to Rebels management. It would take a lot of courage, but could be the making of you.

Lastly, Jones. You bloody beauty.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Meanwhile my personal message to O'Connor if he does have a preference for the Rebels (which he should, they are his best fit) is to suck it up, have a good hard look at yourself and make a very considered and sincere approach to Rebels management. It would take a lot of courage, but could be the making of you.

Agreed.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Jones is a great young talent, no doubt about it. I too hope that JOC (James O'Connor) mends fences with the Rebels, the Force have got a couple of good five eighths.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Great fight back.

Gareth Delve. What a top bloke. He has just been sensational for the last three years. An absolute brilliant representative of the game in how he conducts himself. He has my respect by the tonne and I am sure I'm not the only one.

Best of luck in the future and cheers for what you have done for Rugby in Australia.

A true gent of the game.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah Phipps energy is a big plus, he thrives when the chips are down and gets busy leading by example. Pretty handy ball in hand too. He has won me over the past two seasons and I can see him being very good for the Tahs.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Neville is not even top 2 for his club.

I think there is very little to pick between the three. They're all slightly different but Neville strikes me as the best truck of them - the body shifter in tight. Pyle and Jones are more giraffe-like, running wider but capable of the tight stuff.

Up to Link I guess - he said recently that some players thrive in a particular environment, and we might even see trial camp once three of the provinces finish Super duties

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Jones was sensational off the bench. JOC (James O'Connor) was very good too. English continues to impress. Great to send the departing players off with a win. While it is great theatre snatching a win at the death it would if the Rebels could play like that the whole game.

Thanks to Gareth, Ged and Hendo who have been great leaders at the club. All the best to all our departing players. Wish we were keeping JOC (James O'Connor).

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I think there is very little to pick between the three. They're all slightly different but Neville strikes me as the best truck of them - the body shifter in tight. Pyle and Jones are more giraffe-like, running wider but capable of the tight stuff.

Up to Link I guess - he said recently that some players thrive in a particular environment, and we might even see trial camp once three of the provinces finish Super duties

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect .
Can't agree with that. Pyle, yes, but not Jones. He regularly hits more rucks than anyone else at the club, while topping the tackle count too. He naturally plays a very tight game. Only in the last couple of games - the Lions and now the Highlanders - does he seem to have taken his running game to another level.

I haven't been impressed with Neville this year. Higgers, Pyle and, to a lesser extent, Jones have taken their games to new levels - Neville has regressed for mine. Doesn't do enough around the park, and doesn't use his massive size with nearly the effect he could.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I'm still trying to get my voice back after that Game. What an effort from the boys last night. I honestly thought we were done at the half,outplayed everywhere on the park and lost the battle out wide.

The second half was just a different story all together. Some will say it was the JOC (James O'Connor) factor, however I think it was the Luke Jones factor. He was monster all around the park when he cam on and had a big impact. We started to tighten up our forwards work around the park and we could get good ball out to the backs. Funny how doing the simple things can improve a sides teams fortunes.

Also glad to see we kept more ball in hand and stopped with the kicking game. Far better rugby to watch.

Stick trying to work out some of the ref's call in the scrum and what he think joining from the side of a rick/maul looks like. Some dicey calls, but it does go both ways. Hope someone posts the reply up on the net (no cable).

Big cheers out to all the players moving on - thanks for a memorable year of Rebel Rugby.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Yes Luke Jones did the work up front which allowed the backs freedom but the Rebels had nothing with only Hegarty out there. JOC (James O'Connor) ran the show, he was involved in every try since he came on. You can have the best pack of forwards in the world but you need decent backs and specifically a playmaker to do something with the ball. JOC (James O'Connor) was the key. It was all him.

Status
Not open for further replies.