• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Highlanders Rd 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
The tide turned when Jones came on the field, should have started at lock with Pyle.

Also Jordy Reid had a blinder when he came on and is being forgot about, carried strong and made some big hits.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Without Luke Jones 14-34
With Luke Jones 24-3

Without Paul Alo Emile 19-34
With Paul Alo Emile 19-3

What does this prove? About as little as the JOC (James O'Connor) inference.

Come on, with Jordy, with out Jordy. Yeah there was a big gap between Jones and next but I would have given Jordy 2 or 1 in MOM.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The tide turned when Jones came on the field, should have started at lock with Pyle.

Also Jordy Reid had a blinder when he came on and is being forgot about, carried strong and made some big hits.
Cadreyn and Pyle both had strong games, why not Jones at 6 and all three?
Manly cant wait to have Cadrey, Jones, and Jordy running around, and Pyle is also from the Peninsular as well.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I think thr tide and started to turn before JOC (James O'Connor) ran out.

Of course, the Highlanders didn't score a try all second half.

There is of course a combination of factors. The Rebels stopped turning over possession, the forwards started making metres, Aaron Smith went off.

Simply put though, the Rebels won on the back of a dominant forwards performance in the second half. They managed to score tries with and without JOC (James O'Connor). In fact, when JOC (James O'Connor) came on, he did a LOT of stupid things. He tried going himself a couple of times when he should have passed and put the Rebels in bad positions. He made an atrocious kick from hand.

All the nonsense that is going on about how fantastic he was is just another occurrence of how people see the spectacular performance of backs and think that's what has won the game, whilst ignoring the hard work the forwards did to make it all possible.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Come on, with Jordy, with out Jordy. Yeah there was a big gap between Jones and next but I would have given Jordy 2 or 1 in MOM.

Jordy came on much earlier so doesn't look as special.

Without Jordy 7-17
With Jordy 31-20

Manly cant wait to have Cadrey, Jones, and Jordy running around, and Pyle is also from the Peninsular as well.

That's probably because Saffy has been playing very well recently. Given that his contractual situation is up in the air currently, there's probably every chance we'll see a Pyle, Neville, Jones, Faing'aa/Reid, Higginbotham back 5 next year.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

Talked to Jordy after the game, he is heading straight back up to play with you guys.

Will be interesting to see if Neville and Jones are playing though. Think Link will have a squad of 30-35 players training for the Wallabies and both Neville and Pyle should be in that training group. Jones would be my dark horse for that squad as his impact all season and the fact he covers so many positions.

If Jones stated 6 there would have been no cover for the 2nd row on the bench. With Pyle been injured and not pulling up well after the game against the Lions I think Hill was making sure he had all positions covered.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Even a few days later thinking of this game puts a big smile on my face. Not sure why we're disputing who made the difference in the game, the biggest feature of the second half was how well the Rebels were playing as a team. It should be patently obvious that O'Connor had the excellent game, and it was an excellent game I think it is very one eyed to begrudge him that, but he could only have it off the excellent work done by others as the whole team ignited.

Conversely we should be honest and admit while the second half was exciting the team can not, will not, make it to the finals let alone win those finals playing such inconsistent rugby.

Nor am I sold on cutting O'Connor loose without a strong replacement playmaker coming in at 10/12. Had Foley been coming you'd wear it, but he isn't.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Once again, Luke Jones is a forward, he can toil and make space up the middle all he likes, he will not score or set up tries. You need a playmaker to create and exploit space.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Once again, Luke Jones is a forward, he can toil and make space up the middle all he likes, he will not score or set up tries. You need a playmaker to create and exploit space.
A playmaker like we had in the third test?

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Yeah the one that set up and scored the only try. He did well with what his pack gave him.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yeah the one that set up and scored the only try. He did well with what his pack gave him.

Ah so it is the pack that lays the foundations, the pack didn't stand up in the Third Test - one close rand try. V's the Rebels against the Highlanders in the 2nd half - the go forward and the multiple phases from the forwards allowed (or set) up the tries. Shit the forwards can make the backs look good.

I never said JOC (James O'Connor) is not an incredible talent, I don't think 10 is his best position, at 23 he is still learning and I think the change in coach will do wonders for him on and off the park.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Having now seen the replay, I will admit that JOC (James O'Connor)'s game was better than I was giving him credit for. I still maintain that it was the forwards that won the game and I noted that Sharpey agreed with me during the broadcast.

All the creativity and exploitation of space in the world means nothing if your forwards are unable to secure ball. There can be no space if you only attack laterally through the backs. The mantra of go forward first before going wide is true today as it ever has been.

One thing I did pick up on in the replay is that JOC (James O'Connor) is horribly lucky that the team scored that final try. Whilst Pyle was pinged for the penalty that Parker put over, it was just as much JOC (James O'Connor)'s fault. He made zero effort to put his team onside after the kick.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Sorry, I should just let this go but the sheer idiocy of this post demands a follow up.

Not sure why the Rebels look stupid. No-one has ever denied the talent that JOC (James O'Connor) has, but he is not a team player.

On the contrary, I think this makes the Rebels look strong. They have drawn a line in the sand and said that the team is everything. They have also said that the energy and cash will be spent on the kids and the experienced non-star players with heart and desire. And why not? They performed extremely well while JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale spent time on the sidelines.

Given that the Rebels have improved each year for the last 3 years (small steps, but forward none-the-less), I find that calling them stupid is just ridiculous.

Save your call of stupid for your own backyard - Is anchoring the bottom of the Oz conference yet again and barely getting into 2nd gear after 8 years of Super Rugby exposure smart?
This isn't about the force mate. It's about the rebels and their inability to control and discipline their players. We need JOC (James O'Connor) in Australian rugby so someone has to take him in and help him become a better man off the field. Hopefully the force will do it because the rebels just gave up on him very easily.

D

daz

This isn't about the force mate. It's about the rebels and their inability to control and discipline their players. We need JOC (James O'Connor) in Australian rugby so someone has to take him in and help him become a better man off the field. Hopefully the force will do it because the rebels just gave up on him very easily.

No, Oz rugby doesn't need him. It would be nice to have him, but we don't need him. And he needs to know that.

I'm just guessing here, but where exactly did JOC (James O'Connor) get his individual attitude? It must have been allowed and cultivated in his younger days before he came to the Rebels. Where was that again?

I think the Rebels controlled him very well. They sacked him.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
No, Oz rugby doesn't need him. It would be nice to have him, but we don't need him. And he needs to know that.

I'm just guessing here, but where exactly did JOC (James O'Connor) get his individual attitude? It must have been allowed and cultivated in his younger days before he came to the Rebels. Where was that again?

I think the Rebels controlled him very well. They sacked him.
He wasn't doing that over here at all. I said it when he left. He wanted to go somewhere that had a better lifestyle for a young bloke. When he was here I didn't see him running a muck. He left when he was 19/20. He has been over in Melbourne for along time now and that's where he has picked up the shit attitude. It's pretty obvious.

I hope he does come back to perth because its a lot harder to end up causing trouble here. Unless he hooks up with some afl players.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
He wasn't doing that over here at all. I said it when he left. He wanted to go somewhere that had a better lifestyle for a young bloke. When he was here I didn't see him running a muck. He left when he was 19/20. He has been over in Melbourne for along time now and that's where he has picked up the shit attitude. It's pretty obvious.

I hope he does come back to perth because its a lot harder to end up causing trouble here. Unless he hooks up with some afl players.

Northbridge is awesome - surely you can be a scallywag there too? And it is really close to rectangular park as well.

(btw the Mexican restaurant down there near the little park with the tv is REALLY good - I think it is Zapatas)

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
That's a pretty simplistic analysis. So if I understand you correctly, you're telling me his personality and ego developed in the three adult years he spent in Melbourne. Or have I misread you?

Whatever, he's not our problem anymore. Good luck to him and the Force. If you guys can get him playing as he did against the Highlanders then you'll do well.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
That's a pretty simplistic analysis. So if I understand you correctly, you're telling me his personality and ego developed in the three adult years he spent in Melbourne. Or have I misread you?

Whatever, he's not our problem anymore. Good luck to him and the Force. If you guys can get him playing as he did against the Highlanders then you'll do well.
I'm just disputing that he became like this in perth. I would be happy to have him in the team. I'm sure we can do a better job sorting him out. :)

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Northbridge is awesome - surely you can be a scallywag there too? And it is really close to rectangular park as well.

(btw the Mexican restaurant down there near the little park with the tv is REALLY good - I think it is Zapatas)
Ewwwww northbridge

Status
Not open for further replies.