• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Sharks, R12 @ AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
rebels team for friday

smith out, burgess and stirzaker swap, neviile again over pyle (i like)

assume hegarty remains at 10

The RaboDirect Rebels are back in action following their bye and Head Coach Tony McGahan has made two changes to this week's team to take on the Sharks. Luke Burgess has moved back into the starting line up, replacing Nic Stirzaker at scrumhalf, while Cruze Ah-Nau makes his first Super Rugby start in place of the injured Toby Smith.
McGahan believes Burgess' experience and physicality from kick off will be an asset against the competition leaders as they head into their first game of their four-match Australasian tour.
After stellar performances against the Western Force on Good Friday, Shota Horie and Caydern Nevill have been rewarded and will retain their spots in the Rebels' starting line up.
RaboDirect Rebels to play Sharks, AAMI Park, Friday May 2nd, 19:30 AEST.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
rebels team for friday

smith out, burgess and stirzaker swap, neviile again over pyle (i like)

assume hegarty remains at 10

The RaboDirect Rebels are back in action following their bye and Head Coach Tony McGahan has made two changes to this week's team to take on the Sharks. Luke Burgess has moved back into the starting line up, replacing Nic Stirzaker at scrumhalf, while Cruze Ah-Nau makes his first Super Rugby start in place of the injured Toby Smith.
McGahan believes Burgess' experience and physicality from kick off will be an asset against the competition leaders as they head into their first game of their four-match Australasian tour.
After stellar performances against the Western Force on Good Friday, Shota Horie and Caydern Nevill have been rewarded and will retain their spots in the Rebels' starting line up.
RaboDirect Rebels to play Sharks, AAMI Park, Friday May 2nd, 19:30 AEST.

Stirzaker at 10??? Think that's a typo.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Disappointing that Toby is out. hope he recovers soon. it will be areal baptism of fire for Cruz in his run-on debut against an all-bok front row. Hope he has his weet-bix. Also glad to see big Rig Lahiff back in the match day squad after some time out. With the job at hand I think all the front row will get some pitch time this weekend.

The rest is what I expected. Although I still haven't seen the Reb v force reply the last two games for little red made me think that Burgo needs to start for a few weeks. I'm expecting a bast fest in the packs and quick ball (especially from scrumbase) will be important - think Burgo is strong here ATM.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Shame Toby is injured indeed, a run on debut vs JDP (assuming he's starting)? Hopefully Cruz has balls and more importantly a back of steel in the scrums. I'm really interested in the Lahiff situation, he went from starting to gone from the squad and is only on the bench because of injury, surely there is more to the story?

Happy Burgess is starting, he's a strong tackler around the rucks and god knows they won't be spreading it wide and often. Hopefully Colby can show his worth in the rucks too, wise choice starting him over Sean Mac as well, it's not going to be a fast running game in the first half at least.

Team seems to have been picked to play hard and tight, hopefully they can score a try or two also.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Fish:

Cell C Sharks team: Lwazi Mvovo, Odwa Ndungane, Paul Jordaan, Heimar Williams, JP Pietersen, Frans Steyn, Charl Mcleod, Ryan Kankowski, Jean Deysel, Marcell Coetzee, Stephan Lewies, Willem Alberts, Jannie du Plessis, Bismarck du Plessis (capt), Beast Mtwarira.
Replacements: Kyle Cooper, Dale Chadwick, Lourens Adriaanse, Etienne Oosthuizen, Keegan Daniel, Cobus Reinach, Fred Zeilinga, SP Marais.

Frans Steyn at 10. Played one and a half games there early in the season and was pretty good. Will give the team the stability they need.

Bismarck, Kankowski and Deysel all back. Reinach back from injury on bench and will likely get 40.

Paul Jordaan starts again after 6 week layoff.

Best Fish team in some weeks. They'll win this but don't expect fun and excitment. They will turn it into an arm wrestle for sure.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Fantastic, the World 15 front row is back.

Hope we can give it a red hot crack.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tex

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Mop head is back - this increases the Shorks' chances* significantly.

Good pack, too.

* of winning via drop goal

AFL_Converted

Ted Thorn (20)
It is supposed to be a wet night. This will become a kicking duel of wet weather rugby and we are totally out gunned for that game.

I love tipping Rebels upsets (I won money v brumblies) but I cannot feel this one going our way.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
My half-arsed and completely non-professional preview is on the front page.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/preview-rebels-v-sharks/

If you are looking for an in depth and instructive report on this game, boy have you come to the wrong place!

Well done Daz, you have maintained your high level of waffle, ranting and obvious bias towards Mitch. you even managed to find a good of him mid quad flex - from your screensaver collection perhaps?

Amongst that was the nugget of truth - Rebels vs Springbok pack. I'm hoping they try to take us lightly because I think we can surprise them with some fierce breakdown work. The scrum is going to be one tough night, line outs I think we might have more of a shot if we don't try the fancy pants crap.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
well its pissing down and cold, and the team we are playing have a "big bertha" boot at 10 behind a very formidable pack. should be a cracka, a festival of fast, open running rugby!

can you all remind me again why i should go tonight instead of sitting at home in front of an open wood fire, watching on the HD screen and drinking my very good quality beer. ?

D

daz

Well done Daz, you have maintained your high level of waffle, ranting and obvious bias towards Mitch. you even managed to find a good of him mid quad flex - from your screensaver collection perhaps?

Amongst that was the nugget of truth - Rebels vs Springbok pack. I'm hoping they try to take us lightly because I think we can surprise them with some fierce breakdown work. The scrum is going to be one tough night, line outs I think we might have more of a shot if we don't try the fancy pants crap.

Yes, I'm rather proud of maintaining my effort to write a preview that provides zero informative content.

Our piggies and locks need to pretend it is a family member at the base of every breakdown, and become enraged animals with super-human strength to lift the car off them.

My hot tip: Watch Fugi tonight. He is going to go apeshit with these big boys. Don't sweat the fact he might get carded during the game. Far better for him to be a monster and sit 10 out, rather than take his foot off the pedal.

And when he is done and broken, we need Colby to step the fuck up.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
well its pissing down and cold, and the team we are playing have a "big bertha" boot at 10 behind a very formidable pack. should be a cracka, a festival of fast, open running rugby!

can you all remind me again why i should go tonight instead of sitting at home in front of an open wood fire, watching on the HD screen and drinking my very good quality beer. ?
Because if a fan who actively posts on a rugby forum can't be bothered going then the Rebels are fucked. That and when we win you'll hate yourself for not going.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

What could be more fun than busting of the shackles of a working week, heading to the nearest innkeeper, getting buzzed on decent beer, heading off to AAMI to watch the Rebs, maintaining the buzz with mediocre (at best) Beer then returning to another innkeeper to elevate the buzz once again with really good Beer. Frankly after the 6th pint you don't really care what you're drinking, it all tastes the same.

Other good excuses:
  • Away from the wife and kids for at least a few hours, until they start knocking your head at 6am for feeding/clothing/transport to AusKick etc...
  • You get to watch live professional rugby in the sporting capital of the world. After many years of wanting this to happen, it's finally here and I intend to take every opportunity I can.
  • There is always beer involved. Sure the standard isn't as good as your personal Beer, but it's still Beer.
  • you get to see an assortment of wiley characters, up to all sorts of shenanigans that are typically a result of Beer.
  • You get to see those lovely drummers and Vic the rebel (okay, that was a long bow to draw).
  • Aside from the little league, someone is always doing something stupid on the pitch at half-time. What better fun than 12,000+ people laughing with someone trying to run inside on of those massive inflatable balls (or whatever they are doing, I'm usually off getting Beer so I never notice).
  • You might get to run into me at the Rugby, and surely that's got to be the highlight for any Rugby fan.
  • If you find you cannot cope with the cold, I'm sure the person sitting next to you will give you a hug. In Rugby, we're all united.
  • Did I mention Beer is involved?
Is this enough of a reason for you to attend? Or should I dribble on some more?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
yeah i know all this, just trying to convince my girlfriend to "man up", she thinks we are all mad going inthe rain. i will be there, as i have to every Rebels game, when they and i are in Melbourne, all but 2 in 4 years.

interesting sharks line up in the rebels news letter, different to the previously published one

No Position Name Tr y Conversion Penalty
1 Loosehead Prop Tendai Mtawarira
2 Hooker Kyle Cooper
3 Tighthead Prop Jannie du Plessis
4 Left Lock Etienne Oosthuizen
5 Right Lock Stephan Lewies
6 Blindside Flanker Marcell Coetzee
7 Openside Flanker Willem Alberts
8 Number Eight Keegan Daniel
9 Scrumhalf Charl McLeod
10 Flyhalf Tim Swiel
11 Left Wing Sibusiso Sithole