• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Sharks, R12 @ AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
That ref could not be more one eyed if he was wearing a sharks jersey.

He made two decisions our way all night. The Hegarty thing in the first minute and the quick tap try. Every other decision went the way of the sharks.

Offside at every play. Men coming in from the side and not supporting their own weight at the ruck. Rebels scrum was dominant, there were plenty of instances where if you swapped the jerseys a penalty would have been given.

Sharks didn't deserve to win this. Not by a long shot.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Gutsy, but too messy ultimately from the Rebels. Out of hand kicking was often pretty average - straight to Sharks kickers and too deep to allow any pressure. Handling hot and cold.
Scrum went well.
Effort - A ++
I thought they would get it at the end. Hard luck, Rebels fans.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
That ref could not be more one eyed if he was wearing a sharks jersey.

He made two decisions our way all night. The Hegarty thing in the first minute and the quick tap try. Every other decision went the way of the sharks.

Offside at every play. Men coming in from the side and not supporting their own weight at the ruck. Rebels scrum was dominant, there were plenty of instances where if you swapped the jerseys a penalty would have been given.

Sharks didn't deserve to win this. Not by a long shot.

From a neutral point of view I thought the reffing was fair. Maybe not perfect but there were plenty of things that went the rebs way.

Gutsy effort and a point earned for the rebs. Sharks played well enough without being spectacular.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
pretty gutsy to claim the refereeing was against your team when the Sharks were basically undone by two awful calls (non PT and the Rebels try with the ball clearly not being properly kicked) worth 14 points.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Oztimmay
I had my thermals on but managed to get hot under the collar with some of the Rebs play and refs decisions

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Tha
pretty gutsy to claim the refereeing was against your team when the Sharks were basically undone by two awful calls (non PT and the Rebels try with the ball clearly not being properly kicked) worth 14 points.
Thank you.

Can you imagine the meltdown if that decision was the reverse in SA with a SA ref? Epic.

How could he think Mvovo wasn't going to score? The vall was all but in his arms!

Anyway Sharks backline is pedestrian with Steyn at 10. They need to move him back to 12. Hopefully Zeilinga can start next week and Lambie the following.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Agree with above comments ultimately another game the rebels lost with poor execution and not taking the limited opportunities available. Kicking remains a real weakness and some of the passing was poor (looking at the ranga)
Defense once again terrific.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Gutsy effort and a point earned for the rebs. Sharks played well enough without being spectacular.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I cannot agree with that. The sharks barely got off the line to tackle, forward passes and dropped ball all nigh. There was a real opportunity for the rebels to win that one but we made too many mistakes.

Big game from Jones again and I thought Mitch was huge. McMahon made a huge impact when he came on but he really needs to work on not lifting in the tackle so much.

We tried too many silly grubber kicks when we were on the front foot with momentum. I was ready to strangle Burgess just before half time for those two little kicks bit we lost a lot when he went off. Zaker did not seem to know what he wanted to do and even Roberts looked better there when he came on

For all that though, rugby is a fame of inches and a few more things right and we would have won that. I just wish it was not the story most weeks.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Having had a small amount of time to reconsider. I was a bit rash with my comments.

I still feel that outside those two decisions, the rub of the green went the sharks way, but we gave up at least 13 points through basic errors. You can't expect to come away with a win if you do that.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Just got back from the game, jeez sometimes it's easier to swallow a 60 point loss than a 6 point one. That hurt, kicking and lineout aside it felt like we were the better team on the night. Huge defense, I can't be more impressed with how much it has improved this year.

I thought the ref was equally unfair, missed a bunch of offside from the sharks, BDP in particular but also didn't ping the rebs for a number of infringements. How much success did we have when running the ball back from a kick? Made meters every time! However they still got sucked into kicking battles with a south african team too many times and lost ground, very frustrating. Ellison is a great player but he needs to stop kicking and Hegarty panicked a few times and went to the boot when it wasn't on. That was a great game from Woodward, took the right option nearly every time and flawless with the boot, he's improving a lot (stick around another year mate).

Thought the scrum was excellent against the best in the comp, Link could do worse than to pick some rebs in the tight 5. Say a certain Mr. Jones.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I cannot agree with that. The sharks barely got off the line to tackle, forward passes and dropped ball all nigh. There was a real opportunity for the rebels to win that one but we made too many mistakes.

Big game from Jones again and I thought Mitch was huge. McMahon made a huge impact when he came on but he really needs to work on not lifting in the tackle so much.

We tried too many silly grubber kicks when we were on the front foot with momentum. I was ready to strangle Burgess just before half time for those two little kicks bit we lost a lot when he went off. Zaker did not seem to know what he wanted to do and even Roberts looked better there when he came on

For all that though, rugby is a fame of inches and a few more things right and we would have won that. I just wish it was not the story most weeks.
I think we actually agree.

Swandive

Allen Oxlade (6)
Congratulations Rebels. I thought the better team lost.......and I tipped you to get flogged.

God damn, aren't the Sharks just the most negative team. Kick way too much. Couldn't believe it when even Jannie Du Plessis got in on the act. I just don't understand how their fans could put up with it. It would just bore me silly. Maybe 'Winning is the only thing'? I can't believe they top the table. It's an indictment on rugby (and I still love the game) when the team that tops the table just constantly kicks and plays such negative rugby. I would go nuts if my team just relied on Stain (oops Steyn).

The thing that bothers me is that they do have a team that could play much more positive rugby. They have some fast and skillful backs but just choose to up-and-under the ball or hoof it down-field without a second consideration.

I believe this Jake White super-coach rubbish is just a myth. He inherited a pretty strong team and gets them to play such dour rugby. Sure they lead the comp. but the easy part of their schedule is over (to be honest this is the first Sharks game I have seen this year. Can anyone tell me if they have played much different thus far?) and I cannot see them surviving long in the semi-finals, assuming they get there. Well, that is unless 'Stain on the Game' gets to kick them to victory.

Look at the Brumbies. They seem to be doing very well without Jake. Sure, people will say he initiated it all, but I believe the 'seed' was already there and the Brumbies have s strong tradition that was there long before Jake the Fake.

Back to the Rebels. I was very impressed. They tried hard and played most of the rugby. Unfortunately, rugby's rules tend to favor those that play negative rugby and sit on mistakes and then swoop.

I always hear about the Sharks excellent scrum, blah,blah, blah....but I think they were actually out-pointed by the Rebels, and this was Ah Nau's first start. So what's the go there? I hope McKenzie was having a good look.

Another thing, I always hear that the Rebels are chasing this standoff or that standoff because they don't have experience in the position. Well I'm here to tell ya that you have a gem in Bryce Hegarty. The man was virtually on one leg and still far outplayed Stain. Great step too. Look no further. Needs to boss the game more but he'll grow into it. Outpointed Quade this weekend in my book. Not saying much but Ewen will probably stick with him.

And wasn't Luke Jones fantastic again. The man has such a powerful leg drive. Should be the first lock picked for Oz...or at least at No.6. Neville, who I have never rated, was also quite good tonight.

But my MOM would go to Luke Inman who had a blinder and certainly the best game I have seen from him. Constantly broke tackles. A couple of loose passes but must be getting close to consideration for the Oz inside centre job. Him running off To'omua would be great.

Only gripe I have with the Rebels was the replacement of Luke Burgess who I thought was having a good game until replaced at halftime. Why was he replaced so early?? Ranga has crisp passing but passes mighty close to the defensive line, leaving a couple of players with no room to move, a couple of hospital passes, and the pass that led to the only try to the Sharks.

Can't see the Sharks beating the Brumbies on tonight's form, but stranger things have happened. Maybe they were foxing, or already had their eyes on the game next week.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Congratulations Rebels. I thought the better team lost...and I tipped you to get flogged.

God damn, aren't the Sharks just the most negative team. Kick way too much. Couldn't believe it when even Jannie Du Plessis got in on the act. I just don't understand how their fans could put up with it. It would just bore me silly. Maybe 'Winning is the only thing'? I can't believe they top the table.

Jakeball in action. They'll continue to threaten the top of the table, until the rest of this road trip hits them, but still win the Saffer conference by daylight.

They will get a home semi as a result, and I hope they get turn apart by a kiwi team doing it

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Rebels lost that one on their own. Dumb penalties to begin with. Bad luck and better next week.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That was a great game from Woodward, took the right option nearly every time and flawless with the boot, he's improving a lot (stick around another year mate).

Is he off contract this year?? Gee and the H'canes are looking for a new fullback next year , do you think it's time for them to tell Woodward it's time to come home??:p

Status
Not open for further replies.