• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs Force, RD1 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Rebels need to make a call.
The issue is that both locks, Pyle and Jones, play wide and loose and don't deliver enough tight grunt workload between them.
Both are good players but shouldn't be paired together as locks at this level
The Force looked their best when going straight up the middle, getting in behind the Rebels and making some soft metres.
A good tight lock would be smashing these intruders.
Better and smarter teams will be exploiting this Rebels weakness.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Phipps. At the ground I thought he was close to the Rebels best and sparked a lot of their attack.

Pyle and Jones were tremendous and the Rebels lineout was light years ahead of last year.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
Thought Phipps did a few good things but still managed to throw a few passes to ground and had a few players reaching for balls. I was hoping to see Stirzaker in the last 20.

Ged Robinson was the standout for the rebels in my opinion. Inman good in defence also

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
That yellow card for Alby was one of the most ridiculous decisions I've seen for a long time and pretty much ruined the game

That was the worst ruling ever. How did Mathewson deserve that yellow card?

It was a perfectly good ruling, something that people have been crying for for months/years.

It was a cynical example of foul play with the intent of slowing down the Rebel play of the ball to prevent the quick play of the ball which might amount to a try. Classic give away a penalty to save a try stuff.

Not to mention it was about the 4th penalty offence within about 2 minutes. Further, it was committed when the Rebels were already getting a penalty.

The relevant laws are:
10.4 Dangerous play and misconduct
(f) Playing an opponent without the ball.
Except in a scrum, ruck or maul, a player who is not in possession of the ball must not hold, push or obstruct an opponent not carrying the ball.

Sanction: Penalty kick

(m) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship.
A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the playing enclosure.​

Sanction: Penalty kick​

(n) Misconduct while the ball is out of play.
A player, must not, while the ball is out of play, commit any misconduct, or obstruct or in any way interfere with an opponent.​

10.2 Unfair play
(a) Intentionally Offending.
A player must not intentionally infringe any Law of the Game, or play unfairly. The player who intentionally offends must be either admonished, or cautioned that a send off will result if the offence or a similar offence is committed, or sent off.​
A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored. A player who prevents a try being scored through foul play must either be cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off.​
That is a yellow card offence. Arguably lucky to avoid a penalty try. More like rulings are absolutely necessary if we want to encourage play by the rules rather than play by what you can get away with.

Alby should count himself lucky if he is able to play next week after his stomping of KB (Kurtley Beale). No matter what the commentators said, that is illegal.
10.4 Dangerous play and misconduct
(b) Stamping or trampling.
A player must not stamp or trample on an opponent.​

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Some of my notes:
- JOC (James O'Connor)'s kicking in general play: shocking
- Beale seems to lack fitness, and ability to tackle
- Our ruck defense at times is questionable, pillars?
- Beale was questionable under the high ball last season (for the Wallabies), managed to defuse at least 2 last night
- Ball security, still shithouse as always
- Giving away too many penalties at the ruck, looking at you Higgers
- Lineout steals, were fantastic. Albeit they were usually overthrows, but due to pressure from either Pyle or Jones
- Impressed by Sidey
- JOC (James O'Connor) showed more often than not, he is a finisher, opposed to a playmaker, 3rd person in the chain of passes, trying to run into a gap, where there isn't one. The exception being the the try he set up for Kingi
- Phipps pulled off a successful box kick :)
- Kingi: Fantastic
- Scrum was much improved. Perhaps either the calls or the return of Laurie?

Moral is, pull our fingers out, otherwise the Brumbies will tear us a new one. Happy to change that opinion after tonight though.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
. Arguably lucky to avoid a penalty try.

Dreaming.

As a Tah supporter I saw plenty of SKN. I was stoked to get him off the Brumbies but he turned out to be the lemon of the year. If any Force supporter thinks he is starting material then you must be very unhappy with the rest of your squad.

I didn't think he was that bad playing for the Tahs, but I wouldn't have him starting over anyone who played last night. I also wouldn't judge him until he's at least played a game. Perhaps the overseas experiences will have done him some good. He might also be a better fit for the Force (or perhaps worse). Sitaleki Timani is a good example of someone who was a better fit for the Tahs than he was for the Brumbies. Vice versa with Stephen Hoiles. The Reds have used a fair few unwanted players very astutely.

Optimism comes naturally to Force supporters. It's natural selection.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think the Force will need SNK for his kicking as that was their biggest weakness last night.

CTM can kick

inqXyLDXM7ZEZ.jpg

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
It was a perfectly good ruling, something that people have been crying for for months/years.

It was a cynical example of foul play with the intent of slowing down the Rebel play of the ball to prevent the quick play of the ball which might amount to a try. Classic give away a penalty to save a try stuff.

Not to mention it was about the 4th penalty offence within about 2 minutes. Further, it was committed when the Rebels were already getting a penalty.

That is a yellow card offence. Arguably lucky to avoid a penalty try. More like rulings are absolutely necessary if we want to encourage play by the rules rather than play by what you can get away with.

Alby should count himself lucky if he is able to play next week after his stomping of KB (Kurtley Beale). No matter what the commentators said, that is illegal.

You are kidding if you think that Alby's conduct was a yellow card offense. Considering the Rebels weren't even ready to take a quick tap themselves, the notion of awarding a penalty try in that instance is laughable.

M

Moono75

I need to watch the game again but first off I will say the Force are so much better than they were last year. I was very pleased with the ball movement and general rugby skills which seemed to be lacking last year. I agree that Alby was unlucky with the yellow card and that along with Alcock being off sealed the game for the Rebels who are very beatable despite he much hyped KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor) show.

Kyle Godwin played very well and is a star in the making. He left a lot of points on the park with his kicking but in general he looks like an x-factor player. Mafi looks set for a big year and with Cummins back in the team on the other wing will be a dangerous backline. Lineout needs to be shored up and the return of MMM will go a long way towards this. Stanley looked good at 13. Will be interested to see what Foley does with CTM and if Godwin will get some time at 10.

Overall a good first hitout for the Force and there looks to be some exciting times ahead despite all the general shithouse reporting and doom and gloom of the so called rugby experts.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
You are kidding if you think that Alby's conduct was a yellow card offense. Considering the Rebels weren't even ready to take a quick tap themselves, the notion of awarding a penalty try in that instance is laughable.

I think it was probably open to the ref to give a yellow, but in the context of the game it was overkill.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
.... the Force are so much better than they were last year. I was very pleased with the ball movement and general rugby skills which seemed to be lacking last year. I agree that Alby was unlucky with the yellow card and that along with Alcock being off sealed the game for the Rebels who are very beatable despite he much hyped KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor) show....

Overall a good first hitout for the Force and there looks to be some exciting times ahead despite all the general shithouse reporting and doom and gloom of the so called rugby experts.
The Rebels are very beatable.
Yet despite having 50% more ball in the first 1/2 and having a yellow card advantage.They were only 1 point ahead at half time.That is where the game was lost.
The Rebels were also more self critical than the Force in their post match assessments.
Get used to the Captain and/or coach talking up any positive after the game despite the result.
I'll be interested to hear your view again in June.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Though a fair few mistakes, it wasn't a bad game in my opinion. Not the usual dirge Australian derbies become. Both sides would hope that they have some improvement in them going forward I would imagine.

Not too bad for an Australian derby was it?

The Rebels looked ordinary for most of the first half because they couldn't get a lot of ball, then turned it over when they had some - a bit like the Tahs' trial the other night, come to think of it. But when they hit their straps they looked decent and the Force faded, but to their credit came again.

There were a few big hits but not a lot of prolonged, swarming collisions when contesting breakdown outcomes that are typical of Kiwi and SAffer derbies.

As expected with players like Jones, Pyle and Higginbotham contesting, the Rebels lineout was dominant apart from a crook throw or two. Charles (Force) needs to fix up his throwing as he took a step back last night. There are more things to being a hooker that galloping around the park with the ball.

The scrums of both sides looked decent, but how can you tell when neither team is rated highly in that area?

It was interesting that Faulkner, a LHP in Sydney club rugby, was starting as a THP in Super Rugby. It's always good to see another player with the 3 jersey in Oz rugby that looks half-way decent. The Force will be well served with him there, Ma'afu still to come back and Manu in the EPS. Manu was one of the finds of the season in 2012 IMO and will be Ma'afu's logical replacement next year.

It was interesting to see PAE come on to play THP for the Rebels late in the game and Weeks shift to the LH side where he looked like a cow playing the piano. I've been waiting a while to see PAE play on a regular basis and although he turned 21 just recently we should see a bit more of him in 2013 as he is an ethnic Islander lad who matured early.

Apart from in the Rebels lineout, both teams need better structure in their forward play - set pieces, semi set-pieces like mauls, maul defence and restarts (whichever side kicks the ball) - and also ruck attack (including judicious ruck flooding).

If both teams improve those things their backs should look better than they do, more often than they do.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I agree that Alby was unlucky with the yellow card and that along with Alcock being off sealed the game for the Rebels

Kyle Godwin played very well and is a star in the making. He left a lot of points on the park with his kicking but in general he looks like an x-factor player. Mafi looks set for a big year and with Cummins back in the team on the other wing will be a dangerous backline.

Lineout needs to be shored up and the return of MMM will go a long way towards this.

You can't argue against the card. Scrumhalves do those things all the time and don't even get penalised for it but they shouldn't do it when they have only 14 men on the park and a fairly new ref has the whistle.

I thought Gardner had a fairly good game for a man of his limited Super experience and like a player in the same situation - he will get better. He will learn to ask the right question of his touchies so he gets the right answer. It's a skill.

It's good to see Godwin healthy in Super Rugby again because he's had a lot of injuries in his short career since school. He is someone who played beyond his years and will lose that edge playing against older players. But if he gets a fair shake medically we may see if he is the real deal we always thought he might be.

Yeah it looks like Alfi Mafi is heading for a big season, on the face of it. He was looking for work and would have earned a motza if he were on piece-work last night. You can see a bit of Diggers in him now and that can't be a bad thing for a winger.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
It seems information cannot help the wilfully blind.

I never disputed the penalty. I disputed the fact that a yellow was handed out. Based on the information you so generously supplied, if the referee was handing Mathewson a yellow for his conduct, then Phipps could well have deserved a yellow also. If you look at the altercation, Phipps also interferes with an opponent. That player happened to be Mathewson, who received a yellow card.

Further, according to the law, a penalty and a warning to the players would have been sufficient. Again, the yellow was in no way warranted. As for wilfully blind, an interesting remark coming from someone who thought a penalty try was warranted in that situation.

I have had enough of this debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.