• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chief

There's no doubt about it I feel. Gill is the front runner for the Number 7 position. Forget Tomiki, Shatz I don't believe is a Openside he's rather a Number 8. Gill's performances in the U20's were the strongest out of all the backrowers for Australia.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I watched a bit of our new signing, Michael Harris, today as he ran around for Nth Harbour. He looked a very solid footballer. Not a brilliant player ala Quade (who is), but a very polished and astute rugby player. And a decent goal kicker too. Remembering this was just from one half of footy. I see him playing 10 to relieve Cooper a couple of times against the 'appropriate' teams (Rebels).

Speaking of the Rebels. Tom Chamberlain plays for Nth Harbour as well and I was not overly impressed. Not very physical for a blind side. But again, I only saw 40 minutes.

D

Doc

There's no doubt about it I feel. Gill is the front runner for the Number 7 position. Forget Tomiki, Shatz I don't believe is a Openside he's rather a Number 8. Gill's performances in the U20's were the strongest out of all the backrowers for Australia.

Could not agree more.

Tomiki, while injured at times last year, started the year and simply offered very little. Being unfamiliar with him, I though he was a stocky premier grade back filling in for the trial squad. Gill was the youngest player in the whole u20 comp and yet was in the top 5, plus his trial appearances for qld a last year where very solid. You don't go through the dispensation process unless you are seriously looking at someone. While Schatz had a very good year for Qld, he is not really an openside.

While it would have obviously been best if Braid played one more year, I think 2011 will bring the beginning of Qlds next 100 game player.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I watched a bit of our new signing, Michael Harris, today as he ran around for Nth Harbour. He looked a very solid footballer. Not a brilliant player ala Quade (who is), but a very polished and astute rugby player. And a decent goal kicker too. Remembering this was just from one half of footy. I see him playing 10 to relieve Cooper a couple of times against the 'appropriate' teams (Rebels).

Speaking of the Rebels. Tom Chamberlain plays for Nth Harbour as well and I was not overly impressed. Not very physical for a blind side. But again, I only saw 40 minutes.

Harris had a decent game (watched the whole 80). He's played alright throughout the year as well. Kicked a couple of long range penalties. Seems to have a solid general kicking game as well. He doesn't take on the line that often though and with Luke McAllister out they really need Harris to do that a bit to mix it up. But Reds could do worst

As for Chamberlain, he was awesome last year in provincial rugby and got a few callups for the BLues earlier this year nwhen they crwded the AKL hospitals with injuries. He was poor today but Hawkes Bay were excellent at the breakdown and in the collisions today adn easily won that battle.

B

Big Red

For Albert Anae's sake i hope he gets a set position soon, there is no such thing as a prop/hooker, for 2011 i think that James Hanson will be the 2nd hooker with Albert Anae waiting in the wings. Only thing working against James Hanson is he is a little bit on the small side, his stats say 102kg which isnt terrible, but considering the props(daley and slipper) are lightweights as well you would preferably have a bigger hooker.

Gotta say size isn't such a big deal with hookers if you look at the current crop Finger is supposed to be the tallest at 187cm followed by Moore at 186 ??. (Sorry but Moore is much taller than Finger). Finger, Hanson, Charles, Fitzy are all around the same size and in fact are the same height/weight as Jeremy Paul was in his playing days. Most kiwi hookers are short & nuggity. Jed Robinson, the new rebels hooker from Wellington is only 180cm & 100kg.

Hanson played prop at school & was qld rep at prop before switching to hooker. He has great skills and the uni scrum & lineout this year was very solid. He's captained Qld A in 09 & again this year & was being courted by McQueen for the rebels. I would think that hanson has done his apprenticeship & should get a crack this season or we'll end up losing him.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That is outstanding news. I said earlier that Gill had the same rugby instincts as McCaw at (approximately) the same age. I had seen The Invisible Man, or sensed his presence :lmao: at an U21 tournament in Sydney playing against the likes of Gerard and Harris in 2001 IIRR.

If Gill is indeed 99 kgs, about 10 kgs more than I thought he was, it will have a terrific effect on Oz rugby. Say no more Lee; say no more.

Does he have a NSW grandparent??

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
That is outstanding news. I said earlier that Gill had the same rugby instincts as McCaw at (approximately) the same age. I had seen The Invisible Man, or sensed his presence :lmao: at an U21 tournament in Sydney playing against the likes of Gerard and Harris in 2001 IIRR.

If Gill is indeed 99 kgs, about 10 kgs more than I thought he was, it will have a terrific effect on Oz rugby. Say no more Lee; say no more.

Does he have a NSW grandparent??

Never mind the parentage, we just need a rich sponsor who can do a good side deal.:)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Even if Gill has the goods I doubt you (the Reds) can get a whole season out of him, he is only 18 unless I'm mistaken and will need another year to get used to the physical and mental demands of week-to-week professional 15s.

Georgey Smith for the surprise WC squad berth! Please!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Even if Gill has the goods I doubt you (the Reds) can get a whole season out of him, he is only 18 unless I'm mistaken and will need another year to get used to the physical and mental demands of week-to-week professional 15s.

Georgey Smith for the surprise WC squad birth! Please!

He's pregnant? Who's the father?

E

Elvis

Liam Gill; Born Melb, lived Bris, USA, Adelaide, and finally back to Brisbane.Proud Qlder.And L.F. Liams' dad is a true blue Aussie.

R

Red Rooster

http://media.smh.com.au/qld-news/phil-mooney-shattered-726199.html

Give this a listen. Retrospect is a powerful thing isn't it.

Link is a terrific coach and I don't know much about Mooney but still, interesting.

Interesting in what way? He won 2 games in year one and 3 in year two - The joint is going broke, members and fans were staying away - what do you want the Board to do? 12 months ago you could not find a fan of the reds - its a bit different now. It didn't sound like Horwill or Hardman helped his cause?

I note that Phil has gone to Otago and is currently bottom of the ladder with one game to go. Sport requires decisiveness - the romantic ideals dont make successful businesses

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting in the fact that he was adamant 2010 was the Reds big break out year.

When he inherited the Reds and Otago they were both cellar dwellers in their respective competitions and he didn't turn them around but still, that doesn't make him a bad coach.

I mean, he may well not be a great coach or maybe he's just a victim of over-expectation to turn around poor teams, I don't know.

R

Red Rooster

Interesting in the fact that he was adamant 2010 was the Reds big break out year.

When he inherited the Reds and Otago they were both cellar dwellers in their respective competitions and he didn't turn them around but still, that doesn't make him a bad coach.

I mean, he may well not be a great coach or maybe he's just a victim of over-expectation to turn around poor teams, I don't know.

He was just as confident after year one at the Reds - Coaching is like selling - you can have a vision but if you cant sell it to those that matter then it will end in tears. You need to be able to sell to the players and the board. The players will buy in and the board will offer you tenure. If you cant then you probably dont get either

The Reds have been cellar dwellers for some time so sympathy no doubt was in short supply on the board

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Anyone going to the Reds open day today?

I took my kids out yesterday and they enjoyed themselves. Was very relaxed with the Reds players mixing in with the crowd. They had a few things set up for kids to test their skills. Passing, vertical jump and 40m sprint. The Jumping castle was the biggest hit with my boys but they were a bit young to know who the players are. I would have said 1000+ would have been a stretch but it is something that could be built on and you could make quite a day out of it in the future. Quite a few people seemed to take the chance to sign up for membership. I think there was a car on offer to people who did.
The best part of the day was the sun being out in Brisbane and no sign of rain.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Reds supporters sign up at Ballymore fan day

Greg Holmes and young fan
Sunday, 17 October 2010
Over a thousand of the Reds strongest supporters have take advantage of a rare off-season opportunity to meet the Reds squad for 2011 and sign up as new members of the First XV.

The Reds, including the Reds Wallabies, gathered at Ballymore in perfect Queensland for the special fan day and new membership launch.

It was the first opportunity for new members to sign up as Reds supporters. Existing members have received their renewal packs in the mail.

Numerous fans took advantage of the opportunity to sign up on the day. Others will be able to sign up online at redsmembership@rugby.com.au or by ringing 1300 733 899.

For Coach Ewen McKenzie it was the first opportunity to address the 2011 Reds players as a group.
“The boys are enthusiastic about the year ahead and from what I have heard today the fans are too. The players understand how important it is to have strong support and they appreciated the chance today to thank fans for turning up and cheering them on.”

Children took advantage of the opportunity to take on their favourite player with speed and jumping tests. Players also signed autographs and shared their passing skills with young fans.

2011 pre-season training gets underway soon. The Reds Wallabies will be fulfilling their duties for Australia. Coach McKenzie said it was a good opportunity for Reds Academy players to step up again to offset the Wallabies on tour and the long term injured. This formula saw five Reds Academy players rewarded with playing opportunities during the 2010 season, and James Slipper going on to Wallaby selection.

T

TOCC

I don't think 7 is going to be the weakness in the Reds side that some people are making it out to be, let's not forget that Braid missed a few games in 2010 and the Reds still played there style..

Moving away from Gill firstly, Ed Quirk is a very good player who's long time position will probably be blindside flanker, but he is quite quick over 40m and can play a quite decent ball scavenger role and is a very good linkman,

I think we will see Shatz bulked up considerably in 2011 to become a genuine number 8 alternative, so I can't see him playing much at 7.

Then there is Lei Tomiki, people have commented on his 2010 form as been bad, well unless they went out to the trial matches to watch, then they are basing that opinion on the one game of rugby he actual played with the Reds at S14. Lei is a very good ball scavenger, numerous injuries hindered him In 2010, McKenzie was his coach in NSW for a short time and also coached against him in France, so I think he was signed on a little bit more then reputation.

Let's then not forget about the Academy, Beau Robinson and Ben Corridas are rumored to have signed as well, I doubt both have but I suspect at least one of them has.

Then there is Gill, firstly he was to small and now he is to young, I don't personally think either are true, from what I've seen he seems mature enough to step up and with a full off-season I suspect he will be physical prepared as well. Undoubtedly Gill will be rested throughout 2011 by Link, it's a luxury he is afforded with a decent supply of alternative 7's to pick from.

If anything is true, it is that we are spending to much time debating this specific topic, the only way those discussion will be solved is at the completion of 2011 Super Rugby season.

Status
Not open for further replies.