• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Only week 2. Reds couldn't get the ball for the first half an hour, and there was much more kicking than I thought from Quade.

All can be fixed up in time for the rest of the season. They just looked half asleep out there and the early score didn't help.

So chin up Reds fans.

I wish we could play these pricks again next week. The fucking condescending bullshit that is filtering in from south of the border is enough to make me steer clear of this forum for a good while. I would rather any-side beat them, than listen to the dribble. The club and supporters are so fair weather, and obnoxious and it is the reason why the club will crumble. Thank heavens when it does.

Except you, because you're off the fucking deep end. Take a breath princess, and try putting the tampon up the right hole next time.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
FFS, the Tahs by any standard have played stunningly good, exciting and lethally effective attacking rugby these two first rounds. It's been a joy to consume as a viewer or for any thoughtful fan of the game. Just as was watching the Reds play for most of 2010 and 2011, and in a small handful of their games in 2012 and 2013 (vs the Chiefs twice and the Tahs twice). Cheika is clearly doing a superb job in his second year in all of team culture, selections, skill development and mode of general play.

Meanwhile, the Reds' manifest decline in most of these parameters since early 2012 continues its steady march into a state of uneven mediocrity where the current appearance is of a team that will only be able to beat weaker teams, or the best teams on their occasional off days. This pattern has been steadily building, it's nothing new. Only the most blind Reds' fans are failing to recognise the core problems in the team now evident over such an extended period. No one could surely assess that the appalling standard of Reds' forwards technique and consistency, poor attacking guile, hapless kicking, and loose defence vs the Tahs with only 5 points resulting was the hallmark of a well-coached team improving on, for example, the woeful and similar collapse the Reds displayed against the Cru in the 2013 finals round (when the Cru adopted tactics and a game style very similar v the Reds to that of the Tahs on Saturday). The central issue is one of whether R Graham is a part-perpetrator of this gradual downtrend trend, or the sustainable fixer of it. We'll know soon enough, by about Round 6-7 or so I'd guess.

If anyone here surmises that we all don't have a huge, long-term vested interest in the Tahs bringing back economically viable crowd levels and, hopefully, winning this year's S15 as part of this process, they simply do not grasp the seriousness of the code's financial plight in 2014. Has Cheika arrived in the nick of time, or 3 years or so too late, is the burning question of the day regarding the Tahs' business revival prospects. The answer, for us rugby lovers, is scarily uncertain.

Spitting bile at the alleged largesse the ARU has doled out to the Tahs conveniently forgets to mention the huge multi-million $ emergency bailout the Reds had to obtain in 2009 in order to avoid bankruptcy after the most egregious of local QLD rugby management failures and long-dated incompetence in responsibly running the QRU to that point.

If the Tahs sink as a business (and they are perilously close to that), with the ARU almost totally out of spare funds for large bail-outs, the whole of Aus rugby will be threatened as the cost of resurrecting such a major franchise may not be fundable with such a small fan base and within the context of the football-saturated Sydney market as it is today. The code with a vacated NSW S15 franchise - with all the resulting consequences coupled with the Wallabies' base in decline - could well be fatal for the ARU as a whole.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Only week 2. Reds couldn't get the ball for the first half an hour, and there was much more kicking than I thought from Quade.

All can be fixed up in time for the rest of the season. They just looked half asleep out there and the early score didn't help.

So chin up Reds fans.

Except you, because you're off the fucking deep end. Take a breath princess, and try putting the tampon up the right hole next time.
Not helping, Nick. Leave it alone. Please.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If anyone here surmises that we all don't have a huge, long-term vested interest in the Tahs bringing back economically viable crowd levels and, hopefully, winning this year's S15 as part of this process, they simply do not grasp the seriousness of the code's financial plight in 2014.

This is more or less how I got through the entirety of the second half. Felt like I was robbing Peter to pay Paul a bit, but if Paul goes we all do.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Spitting bile at the alleged largesse the ARU has doled out to the Tahs conveniently forgets to mention the huge multi-million $ emergency bailout the Reds had to obtain in 2009 in order to avoid bankruptcy after the most egregious of local QLD rugby management failures and long-dated incompetence in responsibly running the QRU to that point.

Loaning money (it was not a grant or a gift - it had to be repaid) is significantly different to *allegedly* doing everything in order to make one franchise more competitive than the others.

The first is keeping the franchise afloat (with no thought given to winning or losing), the second is *alleged* match fixing.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
The Reds absolutely got out-played Saturday night.

I lost money and tipping points on this game, definitely won't be underestimating these Tahs again.

Chelka-ball is really working - you could see it being developed last season but now it's in top gear.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Loaning money (it was not a grant or a gift - it had to be repaid) is significantly different to *allegedly* doing everything in order to make one franchise more competitive than the others.

The first is keeping the franchise afloat (with no thought given to winning or losing), the second is *alleged* match fixing.

o_O

That is fantastic, one loss to the again mighty Tahs (well this week anyway) and the tin hats and razor blades come out.

Some of you guys read like kiwis after another semi final loss at the RWc

It is round two. ...... ..... ..... get some perspective

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
o_O

That is fantastic, one loss to the again mighty Tahs (well this week anyway) and the tin hats and razor blades come out.

Some of you guys read like kiwis after another semi final loss at the RWc

It is round two. .. ... ... get some perspective

Buddy, read the thread again - old mate you quoted is shooting down the tin-foil antics of that lone, super butt hurt guy.

Reactions: gel

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Don't worry about it dude, they didn't read the context with which I wrote it (and that's the internet summed up in half a sentence), so its water off a ducks back.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
the tin-foil antics of that lone, super butt hurt guy.

I find this turn of phrase really amusing.

On more rugby related news - the seppuku going on is a bit premature. Coming at this as a Crusaders fan, in my part of the world it's perfectly acceptable for a team with a spine of regular internationals to get out of the blocks like a horse-drawn anvil (in this instance, the internationals are Kev, Slipper, Simmons, Cooper, Genia). They have long seasons, they're in important positions, and it feels like they try to deliberately not peak in March. I'm pretty confident that the Reds - and my beloved Crusaders - will be in the mix come finals time.

Obviously there are examples to the contrary (including the Tahs themselves, who have plenty of internationals and have still started pretty damn fast) but that's still what I think.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
All I can say is that come the end of the season, a person could have a field day quoting a few posts from the last few pages if they were so inclined!
Aaaaanywaaaaay, probably leave the Tahs game chat to the match thread and let this one get back to plain old Reds chat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I am still confident, with a conference system we need to beat our rivals over a two game stretch and then match them against overseas teams.

We have beaten the Brumbies away from home with a home ground advantage we should be able to hopefully be able to beat them so in essence the Brumbies will need to win two more games in the rest of the season to get ahead of the Reds.

As for the Tahs we need to beat them at home and this brings us even so we may be able to top them by collecting bonus points.

It hurts to get beaten by a big rival, but we need to remember that the Tahs are the favourites in many eyes, even the CEO of Australian Rugby. I would be more upset if we lose to the Force and Rebels. Being beaten by a good team is acceptable.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not helping, Nick. Leave it alone. Please.

It WAS helping. Me. Have fun. :)

Anyway - what's up with S Finger? He had a lot of strapping on that he had cut off partway through. Didn't look 100% to bgein with.

Plus I really rate Chibba. He's bloody good. Third best hooker in the country at least.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
To put things into perspective: the Reds play their two most rated Oz rivals away from home the first two weeks; to come away with one win, albeit probably one they didn't expect while losing the other they're used to winning, is a pretty good outcome. The Reds would have to fancy themselves away against the Force and Rebels and we'd all agree they're favourites against the other Aussie sides at Suncorp. I'd wager the Reds'll win four and lose two of the remaining six Aussie matchups. That's a five/three result at worst, could be six/two. Not bad, not bad at all.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Alright this has got to stop. We lose to the Tahs and we lose our shit and start sobbing in the corner and it's Tahs fans that are holding our hands, patting our heads and saying, it's alright fellas, you guys are still good!
I've seen some fucking weird shit on the Internet but this takes the cake! ;-)
It has to stop or else I'm worried that some strange internet vortex will open up and swallow us all. It's that weird.

But seriously, good job on pumping us back up. The hate thing has been getting old for a while now and I would be stoked if we just got on with the job of playing fast, open, positive rugby.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Alright this has got to stop. We lose to the Tahs and we lose our shit and start sobbing in the corner and it's Tahs fans that are holding our hands, patting our heads and saying, it's alright fellas, you guys are still good!
I've seen some fucking weird shit on the Internet but this takes the cake! ;-)
It has to stop or else I'm worried that some strange internet vortex will open up and swallow us all. It's that weird.

But seriously, good job on pumping us back up. The hate thing has been getting old for a while now and I would be stoked if we just got on with the job of playing fast, open, positive rugby.

I don't think it will stop until we have at least had one comment comparing the current coaching setup to Nazi Germany. Then we will have hit the low point.

Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies[1][2]) is an assertion made by American attorney and author Mike Godwin in 1990[2] that has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."[2][3] In other words, Godwin said that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The forwards were just like Hitler, lots of talk but expected everyone else to do the hard work for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.