• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If my memory serves me correctly when Kev first became captain there was some concern that he had too much mongrel and would get himself in trouble. The thought was we needed a captain who was on the field and not in the sin bin.

We have never seen this anger return, I don't know if it his attitude or injuries that stop him playing an abrasive style of rugby.

I suppose I don't give a real shit about 'mongrel"

Just want the bloke to charge at the line, make metres and motivate the others piggies.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Not surprised Chibbas been shifted to the bench! Stepping running and scoring like he did last week, that's backs territory!

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Is being from QLD holding them back, before the revival of the Reds in the pat few years there seemed to be a lot of old boys and people who got their jobs due to their backgrounds and histories.

I may be wrong but didn't the Reds look a little bit outside the box and recruit from Victoria and AFL? Jim Carmichael seems to have worked out pretty well. Link seemed to work out and the influx of NZ Queenslanders has been pretty effective too.

I think the resurgence of Rugby in QLD has been due to having the foresight to seek input from outside the code and it's traditional base and try new things, proactively seeking memberships has been a real difference.

I think this concept of hiring people suited to the job is something the ARU need to look at.

Good luck to the current coaching team and I wish them all the best, but if the hiring had anything to do with who they played with or where they were born then I hold grave fears for the success we wish for.

I think the important consideration here is that using locals in coaching roles if you have the stock is a positive but only if the individuals have served their time applying their trades elsewhere in the world/country.

Examples that spring to mind are first, the ARU. We had Dingo Deans from NZ as the Wallaby coach but there (in hindsight) was a spark missing. In comes Link McKenzie who has had considerable experience including in France, and after an initial settling in period with a somewhat demoralized side from the Lions loss, is now rollocking along under the Aussi coach.

And secondly, there is Michael Cheika, who has done his coaching overseas including in Ireland. Since he has returned to his state, the Waratahs slowly but surely have been improving their game.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If he can pull his head in I'd be over the moon to have JOC (James O'Connor) in the squad. We'd also get him for pennies on the dollar you'd think, all things considered.

It's all bullshit until JOC (James O'Connor), his manager, or a Reds coach/administrator says something about it anyway.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I can see the downside (obviously) but he's a hell of a player. I guess the questions are has he grown? Is Cooper mature enough to influence him or would it be the other way around? Where would we play him? Actually need give us a little grunt on that inside pass from Cooper.

What position had he been playing?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I share the same sentiments. If he leaves his bullshit behind him then you'd be a mug not to want him on the field. It's just whether you want him in the organisation and you can't have one and not the other.

He's proven time and time again that he is almost incapable or unwilling to change and for that reason I don't really want him at the Reds.

As for where he'd play. He's a 10 obviously. JOC (James O'Connor) to 10 and Quade to 7.

Reactions: BDA

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You'd slot him in on the wing or fullback for the Reds immediately.

If JOC (James O'Connor) can get his attitude right then he'd be an excellent signing. The guy is a class player.

Pretty much every young player who has had behavioural issues has eventually outgrown them. I see no reason to suspect that JOC (James O'Connor) won't do the same at some point.

something

Jim Clark (26)
^ 6 months ago people were saying 'never again' , just testament that time heals all wounds.

in saying that i also agree :D if he can stop being a jive turkey then let the boy play!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
When JOC (James O'Connor) outgrows his behavioural issues then I would love him at the Reds. I just worry that he is the exception to the rule and I honestly wonder if he ever will outgrow them. Until he does, he could very well be too big a liability.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
You'd slot him in on the wing or fullback for the Reds immediately.

Actually need give us a little grunt on that inside pass from Cooper.

Apparently, Digby also expressed an interest in returning from Europe to play for the Reds.

Which bad boy (and ego) would you prefer of the two?

On the wing, I'd probably go for Digby to add that bit of grunt. Unfortunately, he may have marked his card with Jim Carmichael.

Send them both to the Force?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Love Digby, but he's a broken horse and I haven't seen much of anything coming out of him in Europe to indicate that bringing him back into the Reds would do anything other than possibly provide short-term benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.