• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Its all well and good making excuses for the bloke

FFS he's had chance after chance whilst at the top level.- runeportedly he had to be taken to hospital on the last night of the wallabies EOYT in an ambo because he was THAT pissed

Fantastic if he changes but I wouldn't pay the bloke whilst he's changing (if he can ever do that)

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Beale somehow managed to get a date with a Judge. He (JOC (James O'Connor)) would still be scrutinized just as much as he would in Sydney or Melbourne.

Respectfully disagree - there are much bigger temptations in the big smokes of Melbourne and Sydney. Don't get me wrong you can get in trouble anywhere; you can punch a bouncer in Goondiwindi if you're so inclined.

As to the scrutiny he would face:

If he has genuinely calmed down, pulled his head in and is growing up - he is likely to buy himself a house down toward the Gold Coast, get a dog and become as interesting as Quade has. Even if the media are closely scrutinising him, there's a limit to the amount of Tabloid gossip bullshit they can derive from a mature, beige existence, e.g. him choosing say, a Blue Heeler (ZOMGWILLHEDEFECTTONSWFORSTATEOFORIGINBECAUSETHEDOGISBLUE)

Further, in Brisbane we only really have that "respected publication" the Courier Mail interested in his goings on, whereas in Melbourne and Sydney you've got the major centres for the vast majority of the news we get in Australia.

But hey, I could be wrong - it has happened once or twice before.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Brisbane would be a good place for him - its pretty hard to get in trouble in such a big country town.

I don't know - Chris Walker gave it a red hot go a number of times. Granted he was a leaguie, and leaguies have a knack for getting into trouble in the unlikeliest of places, but still..

Oh and hang on, didn't Kurtley Beale get into some shit at the Vic a few years back? God I wish that place had never been rebuilt after it burned down.

T

tranquility

Of course a bloke can get in trouble in Brisbane, but the point is it's a country town compared to Sydney and Melbourne, so it would be less likely. Plus he would be closer to family. Not sure how I feel about it though, unless we got him for peanuts.

T

Tip

Beale somehow managed to get a date with a Judge. He (JOC (James O'Connor)) would still be scrutinized just as much as he would in Sydney or Melbourne.

I bared witness to this...
Writing your name on a wall with your Urine outside one of Brisbanes biggest clubs will generally book you a date with a judge.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Respectfully disagree - there are much bigger temptations in the big smokes of Melbourne and Sydney. Don't get me wrong you can get in trouble anywhere; you can punch a bouncer in Goondiwindi if you're so inclined.

Perhaps I'm uneducated about the temptations that exist in Sydney and Melbourne that isn't here, any chance you could fill me in? After all, we have CBD Apple store which Melbourne doesn't have!!

Anyway, it doesn't matter if Brisbane is just a "big country town", news travels internationally, reporters will pick up on everything a player does and before you know it some pundit in the UK will be on the TV talking about it. Hell, remember when Cooper lost his sailor legs on Straddie, tried to pick up a chick and got denied? That still made news headlines - same with the dickhead who poured beer on his head and Quade walked away.

So even if he moved out west to play with the Goondiwindi Emu's, got pissed and smacked a bloke, Danny Wielder will somehow still report it and it'll spread like wildfire. The Reds (and any super rugby team for that matter) are an international brand (albeit a small one compared to the Roundball teams) and have people following it that lap up this kind of gossip. Hell, every time Warnie breaks up with Liz Hurley we hear about in the news for weeks.

T

tranquility

Any number of venues that don't close. Revolver, Tramp, Survivor to name a few.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Apparently, Digby also expressed an interest in returning from Europe to play for the Reds.

Which bad boy (and ego) would you prefer of the two?

On the wing, I'd probably go for Digby to add that bit of grunt. Unfortunately, he may have marked his card with Jim Carmichael.

Send them both to the Force?

Digby is hardly a bad boy.

Provided they behave, the reds would look very dangerous with Ioane and O'Connor on the wings.

Fact remains though, more than anything the Reds need at least 2 new props, a new TH lock and new big utility back-rower like Samo.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
AND a penetrating 12 and/or 13, a dynamic 15 (like Folau) a couple of huge wingers (like Jonah) , a top 9 who can snipe and box kick

No worries mate - I'm going to win Lotto as well on Saturday night - yeah right

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
AND a penetrating 12 and/or 13, a dynamic 15 (like Folau) a couple of huge wingers (like Jonah) , a top 9 who can snipe and box kick

No worries mate - I'm going to win Lotto as well on Saturday night - yeah right

JOC (James O'Connor) for 15 will do fine, as long as it is not a 1 year deal. What is concerning about this is that you seem to think we need Burgess at 9.

As @Ash said a prop and big running backrower are more important. Trouble is we play mobile props because of the backrow. Short of stealing Higgers back and convincing Palmer to return there are few options available.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Its all well and good making excuses for the bloke

FFS he's had chance after chance whilst at the top level.- runeportedly he had to be taken to hospital on the last night of the wallabies EOYT in an ambo because he was THAT pissed

Fantastic if he changes but I wouldn't pay the bloke whilst he's changing (if he can ever do that)
He's a waste of time as a bloke. Born with talent but he subtracts more than he adds.

Give a chance to someone who will actually contribute.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Oh dear, not the James O'Connor crap again. Good to hear that Digby might want to come back though.

It was asked what was the difference between the two. The and answer is that Digby wears his heart on his sleeve and not his brand.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Of all the Australian Super Rugby franchises, I reckon the Reds are the only one with the culture to deal with Brando Bieber, and turn him around (if that is possible).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
JOC (James O'Connor) for 15 will do fine, as long as it is not a 1 year deal. What is concerning about this is that you seem to think we need Burgess at 9.

As @Ash said a prop and big running backrower are more important. Trouble is we play mobile props because of the backrow. Short of stealing Higgers back and convincing Palmer to return there are few options available.

I would love Laurie Weeks to come back to Ballymore - then you would have a good scrum - you can have Palmer, bloke is a potplant and will never change - the game of rugby has./

I don't particularly want Burgess - would much prefer for Genia to get his mojo back from a couple of years ago. He WAS the best half in the world then but now he is not even the best half in Australia. (week in and week out)

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would not bring back JOC (James O'Connor) because I am worried about his influence on other players but mostly because if is good for the young up and comers to see that no matter how much skill you have there are consequences. He is a good example of why the younger brigade need to be disciplined

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Of all the Australian Super Rugby franchises, I reckon the Reds are the only one with the culture to deal with Brando Bieber, and turn him around (if that is possible).

I'd have said the Brumbies.

Now that Quade is coming good in a big way, you wouldn't want bringing James O'Connor back to threaten that.

The Reds would be better off spending their money on getting...
a) A time machine to get Radike Samo back
b) A shit-hot tighthead prop
c) Horwill and Genia back in A grade form

Status
Not open for further replies.