• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Do you mean the 28 year old who has played his ring off for them this season? A number of people have said that Mathewson is the form half back of the Aussie conference ATM.

Yeah thats a dumb comment, right now if Mathewson was playing in NZ he would probably be the All Blacks number 7.. He would be the Wobs one if he was Aussie..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Would Karmichael be an Izzy?

"Izzy was a massive."

I assume you mean, he was a massive success or outlier case. I am not suggesting that Karmichael would have as much success, as he is not as good of an athlete, but what relevance does that have to anything?

He would be a bloody good player, and someone worth sounding out.

Sorry,My Quote didn't express my thoughts well.

Karmichael would be awesome for most teams... but at 12 To'omua is better ..so to think he be an absolute star I dont think that.

Izzy is the Best 15 in Super Rugby at the moment probably make any team in league or union..

someone better then him at fullback Maybe Greg Inglis would challenge him..but that's a different game.

Oh and Im not a league fan, but my god Inglis is good.. Wow .. just wow

T

tranquility

Sorry,My Quote didn't express my thoughts well.

Karmichael would be awesome for most teams. but at 12 To'omua is better ..so to think he be an absolute star I dont think that.

Izzy is the Best 15 in Super Rugby at the moment probably make any team in league or union..

someone better then him at fullback Maybe Greg Inglis would challenge him..but that's a different game.

Oh and Im not a league fan, but my god Inglis is good.. Wow .. just wow

Yeah I still don't see what you"re getting at. We are talking about the Reds, and Karmichael would be a walk up start in either position, and be an absolute star in Rugby Union.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Thanks for relaying this article Tranq.

Hmmm..so the friendly journo, loyal Jim Tucker, is letting us know that squad deficiencies are the key issue..and then in the very same place Jim Carmichael endorses RG as the rugby teacher and 'the long term coach of the Reds, the right man for the job'. Jim T lets us know that 'no one is panicking'.

The pressure must be telling. It's all a squad problem really, the coach is here to stay.

We've been here before, another time, another place.

Thing is, we aren't bringing players into the team that have never played rugby before.

We don't need a teacher, we need a coach!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
OK, now the response of The Reds Establishment is becoming clearer.

I have pasted in the whole article below as not everyone here subscribes to The Australian online or otherwise. This article and all it reveals is important.

The problem is clearly with the Reds players not being quite good enough and not complying adequately with RG's thoughtful game plan.

This coach is here to stay, the QRU Chairman no less has declared.

And the Reds' players have been found out as too small - the team has to get bigger and team redesign is thus in the wings. (Note though the confirmation that RG was given free rein over team selections and recruitment throughout 2013.)

Reds need to follow the game plan, because King Richard is here to stay

WAYNE SMITH THE AUSTRALIAN APRIL 28, 2014 12:00AM

BAD enough that the Queensland Reds had to endure a side-by-side comparison with the Hurricanes on Saturday night. Far worse was the back-to-back contrast with the Western Force.

In beating the Bulls in the rain in Perth in the match that directly followed Queensland’s Waterloo-in-Wellington, the Force were everything that the Reds were not — organised, calm, united and proactive. Oh, and they were in front at the back end of proceedings, which meant there was no need to try anything crazy, a need the Reds seem to feel and feed more and more these days.

The wet condition didn’t permit subtlety and the Force don’t do subtlety anyway, so it all worked out for the best. The situation called for grit and determination and directness and the Force, under coach Michael Foley, have those attributes in abundance. And so the unlikeliest juggernaut in Super Rugby not only rumbled on but picked up speed.

More and more the Reds are feeling the pressure of the scoreboard, both of them — the match-day scoreboard and also the wider season scoreboard, on which they now find themselves last in the Australian conference and third-last overall.

That’s pretty much where the Reds were camped between 2004 and 2009, when third-last was their best result. Queensland supporters had thought they’d seen the end of such dark days when their side won the title in 2011 but now, too soon, the Reds are back there again.

They looked chaotic in Wellington, at times little more than a panicky rabble. Every team makes mistakes but the Reds these days compound them, heaping one on top of another until eventually it almost comes as a relief when the opposition scores, if only to put an end to this black comedy of errors.

They don’t look fit, they’re constantly being overrun in the second half and so much pressure is being heaped on Quade Cooper that when he reached into his top hat these days, it’s not a white rabbit he’s likely to pull out but a rancid rat. The magician who four years ago kicked the ball behind his own goalposts to spark an astonishing breakout is now accidentally kicking it dead over his own dead-ball line. Something is seriously amiss.

One glance at my inbox yesterday was all it took to localise who Reds fans are blaming for this mess. “Can we get a coach with a decent record rather than King Dick?” implored one. “It’s time Richard G was called out!” thundered another ... King Dick and Richard G being, of course head coach Richard Graham.

It’s fair to say most Queensland supporters had their doubts about Graham before the season even started. It wasn’t just that they weren’t sure anyone could match the work Ewen McKenzie had done over the previous four seasons. It’s that they weren’t sure Graham should have been the one handed the keys to the red Ferrari in the first place. He’d had more than his share of fender-benders during his time as Force coach and there was nothing in his resume that shouted “pick me!”

But pick him the Queensland Rugby Union did, because they saw in him the makings of an outstanding coach. They still see that, despite the fact his stats as a Super Rugby head coach now read 10 wins from 31. “He’ll be around for a while yet,” QRU chairman Rod McCall vowed yesterday.

The Reds have to start implementing his game plans. Graham’s instructions ahead of Saturday’s match was that the Hurricanes were so dangerous in broken play that any player kicking the ball into touch had to make certain it flew over the sideline hoardings to prevent quick lineout throws. What happened? The Canes took six of them!

A-ha, exclaim Cooper’s critics, he didn’t follow instructions ... see, told you there was a rift. But scratch beneath the surface. The Reds for long periods were trapped deep inside their own territory, defending desperately. So Cooper strives for every centimetre he can gain with his kicks to relieve the pressure. If he follows instructions the Reds are facing yet another defensive lineout 30m from their own line.

This is not to make excuses for Cooper, whose play has deteriorated markedly under the strain of being the only Red capable of sparking anything, but it does illustrate things are never as clear-cut as the quick fixers suggest.

The Reds better brace themselves for heartache because there’s a lot more heading their way. The side is in for an overhaul. McKenzie has all but been canonised at Ballymore but one whispered criticism of him is that he didn’t recruit well to cover holes in the Reds roster.

That’s fairly savage, given that the 2011 Reds side was the youngest ever to win a title, so why wouldn’t he stick with the same players? There’s also the fact that he stepped back from recruitment last year to allow Graham to shape the squad.

There’s no denying the Reds were caught short when the game went big all of a sudden, leaving Queensland with a small back-row equipped to play a brand of rugby that now looks outmoded.

The team that for a brief moment captured the imagination of world rugby is shrinking before our eyes.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
That "Australian" article even strengthens the calls for a new coach. With RG having full control over who was in the 2014 side.. well just look at the result of his selections.

I've been a Reds member for many years, even through the bad years. If RG is coach next year, doubt if I will renew. Anyone want to start a petition?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
That "Australian" article even strengthens the calls for a new coach. With RG having full control over who was in the 2014 side.. well just look at the result of his selections.

I've been a Reds member for many years, even through the bad years. If RG is coach next year, doubt if I will renew. Anyone want to start a petition?

The new notion from the QRU's senior officers that the central problem of the 2014 Reds is an inability to follow RG's excellently crafted game plans is so laughable and factually unsupported that frankly it's beneath contempt.

A diagnosis more compliant with some factual evidence is that the 2014 Reds are rapidly resembling a facsimile of the 2011 and 2012 Force.

The fact that RG's accumulated Super w-l % is now standing at 32% seems to worry the QRU not one jot. Even Deans would surely have been sacked if his Test w-l % had hovered at that appalling a level.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah anyone else want to abandon your team as soon as they have a bad run of form? We can just follow whoevers winning and have a great time

It works for the majority of sports fans in Sydney. It explains why the small coterie of diehard Tahs supporters have secret handshakes and signs to ensure we aren't talking to one of the usual band wagon jumpers down here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Only in Sydney, no one shows up regardless, they are too busy sipping Latte's at the Rocks to bother with such barbaric practices as 'rugby'

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
For the REDS to move forward:

Option 1
New Coach - very unlikely ATM
Option 2.
new 9 - also very unlikely
Option 3.
New 9 and 5 - also also very unlikely
Option 4.
new captain - definitely needs to happen
Option 5.
re-establish "culture" - it seems to have waned somewhat of late
Option 6.
all of the above

am sure some comments will be made ?????

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Only in Sydney, no one shows up regardless, they are too busy sipping Latte's at the Rocks to bother with such barbaric practices as 'rugby'
Idiot.
You can't get decent coffee in the Rocks.
Anyway, what's this got to do with us?:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Sure, it's been a mediocre season but the Reds are headed for a mid table finish.

Below their standards? Yes, but if you stuck through the bad years then why draw a line in the sand now?

Because we have the team to be in the finals, and coaching selections and decisions are clearly resulting in our poor performances.

T

Train Without a Station

Scrubber I don't agree with the new captain option. Horwill's history has shown he is clearly capable and I can't see a real viable placement screaming out. Perhaps Slipper, but just because he is a good player doesn't mean he is a good captain.

Option 5 seems to be a big one. I think this has to be coming down to one of three things:

1. RG isn't pushing the culture and discipline at training;
2. RG is pushing it and the players egos have grown and due to this, they feel they don't need to listen to some blow in;
3. RG is pushing it but without conviction and in tandem with half baked ideas the players aren't buying into it.

The possibility of number 2 is why I am cautious about the prospect of completely hanging him out to dry. If this is the case it's good McCall is backing him and perhaps letting a few players know that they can't just throw their toys of our the cot when things don't go their way.

At the same time I wonder if it's maybe 1 or 3. If that is the case then obviously RG isn't the right man for the job and the QRU should be searching to find the man that is and determining when he would be available.

In my view RG still deserves a little time. That time is quickly running out though. Previously we'd suffered a lot of close losses which decreased our ladder position.

The Hurricanes loss was a step further and if that continues, clearly the team is regressing and changes are necessary.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah anyone else want to abandon your team as soon as they have a bad run of form? We can just follow whoevers winning and have a great time

Bad run of form is implying the Reds this year had some kind of form to lose. They've been diabolical this season and RG and the top just keep spouting that same lines over and over again. That's what's agitating the fans, that there is clearly something wrong, but we're not seeing any form of steps forwards or any improvements.

I'm pretty sure if I kept making excuses for my stuff ups and not changing that my GF would have enough and walk out the door too.

Status
Not open for further replies.