• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

RH, nobody is saying give him plenty more room. I don't think anybody has not noted their concern with his seeming inability to change much. We're just saying don't base on 7 games.

The Reds have hit a bad run of form. I will be concerned if he is unable to arrest and turn it around in the remainder of the season.

Right now there's 2 options for the Reds. Back the coach and give him the chance to actually change it, knowing he has support, and importantly the players under him knowing that too. If he is unable to, behind the scenes we can look at long term alternatives and when they are available.

Alternatively we can punt him. Replace him with one of the assistants with no experience and let the season carry on similar to Tony Rea's time at the Brumbies.

One undermines the coach and sends the place into mass hysteria, the other cautiously looks forward, takes into account a decent sample size of form and is thinking not just beyond this year, but beyond 2015 too.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just btw: the 2014 Reds have played 9 games not 7. W-l % is thus 33% which (according to The Australian) is near RG's overall aggregate S15 w-l % record of 32%.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
No. You guys are making too much sense.

It's pitchforks and burning torches time, people!!!!

BURN THE WITCH!!!!

(but seriously, I am greatly troubled atm and not filled with a massive amount of confidence given the man's history - I don't think he can turn it around - but we will see)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
RH, nobody is saying give him plenty more room. I don't think anybody has not noted their concern with his seeming inability to change much. We're just saying don't base on 7 games.

The Reds have hit a bad run of form. I will be concerned if he is unable to arrest and turn it around in the remainder of the season.

Right now there's 2 options for the Reds. Back the coach and give him the chance to actually change it, knowing he has support, and importantly the players under him knowing that too. If he is unable to, behind the scenes we can look at long term alternatives and when they are available.

Alternatively we can punt him. Replace him with one of the assistants with no experience and let the season carry on similar to Tony Rea's time at the Brumbies.

One undermines the coach and sends the place into mass hysteria, the other cautiously looks forward, takes into account a decent sample size of form and is thinking not just beyond this year, but beyond 2015 too.

I get all your points TWAS.

But I do think 'mass hysteria' if RG was soon sacked seriously exaggerates the whole scenario. Most Reds members I know are already highly disillusioned with RG and hold him more than partly responsible for 2014's major decline in Reds performance. I think many of us would be uplifted if the QRU took such a tough decision along with a gutsy QRU announcement that it intended to get the team back on a track of improving excellence vs the obvious opposite we have today.

[Remember please: Reds members are paying serious $ (after the usual big Reds pre-season hype machine about how good the next season's going to be) to witness this decline, this whole deal is no charity show without people forking out their hard earned cash whilst the RG learning curve extends out in time.]

A scenario where, just for example, the best of QLD's Premier grade coaches was appointed Reds Interim Coach from say Round 11 with interim assistants appointed similarly would not at all be disastrous for fan support so long as fans were communicated with properly re future plans and the QRU's reasons for change.

And importantly, it's very hard to know what world-class coaches are seriously available until an open position is genuinely there, cleanly with no BS and ifs and buts. 'Subtle back door soundings' are so often leaked in rugby and that truly undermines an RG still in place as well as totally confusing fans. The Rea phase at the Brums meant the ACTRU bosses could jump on planes and openly seek the best as fast as possible and they did just that, very successfully as it turns out. If initiated now, an open process of seeking and signing need take no longer than 6-ish months thus allowing a new Reds coach to start late in 2014 and get the pre-season going well under his guidance.

So please let's not paint an RG sacking as some kind of frighteningly reckless move in terms of the Reds fan base or otherwise.

T

Train Without a Station

It is a fair point regarding if the Reds terminated RG's contract, it may assist them in procuring a quality replacement due to the openness of the process. My point more stems to the fact though, what are the names being thrown around as potential quality available coaches in general?

Wayne Smith? Most have noted his reluctance to leave NZ previously but he appears to be the only credentialed name thrown up for any position due to a number of recent appointments to international positions.

I think a Premier Grade coach would honestly make things worse. Not that a coach from the Hospitals Cup would be nowhere near up to it, but does there currently seem to be any good options worthy of a half season interim stint really, that wouldn't be picked solely as a last resort emergency option?

I agree members would be unhappy with the results. Do you really think serious fans will stop supporting after a single indifferent season? I could understand if we got to the end of the season and remain in 3rd last with no movements made to attempt to improve the following year.

I certainly agree the QRU can't just sit back and watch what they have built slowly (or possibly quite quickly) sink but to make large moves like what people are suggesting it is still a little early. If it needs to be done, it needs to be decided and done before the end of the season (a marker of 4 to 6 rounds remaining perhaps - possibly by the test window) and that isn't far away. I just think the consensus is, "RG you didn't immediately hit the ground run. NEXT" which I don't agree with. If by 3/4 of the way through the season, the team haven't managed to play something that resembles a thought out game plan and like the backs didn't just meet in the car park, then obviously he isn't having the affect on the playing group that a good coach would have regardless of other factors.

T

tranquility

Idiot.
You can't get decent coffee in the Rocks.
Anyway, what's this got to do with us?:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can't get decent coffee in Sydney can you..

You have to go to Fitzroy don't you? :rolleyes:

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Doubt the players will be impressed that after 4 years of being the best side in the competition at being able to change game plans they can't get the new coaches right after 9 games. If there is any inkling this suggestion has come from the coaching or managing staff things will be getting worse before they get better.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Honestly is RG the best man for the job? Is he the only one interested or available with the credentials? How does the QRU know, they didn't undertake any real sort of competitive selections process for his appointment?

Ask RG to reapply with all other contenders and undertake a proper selection process for a head coach and assistants.

IMO the method used in the appointment of RG can give rise to many of the issues that fans bring up when things go pear shaped. They can rightly say well how the hell did he get the job?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Doubt the players will be impressed that after 4 years of being the best side in the competition at being able to change game plans they can't get the new coaches right after 9 games. If there is any inkling this suggestion has come from the coaching or managing staff things will be getting worse before they get better.
I don't think anything is black & white.
Does Genia add the same value in '14 as he did in '11?
Ditto Kev.
How about Robbo?
No one has the same tolerance for errors for QC (Quade Cooper) today as they did in '11,yet many games were won on the back of sheer brilliance, but really low % options that are no longer tolerated today in an environment that expects wins as opposed to excitement.
How about the Finger twins,compare their output today with that in 2011.
How many guys did Link allow RG to bring in the side this year?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Obviously there are lots of questions surrounding the coaching of RG. Fair or not a coach is ultimately responsible for the performance of his team.

However I feel a bit sorry for him in that the number of tries the Reds have bombed culminating in a few extra losses have put him squarely in the sights.

Plenty of players and particularly backs need to be equally or more responsible than RG. The coach isn't the one who drops the friggin pill over the line. That is purely the players's fault.

T

Train Without a Station

He isn't. He is responsible for training and driving the work ethic. I'm cautious with comments because I don't know whether he is actually trying to drive the team and instil discipline in all aspects or whether he is glossing over these details.

He lives or dies by it, but realistically it may be his fault, or growing egos/loss of motivation by the players may be too. None of us are able to comment about that though.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think his lack of credentials and his shocking time at the Force has made us all sceptical of him. There were questions two years ago when he was appointed if he was the right man for the job.

He is responsible.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Just veering away from the coach briefly.

Who is still injured and does any one know when they're due back?

Gill - Cleared for this weekend
Shipperley
Kerevi
Toua
Placid

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Just veering away from the coach briefly.

Who is still injured and does any one know when they're due back?

Gill - Cleared for this weekend
Shipperley
Kerevi
Toua
Placid

Jonah played Premier footy two weeks ago and was with the Under 20's this weekend I'm pretty sure.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and I think Kerevi made his comeback for GPS last week?

Kurindrani is the other one.

and Turner of course.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Ah yep knew I'd forgotten some of them! Thanks

Wonder if any of the newbies will get a run now that our season is pretty much done.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Kurindrani was last seen in a moon boot a week ago so I don't think he'll be getting a run any time soon.

Pretty sure Kerevi played some minutes off the bench for GPS on the weekend, if he gets through a full game for the club and the Reds lose to the Blues this w/e I wouldn't be surprised if he gets chucked onto the bench for the next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.