• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Quirk and Schatz are small for their positions no matter which way you look at it.

Does Browning have the size and dynamism to be our like-for-like Samo replacement?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have no problem with bringing through these younger blokes who have been playing well in Premier Grade and youth rep levels but I still think if we're looking for a dynamic ball runner in the mould of Samo then we need to be looking outside the state for someone who is already established and could start at no.8 without having question marks about whether or not they have the ability to make an impact.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Does Browning have the size and dynamism to be our like-for-like Samo replacement?

Not yet, although with a big off-season in the gym he might get there size-wise. For such a young kid he has a mature head on his shoulders and experience playing at high levels. I'd imagine he will force his way into the starting side at some point in 2014 but can't see him being an impact bench player.

As one of the earlier posts suggested Caleb Timu would be more of the dynamism/size mould but he's gone to league.

I'm with TBD, we need to look elsewhere for short term options.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Remember when LINK flirted with the idea of having James Horwill play #6 (I think Higgers came off the bench in this 1 game experiment)

Well I'd be open to having Horwill move to No6, starting Ed ODonaghue in the row (has looked good in the 80 minute cameos this year when Horwill has been out)

It gives the pack more size & mongrel however I have no idea if Horwill would even be in the same breath as a Samo or higgers in terms of ball running from the backrow.

T

Tip

I believe the Reds would be better off filling the vacant backrower & frontrower squad spot with our two remaining Marquee player slots. We should be going bonkers for a Pacific Islander prop, whether they be from Fiji, Tonga, Samoa or Japan. I do not believe that there is enough front row depth in QLD at the moment to warrant the signing of a Premier grade prop, we need someone already there, that is able to pass on valuable experience and skills to the younger players.

Same argument with the Backrower, we need a big dynamic back rower to fill in the void that Radike's left. Browning, Ah Wong, Shatz, Quirk, Robinson, etc are not renown ball runners, and I really don't like the Reds chances next year without a back rower like Read and Mowen who bends the defensive line regularly.

We should be using our marquee slots to help fast track the development of these younger players, instead of throwing them in the cauldron and watching shit stew

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
[snip]

So if I've got my contracts right, the replacements I'd like to see would be..

[snip]

Well I think that was a good 15minutes well wasted, fuck you work!

Good writeup TL12. Plenty to be going on with there.

Have to say I've been impressed with Albert Anae's work at prop this year, him and Jono Owen did very well in that Lions game. Agree that Benny Daley might struggle to hold his place, as others have said, great around the field but gives a fair bit away in the scrum.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that after years of people criticising Higgers for playing loose (as he was told to do), some are now saying that's what we are missing!!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'd happily take Heinrich Brussow at 6, Pretty sure the Saffas don't want him in their national team so could be a potential steal.

. . . - - awaiting the abuse

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Oh, and don't forget that next year the matchday squads will be 23 with two props on the bench. Hence why at least one extra prop should be required in the squad (and perhaps EPS).

Hopefully Anae goes to LHP full time and the Reds dig up another third string hooker from elsewhere.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
I wouldn't say LFG, JS or EQ are small by any stretch of the immagination.
Just to compare I puuled up some numbers from their respective franchise websites:

Liam Farkin Gill: 184cm 96Kg
Ed Quirk: 191cm 108kg
Jake Schatz: 192cm 109kg
Dave Dennis: 192cm 110kg
M Hooper:182cm 101kg
David Pocock: 184cm 104kg
George Smith: 180cm 104kg
Richie McCaw: 187cm 107kg
Kieran Read: 193cm 110kg

Weight is maybe important but it is not the most important thing for a backrow.
Thierry Dusautoir is 186cm for 100kg for example!

By the way, as I'm also following Premier Rugby, why a guy like Dion Taumata is never considered as a possible recruit for the Reds?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
i wouldn't mind if we picked up one of the kings backrowers if they get relegated?

Engelbrecht, Van der Walt, Du Preez have impressed me.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Weight is maybe important but it is not the most important thing for a backrow.
Thierry Dusautoir is 186cm for 100kg for example!

By the way, as I'm also following Premier Rugby, why a guy like Dion Taumata is never considered as a possible recruit for the Reds?

He was. Then dropped off the radar this year.

Maybe he is injured?

T

TOCC

What's happening with the Fainga'a twins, I thought they only signed 12
Month contracts last year

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
In my opinion Brussow is a fetching style open side, which the Reds already have in Gill.

Yeah, but it would be an entertaining backrow with a solid ball runner at 8. Brussow has the 6 on his back so you could still keep Gill in the starting XV. Teams would have to really pay attention to the breakdown in order to not get pilfered every 3 minutes.

Totally unrealistic, I know.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah, but it would be an entertaining backrow with a solid ball runner at 8. Brussow has the 6 on his back so you could still keep Gill in the starting XV. Teams would have to really pay attention to the breakdown in order to not get pilfered every 3 minutes.

Totally unrealistic, I know.

Brussow has the 6 on his back in a Saffa team, so he has a 7 on his back everywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.