• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
While LFG is only 21, and "has time to grow", he really does need to be around the 100 kg mark to be competitive without compromising too much in his speed.

Being a little more chunky may be that Point of Difference that he needs over Super Hooper to secure the Wobs #7 jumper.

And while the stats put up show only 2cm difference I find it very hard to believe. Gill is at least a few inches taller than Hooper and creeps into being tall enough to be a line out option.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
And while the stats put up show only 2cm difference I find it very hard to believe. Gill is at least a few inches taller than Hooper and creeps into being tall enough to be a line out option.

Gill might have had a late growth spurt this year, after praying to his fairy godmother every night before going to bed - "I wish I might......."

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
A lot of those heights and weights reported on club websites are pretty wrong (and are known to be).

Weights are harder to tell, but heights are fairly easy to pick up.

There's plenty of players you see that would be lucky to be 5'11 or 5'12 being listed as 185cm or some such height.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Regardless of how "wrong" the stats are, and I absolutely understand why the figures are inflated (often) or understated (not all that often), LFG still needs to be about 100kg (16 stone in the old currency) to be more effective in the breakdown and his linking plays. ATM I reckon he is probably around 94-96 kg.

T

TOCC

Need a wealthy benefactor to come forth with a third party contract if they were to get SBW.... But gee that would be a marketing coup

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I remember reading earlier that Kerevi had been signed to the EPS but not sure about Kris Kuridrani. Courier Mail (print edition only it seems) reporting today that both have been signed to the EPS and that the Reds were trying to keep it a bit hush hush for some reason.

I haven't seen either play but from all reports they (Kerevi at least) have been dominating at Prem Grade.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Coming from a GPS supporter who has watched Kuridrani for many years, his selection in EPS would have made more sense a couple of seasons ago before he broke his leg. Yes he is still a good player but doesn't have that WOW factor anymore from the 2011(I think) season when he was really a handful.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Unfortunately this means Jonah Placid probably wont be getting a look in.

The same thing happened when they originally picked Joel Faulkner in the EPS last year, everyone was left scratching their heads, even Easts supporters.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Placid is pretty unreal at times.

However I would want him to nail down a fulltime position in prems before he gets the nod. I know its hard because toua has pushed him out. However i just feel Reds College and Prem Grade would be best fo rhim next year.

I don't want him to become the victim of trumped up expectation

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
These days they probably need 5 props in the main squad plus at least one in the wider training squad, so you'd think that the Reds 5 props would be Slipper, Holmes, Anae, Daley, Owens.

Denny and/or Kite would surely have to be in the EPS, or one in the squad and the other in the EPS if they decide to roll with 6 props in the main squad.

Regarding Anae, am I the only one that wants to see him at LH only from here on in? I think he would be the best scrummaging LHP the Reds have, going on this year's performances. Wouldn't be surprised if Anae knocks Holmes to the bench next year and gets plenty of starts at 1. Anae also is pretty handy around the field and with the ball in hand. edit: pretty sure you have Anae backwards, I thought he was a hooker cum prop.

Regarding Daley, Daley was a key player for the Reds in 2011 around the park, and a key reason why the scrum struggled. Daley was one of the main ball carriers in the pack and a work horse around the park. The Reds missed some of the work Daley did, but I still don't think it's worth carrying Daley for his liability in the scrums. They need to get another forward who can drag players over the advantage line from somewhere else.

Oh, and the Reds need a strong wider running backrower, who can carry mid field. Playing tight is fine, but the Reds forwards all tend to play very close to the ruck. Higgers played a wider role in previous years to great effect, and the plenty of the Crusaders forwards knew when to pop up midfield for an effective hit up (Whitelock, Romano, Read) when needed. Something that the Reds lacked this year, making their forward runners easy to pick off. When you keep coming around the corner one out, it gets very predictable and easy to defend if you can't get over the advantage line often.

Given what you have just said, it makes me wonder why Daley wasn't the one to be converted into a hooker. It is an almost perfect fit for him.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Placid is pretty unreal at times.

However I would want him to nail down a fulltime position in prems before he gets the nod. I know its hard because toua has pushed him out. However i just feel Reds College and Prem Grade would be best fo rhim next year.

I don't want him to become the victim of trumped up expectation

Too long delaying might cause another province to step in with an offer. Reds need to do everything they can to keep talents like Placid.

T

tranquility

Too long delaying might cause another province to step in with an offer. Reds need to do everything they can to keep talents like Placid.

Big time.

The thought of Tapuai, Placid & Sautia in the same backline is a pretty nice thought.

Viva la red

T

TOCC

Curtis Browning obviously has a bright future by all reports, I've only watched him play a few times but he seems to be of the the Owen Finnegan mould, not necessarily in physique but in playing style..

It'll be interesting to see where he fits into the picture with Shatz and Quirk, both of whom should be looking over their shoulders...

The other big item of the week is the Ben Tapuai non selection in the Wallaby squad, whilst not a surprise given his form it does indicate that link was unimpressed with him at super rugby level and thus centre may be another position which will be up for grabs during the off season.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

People said this about browning yet another year did him wonders, and how injuries usually go for us. I have no doubt he will get game time at some point.
He still has another year of Aus 20's as well so lets just let it all play out for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.