• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
He broke his collarbone in 2012 in South Africa

And broke would be a little of an understatement. Completely smashed might be a better description.

I also feel that he might have been carrying a few little niggling injuries this season. Hopefully some time off to get right & a preseason to get fit might be a good thing.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
The lad has stagnated since he has come on the scene and what was once impressive for an 18 year old is only solid/handy for a 23 year old.

JOC (James O'Connor) needs to settle on 1 position maybe 2 and just play there consistently. I think a year abroad would do him a world of good

Sorry I have to disagree, fair enough he's had a slow year at 10, but put him on the wing or and FB and he's still got it.

He goes well on the field, it's his off field antics that put him off side with alot of people.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sorry I have to disagree, fair enough he's had a slow year at 10, but put him on the wing or and FB and he's still got it.

He goes well on the field, it's his off field antics that put him off side with alot of people.

I see the big thing with JOC (James O'Connor) being the fact that he wants to be a 10 but he is not a ten. The sooner someone grows some balls & tells him, and he listens the better off all of us will be.

I think that his antics are the real issue. Maybe a season or two overseas would be good for him. Hopefully it will mean that he will grow up. Either way can we please not have him at the Reds. Him, QC (Quade Cooper) & KB (Kurtley Beale) need to be kept apart as much as possible as I think they are all a bad influence on each other.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
^^ Agree there, he definitely needs to grow up. He almost needs a big brother of sorts to keep in line and knock some sense into him, show him what he's got and what he's got to lose.

I can't relate but being capped at 17 or 18 for your country and having people watch every move you make on and off the field must take it's toll.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think we have better wingers and fullbacks then JOC (James O'Connor) these days.

Maybe he could develop into a solid fullback but he needs to have practice at it. Maybe a year of playing 15 at saracens is what he needs?

Problem with JOC (James O'Connor) is that although he is also a handy centre, you would have to play a specific system with a specific types of players around him.

EDIT: when i say we i mean Australia as a whole

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Don't doubt that it is hard growing up in the spot light but there are names out there that have done it and are still fairly level headed blokes - David Pocock, Liam Gill (not that he is grown up yet ;)), Richie McCaw, David Campese (contraversial I know) and I am sure there are a few others but these are the ones that I know, off the top of my head, that first repersented their country in their teens.

Perhaps he needs a chaperone.....

masai

Frank Nicholson (4)
I see the big thing with JOC (James O'Connor) being the fact that he wants to be a 10 but he is not a ten. The sooner someone grows some balls & tells him, and he listens the better off all of us will be.

I'm by no means JOC (James O'Connor)'s biggest fan, but this blind witch-hunt has gotten out of hand. What indication has JOC (James O'Connor) given since the end of the Lions series that he sees himself only as a five-eighth? Sure, before the series he was making some noise, but at that point he had never been given the opportunity at test level, and he was reasonably effective there for the Rebels. Even GAGR's own Scott Allen said five-eighth was JOC (James O'Connor)'s best position before the first test. Now that he's had the opportunity, he's changed his tune.

"I've said I want to play No.10, but in saying that I just want to be part of the team," O'Connor said. "I want to be on the field. Being part of the series has been awesome. That atmosphere is amazing. I'll play wherever I can. I would like to nut down a position, maybe No.10, maybe somewhere else."
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/position-change-beckons-for-oconnor-20130707-2pjl5.html

He's not the smartest bloke by any means, but he is literate and I can guarantee you that he's read the criticism of every last living Wallaby and Lions legend as well as several test and provincial coaches. They all had the balls to tell him he's a hopeless five-eighth, and based on that quote, he's listened. He's not exactly going to come out and say "I'm a club-level player at best at five-eighth. If the coach picks me there, I'm going to tell him to piss off." He's said in about as clear terms as possible that he knows he's played poorly and he wants to develop in whichever position the coach thinks is best for him. That's exactly the attitude I want from a young talent.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
the Roar is saying Nonu is unwanted by every NZ franchise, I honestly would not mind having him as an overseas player, he could be devastating on the end of a Cooper or Genia pass.

Possibly too old, but surely one or two seasons would possible. I would assume that he must be a hard trainer to have such a long great career, this might also inspire Taps to train harder and stay in better shape

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Reds are fine at 12 and 13 next season currently - Taps, Harris, A. Fainga'a, CFS.

It's at wing and fullback that they have lost siginifcant firepower and depth. Those are the positions to worry about. At this stage, I don't see who they can get to strengthen their side, either.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
the Roar is saying Nonu is unwanted by every NZ franchise, I honestly would not mind having him as an overseas player, he could be devastating on the end of a Cooper or Genia pass.

Possibly too old, but surely one or two seasons would possible. I would assume that he must be a hard trainer to have such a long great career, this might also inspire Taps to train harder and stay in better shape

I'd prefer JOC (James O'Connor). When was Nonu's last good game in Super Rugby?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The Reds are fine at 12 and 13 next season currently - Taps, Harris, A. Fainga'a, CFS.

It's at wing and fullback that they have lost siginifcant firepower and depth. Those are the positions to worry about. At this stage, I don't see who they can get to strengthen their side, either.
I would rate Nonu above them all, at the moment.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I'd prefer JOC (James O'Connor). When was Nonu's last good game in Super Rugby?
I think that when considering JOC (James O'Connor) you have to factor in his impact on the teams attitude. He is a better than average player, but I think his presence off the field will make the team worse as a whole.

This might not be true, or may be able to be changed, but why take the risk? I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) is good enough to risk affecting the team

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Some of the posts here suggesting JOC (James O'Connor) is over rated make my head spin. There is some serious hair cut hate going on.

So lets try a little Super Rugby 2013 trivia game.

How many players in the whole comp made 5 or more linebreaks this year?

65 (12%)

How many of those ran 650+ metres?

How many of those made 10 or more offloads?

How many of these made 3 or more try assists?

7(1%)

Who's left from the whole comp?

Bernard Foley, Tim Nanai-Williams, Drew Mitchell, Rene Ranger, Quade Cooper, Israel Folau, James O'Connor. And of those only one makes significantly more ground ball in hand, Folau.

People can argue O'Connor isn't a ten, but there is something seriously wrong if we can't find a way to get the best out of this guy in Super Rugby, be it at 12, 11, 14 or 15. Or frankly, 10.

As for Wallabies, madness not to play him, madness not to resolve whatever the issue is.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Kid has talent, but has not done it every week for the Rebels.

Know one wants a Gavin Henson.

Reds should sign from within the Qld Premier Competition and maybe one overseas development player from NZ or SA if someone good comes along.

Even someone like Fernandez from Argentina would be handy

Status
Not open for further replies.