• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
as i have said on this and other posts, JOC (James O'Connor) should go back to Qld and play at 14/15 for the reds, solving some of your problems.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That is why I emphasised developing rugby nation. I'm not talking about bringing a guy over from a French Division who is going to demand a large amount of money or even Europe at all. You only have to look at the previous world cup and the blokes from pacific island nations or America would be ideal and could prove very marketable. Provided we can get the right price, I can't see any harm in having a foreign player who can act as a mentor for our young cattle and return home after his 2 year stint with extra knowledge and experience to pass on. The question is do you target a young bloke looking to add on his game, who could be more expensive and perhaps a liability but a long-term prospect or a bloke in his twilight years looking to play in the best competition in the world before he retires. The latter would be my choice, you only have to look at Samo and Smith to see the value in that situation.

I think both those young guys mentioned above (Green, Placid) are a minimum 2 years off being super rugby ready and that is just realistic. They might make the bench in 2014 but they won't be starters. The obvious exception is Toua however his injuries must be cause for concern. Who do you suppose will start at 15 Rd 1 next year?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I know it's been asked so many times before... but.....

Jono Lance? Why the move?

He's got to be regretting that decision.....

Maybe he finds the heat and humidity in Brisbane too oppressive and wants to get back closer to his hometown?

I think he will do alright at the Tahs. I think Cheika really runs a meritocracy and Lance will get plenty of opportunities if he works really hard.

That said, with the departures of Morahan and Ioane, Lance would surely get more opportunity at the Reds next year than he had this year (which was quite a lot).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Lance wants to be a run-on 12 anmd thinks his chances are greater at the Tahs.

Luke also wants to lock down a run-on spot

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Morahan will at least get a start at the Force....

Lance.... yikes.....

I can see that it's going to be really tough for Lance to get a gig whilst all the first choice blokes are fit.

I bet Morahan is pissed he made the move though. Particularly with Lance and Digby gone.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Or Lance got paid more to go to the Tahs.

I'm just speculating, given I have no idea what he is getting paid or what benefits he is getting to go there.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Or Lance got paid more to go to the Tahs.

I'm just speculating, given I have no idea what he is getting paid or what benefits he is getting to go there.
I think the money is probably the issue, it is easier to play for less for a team you love if you are already a millionaire or have massive endorsments, but for a young guy it is no surprise if the money is the reason

Reactions: gel

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I could be wrong, but if memory serves me correctly when Jono signed with the Tahs Foley was on his way to the Rebels and KB (Kurtley Beale) was still a Rebel who we all thought was negotiating a contract with the Rebels. Money was probably a factor, but there was also an opening for a chance at a starting gig there.

And let's face it, the Tahs were clearly not chasing KB (Kurtley Beale) hard at the time - it's now August and there's still no contract signed by KB (Kurtley Beale) with the Tahs is proof of that. This is particularly extraordinary given this has been discussed and readily accepted by Tahs players, the media and this site. No contract = no deal yet.

I wonder if he knew then what he knows now he would still have gone?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Morahan might still have gone but I doubt Lance would. Both Reds and Tahs have good centre options, if he wanted a 12 spot the only place really looking for one would be the Rebels. Rest of the sides are doing well with Horne, Godwin, Taps/Fainga'a & Lilo. Certainly less depth at 13 than 12 around the country.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I was just about to comment on that Bowside but you beat me to it.

Was anyone else aware the Reds were actively chasing him? Not quite sure why he'd move if hes unhappy on the wing at the Bronco's as i'm sure at this stage thats where he'd be stuck playing for the Reds.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I was just about to comment on that Bowside but you beat me to it.

Was anyone else aware the Reds were actively chasing him? Not quite sure why he'd move if hes unhappy on the wing at the Bronco's as i'm sure at this stage thats where he'd be stuck playing for the Reds.

I would have thought with Shipperly, Davies and CFS all established wingers, fullback might be a more likely option.

Status
Not open for further replies.