• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schalk Burger

Frank Row (1)
Just think we are really lucky to have such good no 7's in the Brisbane comp apart from Gunni Uni have a really fantastic young 7 in Conor Mitchell, he was also only 18 years old last year & played in the prem final with Uni also plays way beyond his years, & again played the whole of this year with some outstanding games hardest working 7 i have seen, great future ahead for him, franchises need to pick him.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I defiantly wouldn't categorise Setu and Mitchell at the same level as Gunn. Both very good players, but Gunny was awesome every game he played and was miles ahead of any other 7 in the comp.

Well i am a fan of Mitchell and he was very good last year but I think suffered from injury this year.
In regards to Setu, I wouldn't have put him in the same sentence but I was recently told that he has been contacted by a professional team. I am not sure who exactly or what came from it but apparently some form of talks have been held.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Mitchell fan as well. His size is probably the only thing that holds him back.

But as I said, Gunny was in a league of his own this season.

Interesting on Setu. Was it a league team? Because he was in one Toyota Cup program before coming back to Union, and his brother Lagi is a leaguie.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I am not sure if it was league or Union, but representatives apparently came to a few wests games.

Also just noticed Mitch Chapman is a free agent.....could he fill the lock/flanker utility role that Samo had? Or should we get a bit more creative?

Schalk Burger

Frank Row (1)
Yeah not to sure about the injury to Mitchell maybe just 2nd year prem division, certainly he came on very strongly in the second part of the season, & for the finals run, Imo i think Gunni is used as a ball running 7 by Easts. Where as Mitchell is a natural 7 always on the ball with an unbeleivable work rate huge engine, agree he does have to bulk up a bit ,will be unstoppable with a bit more beef on him.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I wouldn't mind seeing him go down the the Brumbies for a year or two as it will do wonders for his development but at some point I'd love to see him pull on the Red jersey at Suncorp. That being said, he is still only 18 years old and has been living in Brisbane since he was a kid playing for the same club side (easts) since he was a junior. Packing everything up to move down to miserable, cold Canberra would be a big call at this stage in his career when he is still at least 2 years of Super level and the quality of the QLD domestic competition far exceeds that down south.

Who knows what offers might be around next year after another season of premier grade, the kid's potential is endless.

I might remind you that a few years ago the Vikings played in the Brisbane comp and repeatedly put on close to or over 100 points against your quality teams. Give it to Macca was the catchcry of the local fans, and he could have just about beaten the opposition on his own.

That aside, I am looking forward to seeing Michael Gunn play, whether for the Brumbies or the Reds after reading the positive posts about him here.

T

tranquility

That was quite a few years ago now, and my mind has addled itself since then - but wasn't the side named an amalgamation of the Canberra comp?
I remember seeing Giteau play for the first time against Easts at Balleymore before he got selected for the Euro Tour. Good memory.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I didn't mean that I hope he goes to canberra. Gunn (and Mitchell), excellent players. Very young. This is what academies are for. However, I'm just saying if offered an EPS in canberra vs an academy spot in QLD, a very difficult choice would need to be made (with this not necessarily the case if offered an EPS in Perth or Melbourne for example)

T

TOCC

So is this the complete lineup for 2014 then?

Hooker
Saia Fainga'a
James Hanson

Prop
Albert Anae
Ben Daley
Greg Holmes
James Slipper
Jono Owen

Lock
James Horwill
Rob Simmons
Ed O’Donoghue
Blake Enever
Dave McDuling

BackRow
Ed Quirk
Liam Gill
Beau Robinson
Jake Schatz
Curtis Browning

Halfback
Will Genia
Nick Frisby

Fly-Half
Quade Cooper
Ben Lucas

Centre
Anthony Fainga'a
Mike Harris
Ben Tapuai
Chris Feauai-Sautia
Samu Kerevi

Wing
Rod Davies
Dom Shipperley
Lachlan Turner
Chris Kuridrani

Fullback
Jamie-Jerry Taulagi
Aidan Toua

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Early 23.

Anae
Hanson
Slipper
Simmons
Horwill
Quirk
Gill
Shatz
Genia
Cooper
Davies Turner
Fainga'a
CFS
Davies
Lucas

Fainga'a, Daley, Holmes, oDonoghue, Browning, Frisby, Tapuai, Shipperley

Reactions: gel

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Early 23.

Anae
Hanson
Slipper
Simmons
Horwill
Quirk
Gill
Shatz
Genia
Cooper
Davies
Fainga'a
CFS
Davies
Lucas

Fainga'a, Daley, Holmes, oDonoghue, Browning, Frisby, Tapuai, Shipperley
I would like to see Shipperley on in lieu of one of the Davies guys, but otherwise I think that is probably the pick of the squad. :p

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Like the look of that team! But id have turner on the bench and turner, I mean shipperley, in for one of the Davies. Then just see whos on form.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
One of the Davies was supposed to be Turner. Shipperley was very disappointing at the back of the year and i think Turners experience will be valuable.

Shipperley has been very frustrating for me over the past year. Plays like crap in some of his Super Rugby appearances and then looks like a man reborn against the Lions. Get it together Dom!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
One of the Davies was supposed to be Turner. Shipperley was very disappointing at the back of the year and i think Turners experience will be valuable.

If Turner stays healthy he will be the first player picked for the back three. People forget how well he played in his test match appearances, for a couple of years he was a permanent fixture at the Tahs, until his run of injuries started. The guy is quick but more importantly he is an exceptional defender and never drops his bundle. If he stays healthy the Tahs will seriously regret letting him go, despite their wealth at the back.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Predicting Albert Anae to have his break out season next year. Lots of potential, hopefully he stays at loose head and doesn't get shifted to hooker (fingers crossed Chibba stays fit).

Curtis Browning & JJ Taulagi to be regulars in the starting 15 come the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.