• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Like in Australia, I think there is a big difference between getting a visa sponsored by an employer (much easier) versus getting a visa in your own right that enables you to work anywhere.

The visa you linked seems to relate to a sportsperson getting a visa on their own and being able to move to that country and look for work.

Found another link with the process

The following ..... outlines the visa requirements for any non UK born person wishing to play rugby in England.

For a player
A Governing Body Endorsement will only be issued for a player to play for a Sponsor which is endorsed by the Rugby Football Union if all of the following requirements are met:
    • Players from countries that are within the first or second tier of the national rugby unions of the International Rugby Board (IRB) will be eligible.

Tier 1 countries: Argentina; Australia; New Zealand; South Africa
      Tier 2 countries: Canada; Fiji; Japan; Romania; Samoa; Tonga; United States of America.

Please note that only tier 1 and 2 non–EEA countries are listed above.

• They must have started at least one full international match (15-a-side), during the 15 months immediately prior to the date of the application.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I guess that's one of the hard truths of Super Rugby squad sizes and the salary cap.

Just because a guy is a great clubman and steps up and plays well when there are injuries, you can't afford to pay him a whole lot if he doesn't make the side when everyone is healthy.

Lucas has probably struggled a bit from being a jack of all trades, master of none of terms of position.

Very well said. At the end of the day, if Lucas was asking for some decent $$$ from the Reds and it would have prevented them from making any JOC (James O'Connor)/Khunt deals or came at the expense of younger talent who could one day be our first choice (McIntyre, Frisby, Gale etc) then unfortunately he'd have to be told to look elsewhere.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
@ Strewthcobber - I guess the requirements to play in the UK are higher due to that international representation requirement.

It must be why so many more players go to France and Italy.

I wonder if the rules changed in the UK or if they're just willing to make allowances. Dean Mumm hadn't played for the Wallabies for over a year and half when he went to the UK.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
From what I've been told K Hunt will be the highest paid player by the Reds next year. While I'm a fan of signing him it doesn't send a good message to the other players. If it is true then it might be a case of the QRU heading back to the good old days of the 00's.
I would think there would be some very pissed off "senior" players at the Reds if that was the case.

New bloke, LARGELY UNTESTED. Fuck Genia and QC (Quade Cooper) would have a fit, Simmons Slipper Hanson and Gill would be putting their hands out for more.

If that was the case (that K Hunt got a huge payday), then if the Reds did not look after the abovementioned players then the disavantages of signing Hunt would far outweigh the advantages. Players will leave

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
hammertime - I've got a bit of bias because Frisby plays GPS whom I support but I believe if the Reds want to look long term you'd have to take Frisby. He's only 22, yes he has brain explosions but he can also break games wide open - example being the first NRC game. Frisby also has some limited utility value as he's been used on a wing for the Reds and has frequently slotted into fullback for GPS when returning for a game or two.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I get what you're saying but these four would all be earning more money in total due to ARU contracts. Same with Horwill.

Yeah sorry. I meant if the Reds were paying the reported $700,000 themselves. Reckon those blokes get about 200-250K from the Reds plus a top up. NONE of them would be on anywhere near $700,000 combined ARU and Reds. Reckon Genia and Quade may be on those sorts of $$$$$ ATM (but will both be reduced at next contract time - and they will head OS at that time) The Reds need to be very careful here

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd take the reported figure with a grain of salt. I'd also figure that it probably includes some 3rd party money as well.

I agree that it's a dangerous thing to do though. I guess there can't be too many 2014 Reds thinking that paying the existing players a lot more money is the path to success though.

T

Train Without a Station

Any Reds team that rolls out Lucas/Turner at 12/13 is in trouble. They might be able to cover a position but that doesn't make it a good idea. Our depth in the centres is not as great as you make it out to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any team at all rolling out 3rd choice players in any position is going to be in trouble mate.

Squad sizes are 32. That allows for 2 players in each position and a 3rd half and hooker. What team has greater centre depth that isn't at the expense of an other position, like wing in the Waratahs case?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Any team at all rolling out 3rd choice players in any position is going to be in trouble mate.

Squad sizes are 32. That allows for 2 players in each position and a 3rd half and hooker. What team has greater centre depth that isn't at the expense of an other position, like wing in the Waratahs case?

I don't disagree with this but the post you were replying to was a suggestion that a particular kid may be good to look at for the wider training squad or one of the NRC teams and your reply was fairly dismissive based on our apparent substantial depth at centre in the squad.

I don't think the depth is that good that we can be so dismissive of potentially promising young centres based on having 3rd stringers in the squad that can cover 12 and 13 is all.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Turners only a stop gap measure in the squad anyway. He hasn't been at his best in years and he doesn't have deep reds ties.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Who gives a fuck where his ties are?

Ties to the team are what keep 'solid' players in the squad. Countless examples at the reds - Lucas, Faingaas, Holmes etc.

Turner hasn't gone through all that much with the team, his stint at the reds is an audition for a French or Japanese contract. Of Course the Reds get out of it a consummate pro who adds depth and maturity to the squad.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't disagree with this but the post you were replying to was a suggestion that a particular kid may be good to look at for the wider training squad or one of the NRC teams and your reply was fairly dismissive based on our apparent substantial depth at centre in the squad.

I don't think the depth is that good that we can be so dismissive of potentially promising young centres based on having 3rd stringers in the squad that can cover 12 and 13 is all.

Yes but one could say the kids that made debuts in 2014 and are in the NRC are probably just as likely to succeed.

Fact of the matter is we can't keep every player, even beyond the 32. There are still financial limitations on the WTS.

So sure, throw up a proposed player. Just let us know who you propose that we cut loose to accommodate him.

T

Train Without a Station

Ties to the team are what keep 'solid' players in the squad. Countless examples at the reds - Lucas, Faingaas, Holmes etc.

Turner hasn't gone through all that much with the team, his stint at the reds is an audition for a French or Japanese contract. Of Course the Reds get out of it a consummate pro who adds depth and maturity to the squad.

Like the Fainga'as from Canberra with a brother in Melbourne? How strong were there ties to Queensland at the end of the 2009 season?

R

Redsfan

The new contracting protocols will make it much easier to keep a player like Cooper around. He'll be able to gethis ARU/QRU wage, and then head to Japan in the off-season on what would be an enormous contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.