• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
... Well the reds new recruit has been pretty disappointing this far tonight. A couple of good kicks and shows he has decent footwork but missed a critical tackle and missed a goal kick from almost in front. He has looked better in other games.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Not much if a game I have to say hard to tell how good he is. His knee is heavily strapped. Hope that does not mean he spends the the whole year in team rehab.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

B

Bobby Sands

Es
. Well the reds new recruit has been pretty disappointing this far tonight. A couple of good kicks and shows he has decent footwork but missed a critical tackle and missed a goal kick from almost in front. He has looked better in other games.

Excuse my ignorance? Who..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone seen the new membership offer? What do you think of the merchandise option? Discounted merch rather than just another cap?

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Anyone seen the new membership offer? What do you think of the merchandise option? Discounted merch rather than just another cap?
I am a fan of it. Would rather get decent gear rather than poor quality stuff. Plus the Polo isn't red so bit different to what's been available the past few seasons.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Im also a fan of the idea but wish they'd come up with some better merchandise options. Some training wear would have been nice - shorts, singlets etc. Some may disagree but I've never really seen the need for a supporters scarf in the queensland climate.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I know it has been spoken about a bit, but I REALLY wish the Reds got Ponga!!

I fully respect his decisions behind going to North Queensland. I hope he tears up in League and in a few years time.......Union! (Hopefully).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Im also a fan of the idea but wish they'd come up with some better merchandise options. Some training wear would have been nice - shorts, singlets etc. Some may disagree but I've never really seen the need for a supporters scarf in the queensland climate.

You can buy that stuff still but the point of the membership merchandise is that fans wear it to the games as a show of support. Which is why they wouldn't include the stuff you refer to.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I know it has been spoken about a bit, but I REALLY wish the Reds got Ponga!!

I fully respect his decisions behind going to North Queensland. I hope he tears up in League and in a few years time...Union! (Hopefully).

Just came from what could potentially be his last game of rugby (at least for some time). He was heavily marked but still obviously very good. However the star was his flyhalf. No idea of his name but I understand he is off to the Melbourne Storm next year. Now he was fantastic. Just one game mind you buy he'd be the one I would chase.

Anyone know who I am talking about?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
it seems that many outstanding QLand school rugby players go to league straight from school. is that perception factable and if so, why do the kids go that way? greater opportunities for a fast track to first grade? bigger first year pay? the lure of greater public adulation? simple preference for league as a game?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Mack is a really, really good player. More than anything his composure at his age stood out to me (would have been a little over a year ago that I met him at Churchie).

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Without trying to get too far off the Reds topic but whats the go with that Churchie team? Have most of the boys been there for their entire schooling? Or quite a few imports (ie only been there yr 11 and 12?). They sound like a super talented side with most of the guys picking up contracts.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Biffo I think they come from that way too? Schools do a lot of recruiting and they seem to sign many from league.

thanks, Mate. i don't spend much time in Australia and so find it difficult to identify movements of players at and after school. i guess that, if we studied the subject, we'd find that Australian kids play three or four different football codes and that movement between them is very common - especially when the options open up as a kid leaves a school which does not play his favourite code.

i wonder what there is in the Rugby career path - coaching, opportunities, rate of rise, money, sheer love of the game - that especially attracts the best athletes to it as a life-base?

we read a lot from the Eddie Jones of our game about the best athletes being attracted elsewhere. i wonder if such claims stand up in terms of the relative scale of the various codes? do we get, in Rugby, our fair share of the "best athletes"?

Status
Not open for further replies.