• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Hear Greg Holmes has a shoulder injury that MAY require surgery - Fuck if that is the case and the 6 month layoff happens then tjhe Reds are rooted for 2015. The front row stocks are low low and lower. Paraka, I think is a LHP but is as fat as a fool and would have a 1 cylinder motor ATM. Then we have Daley, a poor scrummager by every account and also only a LHP. Does that mean Australia's best LHP (Slipper) will have to play THP in a year of RWC (and then change back to LHP at the Wallabies).

Cordingly better start looking around for a THP, just in case

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
If the reds have JJ becoming an aussie this year, Tupou being a foreign development player and Tui not counting because he's a Japanese player that leaves us with a marquee foreign player right?

Lets go after an Argentine prop. Or alternatively if we are after another outside back who is a freak let's have a go at this kid

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Apparently Tupou isn't actually a member of the squad. He's contracted in one way or another but it isn't part of the Reds Super Rugby squad.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Shit, I'd like to see an Argie drafted in so there's someone to make sure the tight five are eating steak with every meal.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The best THP in the Qld NRC teams outside of Holmes has been Faagase I think, and out of Kite, Talaki and co, he's the smallest by far.

If Holmes is out, our scrum is screwed next year.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Holmes looks to undergo surgery - out for fucking 6 months - fuck fuck fuck.

Cordingly better get working on the phone this morning. The lack of prop depth has come to bite us on the arse

T

Train Without a Station

Why the fuck is everybody getting worked up in a lather over the prospect of Holmes being out until the end of March?

Do you guys even watch Super Rugby? Paddy fucking Ryan was the starting tighthead prop for the Waratahs for quite a few games at the start of this season.

A dominant, or even strong scrum is not a necessity to succeed in Super Rugby. We should know, we never fucking had one when we were successful.

And more fucking importantly. They don't hand out too many premierships in March. Players get injured. I'd rather it was at the start of the year than the business end of the season.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Why the fuck is everybody getting worked up in a lather over the prospect of Holmes being out until the end of March?

Do you guys even watch Super Rugby? Paddy fucking Ryan was the starting tighthead prop for the Waratahs for quite a few games at the start of this season.

A dominant, or even strong scrum is not a necessity to succeed in Super Rugby. We should know, we never fucking had one when we were successful.

And more fucking importantly. They don't hand out too many premierships in March. Players get injured. I'd rather it was at the start of the year than the business end of the season.

Thats all well and good BUT who the fuck do you replace him with, JJ ??? The cupboard is bare !!!!

T

Train Without a Station

One of the other props who actually offers a little more around the park, much like Paddy Ryan to Kepu.

When would you rather the replacement playing? First couple of rounds or the last 2 must win games?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Is a strong scrum a pre-requisite to winning in Super Rugby? No, but in tight games it sure as fuck counts. Nothing is more frustrating than good attacking positions turning to nothing because the opposition scrum gets us on skates.

Plus the reds attack wasn't exactly that flash. We scored a couple of good pushover tries this year which helped keep us in games

LET'S GRAB AN ARGIE. The Herrera guy looks strong.

T

Train Without a Station

Or, and this may sound crazy here, let's focus coaching and salary funds on players to build a successful super rugby team.

Are we going to win a Super Rugby title off set piece dominance and shit attack? Un-fucking-likely. So let's work on what we need to win, and work on ensuring what only needs to be adequate to win is at least adequate.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not saying I necessarily agree with this but I have a feeling we're more likely to hear the announcement of props being signed from the NRC rather than an international.

I get a feeling the QRU would feel slightly inclined to look within first and show the benefits of the new competition by signing a couple of players from it, rather than looking externally.

After all, the average age of the un-signed props playing for the two QLD teams is about 23-25yrs old, if they don't get picked up soon they'll most likely head elsewhere.

R

Redsfan

An Argie would be alright, and if he has experience at a decent level would probably be reasonable around the park, too. Scrubber seems to want a pot-plant though, and I'm sure we could pick up one for cheap from Romania or Georgia.

TWAS is on the money though. We need to use this as an opportunity to develop the players that we have. Sure, the City front row ended up with their heads shoved up their rears by Melbourne, but they'll be better for the experience. I'm confident that at least one of them will be able to take the step up.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
An Argie would be alright, and if he has experience at a decent level would probably be reasonable around the park, too. Scrubber seems to want a pot-plant though, and I'm sure we could pick up one for cheap from Romania or Georgia.

TWAS is on the money though. We need to use this as an opportunity to develop the players that we have. Sure, the City front row ended up with their heads shoved up their rears by Melbourne, but they'll be better for the experience. I'm confident that at least one of them will be able to take the step up.
Worth noting the bench did a lot better,I think with fagaase at tight head?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Fa'agase is absolutely the best out of the current unsigned crop definitely. Strong, technically proficient and quite dynamic around the park. I feel like he is most likely a LH at Super Rugby level though (could be wrong but that's my gut feeling). Of the boys who play tighthead better I have been more impressed by Talakai than Kite or Feao

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
not so sure. i like Kerevi a lot, but i am a very hard marker of young players. i have seen a helluva lot of one-hit and two-hit wonders.

otoh, we have seen what Tapuai can do as high as test level. he does seem to have a bit of a head problem - which i think could be sorted by placing him in a line of Genia, Kwadie and KHunt.

in either event, should one of Kerevi or Tapuai get the gig, he will be a lucky boy in that playmaking and attacking line, with The Brand and Busted Hamstrings to be sent on running missions.

Status
Not open for further replies.