• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby Sands

Perhaps. An uneducated, though possibly accurate guess is a lack of disciplining from Graham for players not doing the right thing.

I always have thought if a player does the wrong thing once, it's a players fault. If he does it repeatedly, it's the coaches fault for picking him again or not reprimanding him.

Been reading Sun Tzu I take it?

B

Bobby Sands

Great back-line. Sorry about the forwards.

I am more buoyed by the prospects of our forward pack than others.

I truly think Curtis will develop into our very own Vermeulen. He is still so ridiculously young for a large-bodied backrower that an off-season worth of development is just what he needs. I hope Gilly doesn't go on the EOYT as he could probably do with getting his body right too. Then you have the development of Chibba getting all this unexpected time with the Wallabies, which will be great for his game. Simmonds and Horwill will once again be the number locking combo, soon enough. Throw in Beau, McDuling, Tui etc just to keep everyone on their toes.

Cordingley is a very good list-manager.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I truly think Curtis will develop into our very own Vermeulen. He is still so ridiculously young for a large-bodied backrower that an off-season worth of development is just what he needs. I hope Gilly doesn't go on the EOYT as he could probably do with getting his body right too. Then you have the development of Chibba getting all this unexpected time with the Wallabies, which will be great for his game. Simmonds and Horwill will once again be the number locking combo, soon enough. Throw in Beau, McDuling, Tui etc just to keep everyone on their toes.

That's the thing though isn't it. Lots of players developing and not many who are their yet, and the experienced ones have seen a dip in form recently. Eg. Simmons, Horwill.

I do like the prospect of our very own Vermeulen, I hope your right on that one!

T

Train Without a Station

I think we' got a good balance.

Experienced Test Players

Horwill
Slipper
Simmons
Fainga'a
Holmes
Daley
Robinson

Young Test Players with further development ahead

Gill
Hanson

Experienced Super Rugby Players

Schatz
Quirk

Developing

Browning
McDuling

All these players excluding the last two have shown they have plenty of ability. And then the last two possibly have the greatest potential of all. Getting them firing will be key. A good S & C program will be a good start.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

He hassn't put his mind to front rowers. Let Anae and Owens go with no back up. Now Holmes is out for about 6 months !!! Reckon he's done a shit job actually (at least in that area) and I understand his 'communication" skills in attempting to retain players leaves a lot to be desired.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If your 4th and 5th choice props decide they want to earn more money overseas you'll never keep them.

Holmes' injury is unfortunate but it has nothing to do with other front rowers deciding to head overseas part way through the season.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If your 4th and 5th choice props decide they want to earn more money overseas you'll never keep them.

Holmes' injury is unfortunate but it has nothing to do with other front rowers deciding to head overseas part way through the season.

Thats true BUT the money those 2 were on was reportedly poor. Owen's payday went up about 300%. My point is, if an injury hits one or 2 of your top blokes there must be a plan for backups. What we have waiting in the wings is a long way short of the top 2. If something happens to Slipper now (now that Holmsie is gone), the Reds 2015 scrum and probably season is really fucked.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's the harsh reality of Super Rugby though. A couple of injuries in certain areas can be absolutely disastrous.

If your bench players and particularly those outside the matchday 23 are being paid too much, you end up losing players and missing out on other players you should have kept.

There's no way you can afford to pay a bench player 3x their salary to keep them.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Thats true BUT the money those 2 were on was reportedly poor. Owen's payday went up about 300%. My point is, if an injury hits one or 2 of your top blokes there must be a plan for backups. What we have waiting in the wings is a long way short of the top 2. If something happens to Slipper now (now that Holmsie is gone), the Reds 2015 scrum and probably season is really fucked.
If you are paying starters rates for who those you consider bench players,you can't afford to match what your star players can earn elsewhere.
Imagine the uproar if the Reds lost Quade because they were keeping a couple of bench players happy.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I suppose my point is that prop forwards and hookers are generally position specific. Holmes and Slipper can play both sides but most cannot - case in point is Ben Daley.

Most 4, 5, 6, 7's and 8's can interchange spots if required and probably still do a reasonable job. Genia plays 9 but could play any inside position. QC (Quade Cooper) could cover ANY spot in the backs and most other backs can cover multiple positions.

Can't see a Simmo, Horwill, Schatz, Browning, Gill, Robinson moving up to the front row, for even 1 scrum.

I just believe that both props spots should be adequately covered

We don't have that coverage.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The stories posted previously said that the Reds thought they had Owen sewn up, so they let Anae leave. Then Owen leaving sorta surprised them, so they are a bit unprepared.

It's a shame Owen was gone, as he looked to be a solid scrummager (not so much around the park, though).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The stories posted previously said that the Reds thought they had Owen sewn up, so they let Anae leave. Then Owen leaving sorta surprised them, so they are a bit unprepared.

It's a shame Owen was gone, as he looked to be a solid scrummager (not so much around the park, though).

Yeah thats probably right - but Cordingly has had since the week the Reds finished their season to seek out SOMEBODY. I believe Owen missed "Mad Monday" as he played in France that weekend. You would think thats plenty of time. I may be wrong.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah thats probably right - but Cordingly has had since the week the Reds finished their season to seek out SOMEBODY. I believe Owen missed "Mad Monday" as he played in France that weekend. You would think thats plenty of time. I may be wrong.

Who would you suggest they sign?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I understand that this might be going off on a tangent. But I can't help but posting a great try by Flats against the Poms in 2002.

It's up for debate, but I reckon Jason Robinson was one of the quickest men in Rugby history.

Flats was probably one of the most underrated players in his era, in my view, his kicking in the 2003 WCF was testament to his ability to conquer pressure.

B

Bobby Sands

He hassn't put his mind to front rowers. Let Anae and Owens go with no back up. Now Holmes is out for about 6 months !!! Reckon he's done a shit job actually (at least in that area) and I understand his 'communication" skills in attempting to retain players leaves a lot to be desired.

Maybe so.. But Anae stopped developing, at a rate of knots. Owen just wasn't up to it.

I would much rather bring in two young blokes for nothing, and back them to to become good players rather than rely on two blokes who have proven not to be up to it.

Anae could still become a really good player, but he needs a change of scenery. He has been with the Reds since he was about 15.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Albert joined the Reds a year after he finished school at Ippy Grammar. he wasn't in the Reds Academy at that stage but used to come to Academy training. I think the following year he was invited into the Academy. Heard he lived at Logan, didn't have a car so used to catch a train, a bus and walk from the station to Ballymore. The bloke really wanted to become a pro footy player with the Reds.

Believe a few years later his dad passed away and Abert then became the "breadwinner" of the family.

This year he had a baby with his partner. He probably needed a few more bucks and took the opportunity of getting them, together with a lifestyle (with his young family) in Italia.

I hope he returns to Queensland, a better football player.

I love his story !

B

Bobby Sands

Albert was an Ippy Grammar "prodigy" and was in every pathway squad their ever was. NTS, Junior Reds Academy's, QLD schools. What you"re talking about is when he signed a professional contract. However he was commuting to Balleymore every week from about the time he was 15, as the other young chosen ones were.

B

Bobby Sands

I suppose my point is that prop forwards and hookers are generally position specific. Holmes and Slipper can play both sides but most cannot - case in point is Ben Daley.

Most 4, 5, 6, 7's and 8's can interchange spots if required and probably still do a reasonable job. Genia plays 9 but could play any inside position. QC (Quade Cooper) could cover ANY spot in the backs and most other backs can cover multiple positions.

Can't see a Simmo, Horwill, Schatz, Browning, Gill, Robinson moving up to the front row, for even 1 scrum.

I just believe that both props spots should be adequately covered

We don't have that coverage.

This post is a disaster.

something

Jim Clark (26)
thoughts on the hunt at 12?

With To'omua underperforming at national level this year i reckon that could be his best chance at cracking the wobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.