• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
That's the harsh reality of Super Rugby though. A couple of injuries in certain areas can be absolutely disastrous.

If your bench players and particularly those outside the matchday 23 are being paid too much, you end up losing players and missing out on other players you should have kept.

There's no way you can afford to pay a bench player 3x their salary to keep them.
Well not spending 700 k for a fullback who hasn't really played the game would be a good start.

T

Train Without a Station

Not many players have played Australian Schoolboys rugby, Top 14 rugby and been elite NRL players.

There's been a few NRL duds. None of them were as good a player in the NRL. None of them were the first two either.

He's shown ability to be an elite level rugby player already, with experience in an elite NRL environment. He's also shown the mental toughness to switch to AFL - a code his experience was limited at - and be successful.

If anything other than injuries prevents him from being a star I'll eat my fucking hat.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well not spending 700 k for a fullback who hasn't really played the game would be a good start.

That figure is only what is being speculated and in the end, didn't some of the funds for Hunt end up coming from the ARU?

Regardless, the Reds have recruited Hunt with the idea that he is a star in their first choice XV and has additional benefits in terms of attracting interest to the team.

Maybe the alternative was paying Owen more and retaining him and not signing Hunt at all. That needs to be weighed up against how the replacement THP will compare to Owen and who they could have signed instead of Hunt if they'd had less money available.

T

Train Without a Station

Paddy Ryan was the reserve tighthead for the Waratahs this year. He has been getting folded playing for the Stars.

Guy Shepherdson was our reserve tighthead when we won in 2011.

I do not advocate paying a reserve tighthead too much as scrummaging ability of the reserve prop hasn't held back these two teams.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
That figure is only what is being speculated and in the end, didn't some of the funds for Hunt end up coming from the ARU?

Regardless, the Reds have recruited Hunt with the idea that he is a star in their first choice XV and has additional benefits in terms of attracting interest to the team.

Maybe the alternative was paying Owen more and retaining him and not signing Hunt at all. That needs to be weighed up against how the replacement THP will compare to Owen and who they could have signed instead of Hunt if they'd had less money available.
I haven't followed close enough to know it was more of a hmm, just off the cuff remark. But look at the Tahs and Brumbies reserves props compared. I think the Reds are short.

Really the Reds should chase Patty Ryan as his behind Kepu but young and would start at the Reds.

T

Train Without a Station

Why would he start at the Reds? He is a significantly inferior scrummaging THP to Holmes. He's in fact inferior to every starting THP in the country. It's probably a fair indication of his level that he is the reserve THP in the country's strongest team.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Why would he start at the Reds? He is a significantly inferior scrummaging THP to Holmes. He's in fact inferior to every starting THP in the country. It's probably a fair indication of his level that he is the reserve THP in the country's strongest team.

Thats why Holmes was called up by the wallabies before Patty, and Chekia started Patty in front of Kepu some of the season.

He didn't have a good year but to say his the worst in the country is a bit harsh, I think if he went to the Reds with a proper scrummaging coach he could be one of the best, and his around the field effort is high.

T

Train Without a Station

Thats why Holmes was called up by the wallabies before Patty, and Chekia started Patty in front of Kepu some of the season.

He didn't have a good year but to say his the worst in the country is a bit harsh, I think if he went to the Reds with a proper scrummaging coach he could be one of the best, and his around the field effort is high.

I didn't say he's the worst. I said his scrummaging is inferior to all the starting THP's in Australia.

Ryan being called up over Holmes doesn't mean he is better. Link's absolute reluctance to use him at all shows that. It does mean he is younger with more potential. I would surely hope a 23 year old Super Rugby prop has more potential than one over 30.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Biffo my sweet. You are being sexist (by assuming), I may be a female cocky who raises the odd scrubber. My scrubs only eat grass, whereas bears on the other hand will eat near anything and therefore their shit really stinks

Even I, as a member of the human species, generally defacate daily. The size of mine is commensurate with my petite body size. but mine has the aroma of Chanel No. 5.

Love your work sweetie !

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Biffo my sweet. You are being sexist (by assuming), I may be a female cocky who raises the odd scrubber. My scrubs only eat grass, whereas bears on the other hand will eat near anything and therefore their shit really stinks

Even I, as a member of the human species, generally defacate daily. The size of mine is commensurate with my petite body size. but mine has the aroma of Chanel No. 5.

Love your work sweetie !

i am speechless. keyboardless. to render me so is no mean feat.

thanks for the advice on bear shit. i shall change the avatar. someone selected it for me and i never bothered to change it. now, let me think.

course i'm sexist. i am every "-ist" except ageist.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm not going to just take isolated Top 14 form as justification that he will be a success. But his ability to seamlessly transition, in-season mind you, has me confident that with an entire off-season he will be more than capable at Super Rugby.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
absolutely.
this is not a brain dead leaguie or GAYFL kicker.
this is a physically ideal, highly professional, intelligent and proven adaptable footballer.
ffs, this is Karmichael Hunt.

my point about KHunt's time at Biarritz is to rebut the anti-recruitment mantra "he hasn't played" rugby and thus will never be able to.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
in such an event i will eat all the hats of every poster to this thread.

anyone who doubts KHunt's credentials should spend a few hours watching his play for Biarritz.

hey Biffo

I've got a hat full of arseholes - does the offer still stand - haha

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
absolutely.
this is not a brain dead leaguie or GAYFL kicker.
this is a physically ideal, highly professional, intelligent and proven adaptable footballer.
ffs, this is Karmichael Hunt.

my point about KHunt's time at Biarritz is to rebut the anti-recruitment mantra "he hasn't played" rugby and thus will never be able to.
Never said he couldn't just that he hadn't for a while. I reckon he will be great, if the pigs can get him the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.