• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
not bad.

one thing i like about your centre pairing is that, at last, some people in Australia are waking up to the great change in how attack is mounted in modern winning rugby and the role of the centres. serious bosh is essential in the middle of the field, from both the centres and the back row. we are 4-5 years behind the times in appreciating that.

T

Train Without a Station

I just threw the two names that have shown the most promise in the positions they play!

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I just threw the two names that have shown the most promise in the positions they play!

Mate, i was hoping you would lay out a great exposition of how you want the Reds to play.
i really was.

there is, imo, far too much casual picking of blokes with numbers and far too little analysis of how the game should and can be played.

T

Train Without a Station

Haha.

In fairness to the Reds, serious bosh was not required for success and wasn't achieved anyway due to lack of options since Chambers departure. Kerevi fills that role extremely well now. But astute recruitment opportunities just don't present themselves every year.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Haha.

In fairness to the Reds, serious bosh was not required for success and wasn't achieved anyway due to lack of options since Chambers departure. Kerevi fills that role extremely well now. But astute recruitment opportunities just don't present themselves every year.

yes. i had forgotten Chambers. i thought his departure was a really great loss.
i think Kerevi has terrific potential but he must, first, adjust fully to the much higher (than club) standard of the Soup and second, survive being "worked out" by the opposition.

T

Train Without a Station

He was exceptional in his opportunities this year and has been exceptional in the NRC. I'd certainly be giving him the opportunity first based on what he has done so far.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
i think Kerevi has terrific potential but he must, first, adjust fully to the much higher (than club) standard of the Soup and second, survive being "worked out" by the opposition.

With the NRC giving Kerevi so much exposure I'd dare say there will be a few game plans made around negating his offensive skills. The Reds coaching staff will need to be aware of this and I hope make the necessary adjustments for round 1 next year. He needs to be used as more than a 'cut out to Kerevi, hopefully break line' type player, as he is very effective at doing that so far in the NRC yet international quality opposition will catch on quickly.

T

Train Without a Station

He will have better players around him next year remember.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Hard to focus on kerevi when JOC (James O'Connor) and hunt will also be popping up to do damage, particularly when quade and Genia move the ball better than most.

T

Train Without a Station

Defense can work him out all they want, but any extra focus on him will be off another attacking threat.

B

Bobby Sands

Or, and this may sound crazy here, let's focus coaching and salary funds on players to build a successful super rugby team.

Are we going to win a Super Rugby title off set piece dominance and shit attack? Un-fucking-likely. So let's work on what we need to win, and work on ensuring what only needs to be adequate to win is at least adequate.

Why do you keep swearing? Are you simple?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
TWAS's backline gives me goosebumps. Just chock full of threats. Unfortunately that doesn't mean shit if Graham manages to implement bullshit game plans and the forwards don't seriously improve their work around the park and in defence

T

Train Without a Station

Runners in motion. Our forwards severely lacked that in 2014. They constantly took the ball flat footed. I do not know why coaches do not rip into their teams who do this. It's impossible to get front foot ball when you start stationary.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Runners in motion. Our forwards severely lacked that in 2014. They constantly took the ball flat footed. I do not know why coaches do not rip into their teams who do this. It's impossible to get front foot ball when you start stationary.
Particularly annoying given we were doing this quite well in the trials, it just seemed to fall away in season. I wonder if it was part of the s&c/fitness problems we were having.

T

Train Without a Station

Perhaps. An uneducated, though possibly accurate guess is a lack of disciplining from Graham for players not doing the right thing.

I always have thought if a player does the wrong thing once, it's a players fault. If he does it repeatedly, it's the coaches fault for picking him again or not reprimanding him.

Status
Not open for further replies.