• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

I know it's an old highlights reel, but goddamn could we use a player exactly like this at the moment.

Anyone have footage of him at Bath?

Video was a major trip down memory lane as well. Most of those clips are from the first season I watched the Reds and was converted!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well if we are talking to Karmichael this might just help out;

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/nrl...p-irregularities/story-fndv2w3r-1226933629538

Seems the Bronco's have some salary cap issues.

Which the Broncos themselves brought to the NRL's attention & for which they appear to have fired the guy responsible for recruitment. That plus the fact News literally have shares in the place virtually guarantees they'll get a token penalty at best.

Remember also that NRL boss Smith now has a war chest he can dip into at his discretion to prevent a recurrence of the shambles that resulted in Folau ending up at the 'tahs. No way they'll let Hunt get away as well, in the NRL/AFL war he's a major scalp.

T

TOCC

I disagree, 4 years barely making the cut in a cellar dweller AFL team has eroded a significant portion of the appeal he held to the NRL...

That war chest dispensation you speak of will be used rather specifically I imagine, Karmichael was a test fullback when he left the NRL but they now have the likes of GI, Slater and Hayne who could all challenged for the worlds best fullback.

That said he would still have a lot of clubs clamouring over him, but when it comes to the new Top Ups offered by the NRL I see it more likely reserved for the top 25 players in the game.. At least in the initial stages, otherwise you are going to have every joe blow who has pulled on a rep jersey threatening to leave unless they get a top-up.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I disagree, 4 years barely making the cut in a cellar dweller AFL team has eroded a significant portion of the appeal he held to the NRL.

That war chest dispensation you speak of will be used rather specifically I imagine, Karmichael was a test fullback when he left the NRL but they now have the likes of GI, Slater and Hayne who could all challenged for the worlds best fullback.

That said he would still have a lot of clubs clamouring over him, but when it comes to the new Top Ups offered by the NRL I see it more likely reserved for the top 25 players in the game.. At least in the initial stages, otherwise you are going to have every joe blow who has pulled on a rep jersey threatening to leave unless they get a top-up.

Broncos & Storm want him. News are part-owners of both & what News wants, News gets. He'll end up with one or t'other & NRL will throw in any extra cash necessary to make it happen.

T

TOCC

The Storm are owned by a kiwi these days....

Broncos aren't a forgone conclusion either, they already have 3 fullbacks or 5/8 's on the books for 2015 in Milford, Barba and Hoffman..

I guess we will wait and see, I think one of the Sydney clubs will be the best bet.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Gee, interesting idea, but this is, so far, threadbare speculation with very little substantiation from anywhere.

But whatever, he was another wonderful player for Churchie school (along with QC (Quade Cooper), Pocock, Schatz, etc), playing at 15 in the school's 1st XV 2003 undefeated season. Also played AFL for Churchie that year.

This year the Churchie 1st XV will see another talent of K Hunt's calibre, Kalyn Ponga who'll likely also play at 15.
Some reason I thought of read Kalyn Ponga has signed for a league team... I dunno but you mention his name jogged a memory

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Does anyone have any insight as to why the Reds are not releasing any news on re-signings?

It's a bit disconcerting to hear news of all the re-signing's at other clubs and all you get are crickets from Ballymore!

T

Train Without a Station

Looking at NRC, holding back on making a number of signings and trying to evaluate the best pick ups out there rather than making rash decisions or something like that I read.

It's not complacency or lack of thought to it, there is a strategy. Can't say it's definitely right.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Just wonder if they're missing out on poaching any proven performers or maybe only interested in promoting from within QLD?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I know when I was there, there were always tactics involved as to when the releases were done as players were often signed well before it was actually announced.

But I thought right about now would be a damn good time to announce some re-signings and new signings.

unless....

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surely players would wait until a new coach is announced before re-signing or signing to the Reds? Not saying they all can't stand Graham but they must all know he's gone and would prefer to wait for news on a new coach.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I seem to recall Jim Carmichael saying something along the lines of wanting to announce the team as a unit rather than individual signings - perhaps in an article in The Australian? I can't find the source now though, sorry.

I really hope that we don't leave empty spots again, it really isn't a good look and certainly weakens any argument of "we dun got buggered by the injuries!!!" with an empty slot (and several players in the squad known to spend more time on the bench than on the field).

Unless, the spot couldn't be filled because no one wanted to play for the reds (which is also a terrible look).

RG isn't a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.