• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not sure if earlier mentioned but read today that Ben Te'o from the Rabbitohs and QLD Origin team will be leaving the club at the end of this season due to constant abuse about the woman bashing allegations he was cleared of last year. From the article it sounds like he might leave the NRL to escape the reputation its given him with mention of Rugby Union being an option, nothing specific about where he would go.

He's a Brisbane boy i'm pretty sure, possible recruit for Reds 2015? Could play as that hard running backrower everyone keeps asking for.

Link to article: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...-punched-a-woman/story-e6frf3uu-1226943575908

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's one of the several New Zealand born players who moved to Australia as a teenager and attended Keebra Park High School before playing for the Wests Tigers.

It's the Benji Marshall plan.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's 6'2 and 27 years old.

I don't know what position he played when he was younger but I'd guess he'd be a centre or a flanker if he returned to union.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
If the Reds were to pursue him (which I think is unlikely) I reckon they should give him a crack at blindside, he has the build for it and we've got some decent talent already coming through in the backs.

The thing is though, being an Origin player means he'd probably have a high price tag and Super League clubs will be all over him. Might be out of financial reach.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It may only apply to those with family memberships? From the people I know, only family membership holders received one.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
If the Reds were to pursue him (which I think is unlikely) I reckon they should give him a crack at blindside, he has the build for it and we've got some decent talent already coming through in the backs.

The thing is though, being an Origin player means he'd probably have a high price tag and Super League clubs will be all over him. Might be out of financial reach.
If he chose to play Union for a season it gives him an exemption from the salary cap in English Superleague. A smart player would play union for a season then go to Superleague for $1m+ a season.

I don't know if he would be worth that much but there was talk of Marshal being able to go there for over a Million a year due to this rule as he would not be classed as a league player anymore.

I would have a crack at getting him for no other reason than there is a world class athlete who is available, whether his price is suitable is unknown but we should always look for ANY available talent.

T

Train Without a Station

I just did a quick look and can't see him having any experience even at schoolboy level in rugby. Whilst I wouldn't want him to be immediately disregarded, due to the reasons set out by those above, I wonder if the risk associated is too large to table any substantial offer.

Jarrod Saffy for example struggled to cement a starting place prior to his neck injury, and being a former league front rower he was probably even more suited to that bruising back rower role than Te'o.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Agree with the above points. Te'o is a great player, albeit unproven in Union but hopefully still gets some type of consideration as he can provide the impact the Reds are lacking, whether this come at too much of a price is a big question though.

Will be interesting to see whether any noise comes from the Reds camp about acquiring him or if he flies under the radar and ends up signing with some international team without a word being said.

something

Jim Clark (26)
does anyone have any news on Joe Tomane? doesn't look like he will be in brumbies next year and would be a very good signing for the reds.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
TWaS, Saffy came from Safferland with an impeccable rugby background, attended Joeys in Sydney and played Australian Schoolboys. His time in league was a bit of an aberration. He was a backrower in his earlier rugby career.

T

Train Without a Station

Sorry forgot to mention his aus schoolboys credentials. Was trying to show that if anybody was a good fit, Saffy was and even he wasn't a seamless transition.

T

TOCC

He's 6'2 and 27 years old.

I don't know what position he played when he was younger but I'd guess he'd be a centre or a flanker if he returned to union.

He has grown since I saw him last ;)

Anyway, Teo is upset about fan insults, they won't stop if he stays in Australia.. He will be heading overseas..

T

TOCC

If he can get a contract with an English rugby club then good on him, but i really can't see an English Rugby club offering the $450'000 that he would be asking for

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A league convert.... Playing a tactical 6/8 position.... Not a chance.
With no experience- wing/outside backs from league where strong ball running, offloading is your trump card fair enough, but a forward - learning scrummaging,lineouts, rucks and mauls, when to seagull etc..... Complete waste of money if the reds were to throw anything at him.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If he can get a contract with an English rugby club then good on him, but i really can't see an English Rugby club offering the $450'000 that he would be asking for

He's not exactly coming from a position of power.

In all likelihood I think he'll end up in D2 in France on a medium amount of money.

T

Train Without a Station

A league convert.. Playing a tactical 6/8 position.. Not a chance.
With no experience- wing/outside backs from league where strong ball running, offloading is your trump card fair enough, but a forward - learning scrummaging,lineouts, rucks and mauls, when to seagull etc... Complete waste of money if the reds were to throw anything at him.

I'm skeptical, but that is far too negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.