• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Certainly they've got to play at least one of the trials somewhere in Queensland, though? Not like they can do a whole lot about the rain either.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
It still seems like poor planning, sending the players to a location that at this time of year is known for its high heat and frequent rain. I love Cairns but would not be keen to play rugby up there anytime in the early months of the year.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think its a great idea having trials in the country - we are trying to expand the game, the supporter base.

Every town in Queensland can have shitty hot and humid weather from time to time.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
My point isn't trying to withhold the game from country supporters. My point is that from a player management perspective, putting their body under the stresses associated with that climate seems to be a silly move, especially in a first trial. Rugby is predominately a winter sport for a reason.

And Scrubber, there is a difference between having a shit hot and humid day compared to playing rugby in arguably the hottest city in Queensland during summer, day in day out.

T

TOCC

A trial is the ideal time to host such a match, unlimited interchange and it's likely going to be played in 3rds like trial games have in the past..

Trials are the only opportunity to take the Reds to FNQ, you can't neglects the region because it's hot and humid..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a pretty simple equation though. Either you play a trial game in Cairns or Townsville in Jan/Feb and deal with the heat and humidity or you don't play a game there at all.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Duncan is at the Reds. He is a 10. Am happy to gicve the kid a shot at the bigtime.

However IF he fails to impress immediately we need to sign a quality 10 from OS on a short term conytract until Quade returns ( 6- 8 weeks into the actual competition)

This is not the time to fuck around giving young players (a 10) time to become adjusted to top level Super 15.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Would have to be from Japan...who would possibly be worth it? We'll be fine, Duncan will have plenty of support and will be ably backed up by JOC (James O'Connor) and Hunt.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Berrick Barnes would be about the best player you could sign. I'd stick with the young guy, Hunt or JOC (James O'Connor). It would be pretty questionable whether a new player could come in with no training with the team and improve the situation immediately.

It's not like Cooper is out for that long.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Jeez 6-10 weeks is a LONG time for a first choice anybody let alone your playmaker.

Duncan first then SOS to Barnes (if Duncan not up to speed)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jeez 6-10 weeks is a LONG time for a first choice anybody let alone your playmaker.

Duncan first then SOS to Barnes (if Duncan not up to speed)

When do you try and sign someone like Barnes though? Do you wait until after a couple of rounds of Super Rugby?

Maybe his first two games will be decidedly average because he hasn't trained with the team before and doesn't know any of the structures.

It's a short term proposition with a very uncertain outcome as to whether it will achieve better results than utilising Hunt or JOC (James O'Connor) who are already in the team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Never! Should never be seen in Red again.

Whilst it had nothing to do with the Reds not wanting Barnes again, it kind of arrives at the same point.

I think the notion of signing a short term replacement for Cooper is completely ridiculous and likely to result in worse results than just playing an existing member of the squad.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I think it's highly unlikely Barnes will come back since he's been picked by Robbie Deans for the Barbarians games in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.