• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just a feeling I get, friends with an agent who has brought it up in the past. I also don't understand why they don't try get players on loan from another province like what they do in the northern hemisphere. Or at least look a bit broader than just qld club rugby I'm sure there are handy 10s in nsw or Canberra who are EPS players that would love an opportunity to get more super rugby time and would probably be more effective than what is put together at the reds at the moment.

There's 10s in Premier rugby in Brisbane than Frisby as well, like Sam Greene (this has been discussed earlier in the thread). For some reason the Reds didn't want to go outside of the squad to replace Cooper apart from a marquee player like a Barnes.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting stats:

The Reds have the lowest points for at 147, worse even than the attack challenged Force who have 181. That's an average of 13.4 points per game.

The Reds have the worst point against at 319, worse than the turnstile Cheetahs and Blues who are at 317 and 303 respectively. That's an average of 29 points per game.

Reds have a for/against differential of -172, the worst in the comp. Even the good folk at http://www.superxv.com/table/ can't comprehend just how bad the Reds are and forget to carry the 1 for the Reds points differential.

Currently the Reds have won 2, played 9. A win percentage of 18.18%. The Reds are sitting second last at 14th on the ladder, but honestly probably deserve to be last and are only saved by struggles of the Force this year.

How does this compare vs other lean years?

2005: came 10 of 12. Won 3, lost 8, win % of 27.27%. F/A of -97, -8.82/game.
2006: came 12 of 14. Won 4, lost 9, win % of 30.77%. F/A of -80, -6.15/game. (1)
2007: came 14 of 14. Won 2, lost 11, win % of 15.38%. F/A of -237, -18.23/game. (2)
2008: came 12 of 14. Won 3, tied 1, lost 9. Win % of 23.08%. F/A of -65, -5/game.
2009: came 13 of 14. Won 3, lost 10. Win % of 23.08%. F/A of -122, -9.38/game. (3)
<McKenzie years>
2013: came 13 of 15. Won 5, lost 11. Win % of 31.25%. F/A of -122, -7.6/game.
2014: coming 14 of 15. Won 2, lost 9. Win % of 18.18%. F/A of -172, -15.64/game. (4)

(1) Jeff Miller sacked.
(2) Eddie Jones sacked.
(3) Phil Mooney sacked.
(4) Amazingly, rumours of Graham not just not being sacked, but actually given ANOTHER contract.

If the Reds win just 1 of their remaining 5 games, it will be the second worse year since the Eddie Jones debacle of 2007. If the Reds win none of their remaining 5 games, it will be worse than the Eddie Jones debacle of 2007.

Stats for various coaches for Super Rugby games only:
Miller: won 12, lost 23. Win % of 34.29%.
Jones: won 2, lost 11. Win % of 15.38%.
Mooney: won 6, tied 1, lost 19. Win % of 23.08%.
Graham: won 7, lost 20, win % of 25.93%.

Going by the above, Miller was unlucky if Graham is being retained. And, Andrew Slack and Mark McBain were downright ripped of, Slack with a 5 wins and 6 losses after 1 year and McBain with 13 wins and 9 losses after 2 years.

Does anyone in the Reds board actually looks at these basic stats?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
@Ash, i know the statistics say 2009 was bad, as bad as the other years in the list, but at least they were staying to play some good rugby. The basis of a good team was being built. I enjoyed watching the 2009 reds. The other years were just a total loss with nothing to contend them. The biggest thing for me when i look at the Reds this year is there just is no improvement week on week, or even from last year, it is just the same crap, no clear effective plan, seemingly poor S&C, poor planning and recruitment and poor use of available resources.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is there no S&C coaches on the staff atm? From what I saw tonight the players that have had leg injuries in the past are just too slow for Super Rugby atm, the whole squad needs to get some speed coached into them. The Crusaders backs were running around the Reds, their defensive alignment wasn't poor they just couldn't get their hands on them.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You know, the Reds might want to consider the impact on membership if they don't announce that RG will be leaving at the end of the year.
Absolutely agree.
Putting aside whether he is the best option moving forward.
It is commercial suicide not to replace him.
They cannot possibly trade profitably next year without substantial changes to personel.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
Shut the gates, the horse has bolted!!

You only have to look over the pages on this forum to understand that membership next year will nose dive; the commercial calamity facing the board is huge, when you consider the following:

1. Marto's comments about the defence and the players "not listening to the coach". He doesn't say those words without knowing something.
2. Is Quade going to France?
3. Genia and Horwill going.
4. a second or third string halfback playing first five. IMO - Scott Gale is a better prospect at half than what Frisby is.
5. what is the game plan?
6. wooden spoon contenders
7. recruitment plan non-existent. How many backrowers do we need?
8. strength & conditioning coaches quitting halfway through season
9. crowd numbers steadily dropping at home games
10. membership numbers dropping
11. a board that seemingly has their head stuck in the sand
12. Every media report in Qld details the speculation about Graham and his tenure.

My prediction is that 2016 Reds will again fight for the wooden spoon and the organisation will again find themselves struggling from a financial perspective.

The board will need to be replaced with people willing to take decisive action to protect the legacy and the future of that same organisation.

The current board does nothing for grassroots in this state. How is it good for Qld Reds Rugby to have UQ trot out 1st Grade standard players in 3rd Grade when Norths and Logan cannot field a 3rd Grade team? No offence to Uni, BTW!! (Please, I am not really interested in entering into a discussion regarding possible strategies for "talent equalisation/distribution" off the back of my comment. I have simply stated my opinion.)

Can anyone at the Reds actually tell you how you are receiving value for whatever you pay for your season tickets to watch this crap?!?!

Crap?!?!

It is a Professional Sporting Organisation; they have not effectively managed their scouting, fostered their next generation across every position; are cloak and dagger about their recruitment, they exhibit poor management of their disabled list, they have not honestly/authentically engaged their membership base and will ultimately pay the price.

As will we.

END RANT

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What actually happened tonight?

First half was tough watching for a fan. The whites not up to it, but showing that just maybe...

Then the break. Tell me, I can't remember but Slippers huge run back in defence,mwhich half was it? And he wasn't really the same after. But following the saders try straight after the break, where was the leader calling in everyone going "listen here you #^£€'s" I presume Slip was injured. Khunt wasn't playing, who then, oh yeah Simmo.

Time to step up Simmo, unless you are despondent. Guess what, fans want you o step up anyway!

Unfair though. The only way I can think fa MOTM from the Reds, is to work out who was on the field the shortest time.

And what about the use of the bench? What was that about? Is ArG on a bonus for extended squad players he bloods. Certainly no apparent strategic logic.

Horwill, what do you call last night? I have a few thoughts but shouldn't voice it here. Thompson, what about you? Seniors player,me here was the leadership? Love you man, but to say not good enough... Is not good enough.

Why the third hooker, and why replace Genia? I must have missed injuries, but imagine being blooded in a shellacking with 10 to go. Come on guys, someone will have an answer, but me Genia should not just have been kept on he should have his nose rubbed in it.

Korzec, dude big chance tonight yo make yourself noticed. Invisible was your response.

I'm struggling to find a solitary player to rate as high as fair to middling.

Line out lost against the throw, what twice? Thrice?

Scrum, what the!

Slipper, maybe out re injury. After that's here was the leadership?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Anyone going to the game on Friday? The way the Rebs played last night is going to get me there. They are playing with the sort of passion that is really exciting to watch live.

As long as I don't watch or think about the Reds and just enjoy the Rebels I should be OK. I'll be the only one there on my family pass.

Reactions: gel

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I have grave fears that this will be the next board meeting:

62015880.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.