• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Pretty good. Missed chunks through injury, but playing fairly well, albeit in a fairly simple role. He's still wearing a bloody arm guard though, according to a handful of players, it's not nice to be fended off with.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Speaking of internationals still no news on the foreign player set to join the Reds in 2016.

Hendrick Tui & Ayumu Goromaru are both under Japnese and or transitional contracts for the season, which leaves the international spot still to fill.

The longer the Reds wait for an international Fly-half, the more I see Brad Thorn stepping into the squad as the international player in 2016.

You would have to think most international 10's are now sold or have their future plans sorted out by now. You can't have a fly-half start mid pre season block into the new year and expect much cohesion built around the team.

Wasn't that precisely the plan with JOC (James O'Connor) last year? Not especially for the 10 spot, but certainly it would seem to me as a play maker of some sort. Didn't turn out so well, so I'd agree that it is getting a bit late to be looking for an international 10 now to join up some time leading into next season.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Bank of New South Wales to Westpac was pretty good.

(Incidentally, the new name is derived from the words "Western Pacific", which is where the corporate focus was to be when they were reorganising).

The Bank of New South Wales was trading strongly before becoming Westpac, (which when I first heard the name, I had a "what the" moment)!
Lucky Goldstar was crap. How many here bought Lucky Goldstar electrical appliances, whereas, I would suggest that many of you have bought an appliance manufactured by LG?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Wasn't that precisely the plan with JOC (James O'Connor) last year? Not especially for the 10 spot, but certainly it would seem to me as a play maker of some sort. Didn't turn out so well, so I'd agree that it is getting a bit late to be looking for an international 10 now to join up some time leading into next season.

Yes and no, I too would see him as a playmaker especially in at 15. However, RG signed him as a winger with not much of a roaming role who can fill 10/15 if needed. A few other factors really didn't fall into place with the whole Karmicheal Hunt scandal as well as the chop and change start to the season to the whole backline.

There was no role in which JOC (James O'Connor) was given albeit at the expense of trying to find a position for K. Hunt. Also I guess the QRU thought the combination of Genia, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) will spark to life if brought back together in anyway sharpe or form however we know how that planned out, injury ruining most of that part.

Still to no avail.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty good. Missed chunks through injury, but playing fairly well, albeit in a fairly simple role. He's still wearing a bloody arm guard though, according to a handful of players, it's not nice to be fended off with.

Where would Ben Teo fit in the squad? I know nought about mungo, but he looks like a top flight athlete which is no bad thing. Already primed by rugby time in Ireland. Interesting prospect if he's serious and not just looking for a pathway back to Aus with NRL at the back of his mind.

But where would he fit? Surely centres which is not exactly a priority right now. Unless you were dropping Hunt back to 15.

Still, following the Wallaby 2016 thread there is at least a line of thinking with Beale staying at 12, Folau rolling into 13, and all of a sudden 15 has opened up.

Lots of speculation on my part.

Personally I'd like to see Intruder's international 10 as the final investment.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
where would he fit? He's an out and out centre surely?

Our current centres are:

Kerevi
Hunt
Fainga'a
Paia'aua

with Magnay and CFS options, and Lagi Setu in a training squad. A little more depth there would be handy I guess.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
where would he fit? He's an out and out centre surely?

Our current centres are:

Kerevi
Hunt
Fainga'a
Paia'aua

with Magnay and CFS options, and Lagi Setu in a training squad. A little more depth there would be handy I guess.

Competition for Kerevi in the bosh merchant slots - about the only thing I could come up with. Probably a good thing depending on his price.

Didn't Intruder say something about CFS moving into the centers full-time this year or am I imagining that?

flanker2016

Frank Row (1)
id be pretty disappointed if they signed teo. why keep signing league players when there are players in your back yard...

reds have about 5 or 6 centres to choose from

Kerevi
Hunt
Fainga'a
Paia'aua
Magney

setu (training squad)
taefu (extended squad)

that's enough to keep them happy. Kerevi and taefu combination was the best combo in the nrc competition and with a preseason behind them could be very strong in super rugby.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Teo will have played 2 Seasons in Leinster colours by the time you guys would be signing him.

Complaining about signing him because you don't think he's good enough, fine. Complaining about signing him because you don't need another center is fine.

Complaining about signing him because he's a Leaguie is pure ignorance. Don't do it.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

flanker2016

Frank Row (1)
pretty sure these forums are about opinion and that is my opinion.

not ignorance at all . im sick of these signing of HUGE LEAGUE names that get paid the big bucks and then we say gee they did great at NRC but failed in super rugby.

its my opinion and I am allowed it...

flanker2016

Frank Row (1)
i also think Anthony Fainga'a has something to prove and it would be a shame if they played teo over him.

anyway i wont give my opinion on this anymore

good luck to the reds in 2016.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's ignorance. He's been a rugby player for 18 months, and a pretty good one at that. He'd be a Rugby player for the best part of 2 years by the earliest time he'd be pulling on a Reds jersey, with an extra 8 months by the start of 2017 otherwise.

I don't know what constitutes a Rugby player to you, but calling him a League player is disingenuous, if not blatantly ignorant.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
pretty sure these forums are about opinion and that is my opinion.

not ignorance at all . im sick of these signing of HUGE LEAGUE names that get paid the big bucks and then we say gee they did great at NRC but failed in super rugby.

its my opinion and I am allowed it.
My sentiments exactly, he played League from 2007 - 2014 and then jumps to an Irish Union club for 2 seasons. I'm sure he can fill one of the 450 NRL Contract Slots available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
It's ignorance. He's been a rugby player for 18 months, and a pretty good one at that. He'd be a Rugby player for the best part of 2 years by the earliest time he'd be pulling on a Reds jersey, with an extra 8 months by the start of 2017 otherwise.

I don't know what constitutes a Rugby player to you, but calling him a League player is disingenuous, if not blatantly ignorant.

Yeah and at 30 nearing his expiry date. Invest in the young up and coming and build a team that can last for 5-6 years otherwise we sit with the same problem 1 year on and no young blood coming through. Putting in a team of older League/AFL players is very short sighted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
id be pretty disappointed if they signed teo. why keep signing league players when there are players in your back yard.

reds have about 5 or 6 centres to choose from

Kerevi
Hunt
Fainga'a
Paia'aua
Magney

setu (training squad)
taefu (extended squad)

that's enough to keep them happy. Kerevi and taefu combination was the best combo in the nrc competition and with a preseason behind them could be very strong in super rugby.
Because you believe they offer more?

I would rather recruit players who have come through the system and have played Rugby their whole life but more importantly I want to recruit players that will win games.

If this means we start recruiting cricket and ice hockey players because they make our team better then I say go for it.

It is no different that recruiting coaches, it would be nice to have a local but if a coach from elsewhere wins games then it is a good choice, Link is the best example.

Not all recruits work in players or coaches but in a pro sport you should recruit based on perceived talent not a birth certificate or school attendance

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I saw one of the new jerseys in the shops yesterday.

It's mildly interesting the asics r&d determined that ball security was optimised by putting the silicon strips over the rib cage (I guess assuming the ball being tucked under arm).

BLK r&d have determined ball security is a centred between belly and chest (I guess for catching high balls but it seems a little low down for that?)).

The under arm breathy/stretchy stuff feels and act exactly the same as last year's jersey.

The overall material is exactly the same as the past several years - i.e the most unbelievably slippery and plastic material in the history of all jerseys. Is that actually the same material the players use?

Overall the jersey looks pretty good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.