• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Says a bit about the Reds at the moment that the big back page Courier Mail spread and splash on the website

is all based on a 19 year old who hasn't played a game for the team yet.

Shit mate come to Sydney, the Tahs would love for a player re-signing to make the back page, let alone for a 19yr old rookie.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
is it not more because he's our most recent re-signing?
Yeah - that was a pretty negative post wan't it!

I was just thinking about the Big Bash on the broadcasting thread, with the talk of big international mercernaries, great marketing and huge TV success etc. It got me thinking who the Reds will be using for marketing this year and then saw Thor on the back page.

Anyway, in mid-Dec it barely matters does it?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Says a bit about the Reds at the moment that the big back page Courier Mail spread and splash on the website

wC3FFZp.jpg

is all based on a 19 year old who hasn't played a game for the team yet.
I think the Reds marketing team are working to the learned but doomed philosophy of its easier to market the myth than sell the reality.

The RG under link then seamless transtion to continued success - can't sell it now even with free tickets.

The JOC (James O'Connor) return.....knuff said.

Coach and management review.......

It spreads hope until about round 3!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
With the Bronco's recently signing Roberts and seemingly leaving the door open for Dale Copley to exit, I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds have at least tested the waters in regards to signing him.

I've seen him play flyhalf, fullback, centre and wing for the Broncos and he's got a good skill set and many had touted him as a future Origin player.

I'm not a massive advocate for blokes swapping codes but Copley is a very good player and wouldn't be upset if he ended up at Ballymore. I think could fit in quite nicely at 10 in rugby.

From what I understand there has been no chat about it happening though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hoping someone with some coaching set up strengths can explain something that has been bugging me for a bit.

RG: HC and Defence
Stiles: Forwards
O'Conner: Attack

Isnt something missing? Backs? Or is that simply covered through attack/defence? Our back line is pretty inchoate... or say early in its development. I would have thought it a priority.

In a year where most Super Rugby teams have an element of rebuilding, our starting 15 is looking solid. Needs experience with the bench and broader squad, lets hope there is a plan to do this.

Im liking the squad a lot, and I'll be judging sucess on how well we build, how the team "style" develops, and Im going to cope with win loss dross if the first two are going well.

Merry X-mas all.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Hoping someone with some coaching set up strengths can explain something that has been bugging me for a bit.

RG: HC and Defence
Stiles: Forwards
O'Conner: Attack

Isnt something missing? Backs? Or is that simply covered through attack/defence? Our back line is pretty inchoate. or say early in its development. I would have thought it a priority.

In a year where most Super Rugby teams have an element of rebuilding, our starting 15 is looking solid. Needs experience with the bench and broader squad, lets hope there is a plan to do this.

Im liking the squad a lot, and I'll be judging sucess on how well we build, how the team "style" develops, and Im going to cope with win loss dross if the first two are going well.

Merry X-mas all.

O'Connor in attack is responsible for the backs, and then the attack would also include forwards move - loosies etc being part of the attack. Stiles is responsible for the set piece and general forward work (which he seems to do very well) - defence, well let's hope we see some this season. Last season I felt sorry for Lachie Turner being the last line of defence all the time - he did it well but shouldn't have had to be in that position so often.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Merry Christmas Reds supporters.

Pretty stoked, got a Reds Jersey from Santa!

I am a little disappointing that I bought my Daughters kids membership in a QLD Reds Christmas promotion as well as a members cap but it did not arrive for Christmas Day. I even ordered the membership on the day the promotion started.

Oh well, being Christmas I am sure a beer will soothe the disappointment.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Is it just me or does Bath's latest signing of Amanaki Mafi push a Leroy Houston return? They now have 8 First team quality backrowers including Francois Loew, Toby Faulatau, Alafoti Faosiliva and Dave Denton.
8 does not go into 3 and I have a sneaky suspicion one of the current crop will have to go

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I like Huston and from all reports he's been doing well in the UK. If he comes back then I'd think Tui would be the Red I'd let go. For our 8 I'm keen to see Lolo develop this season.

Japanese players in Aus are limited to 2 seasons anyway I thought? So H. Tui would have to go.

Have Lolo developing @ 8 for sure, with Korzycke developing @ 6. Both young, Aussie un20 teenagers.

Keep Schatz and Browning around for reliable depth and probably to share the 6/bench spot with Korzycke.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is it just me or does Bath's latest signing of Amanaki Mafi push a Leroy Houston return? They now have 8 First team quality backrowers including Francois Loew, Toby Faulatau, Alafoti Faosiliva and Dave Denton.
8 does not go into 3 and I have a sneaky suspicion one of the current crop will have to go

Houston could end up pulling on a Gold Jersey for the 1st time after a season as starting 8 for the reds, packing in behind Slipper, Moore, Simmons & Douglas.

@ 6ft 3in -- 117kg, with currently 136 provincial caps. It'll be more when he gets here and he will have just turned 30 by 2017 Super Rugby. Could be very useful as a bollocking no.8 in the Palu/Samo fashion if Vaea and/or L.Timani don't end up cutting the mustard.

Suddenly a lot more appealing and valuable to Queensland than to Bath. Exactly what the Reds need @ 8 with Lolo developing and H.Tui in his final of his max 2 seasons in Aus (I think).

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Mafi is only on a 6 month contract for Bath.

Bath were always looking for another 6/8 after they lost Fearns between seasons. Then they lost Burgess as well.

They bought out Denton's contract from the SRU, and Faletau is coming at the beginning of next season. Mafi is just cover till he arrives.

Houston won't be a walk up start anymore. Toby is the best 8 in Europe, and Denton provides both a better blindside option and a more balanced one across the backrow, but there'll definitely be space for him in both the squad, and likely the best 23 as well.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Probably come down to the old - 30 yrs old.....
- Where is he in family life
- Will his next Bath contract be big $$ considering Falatau & Denton
- What have the Reds got in the bank to swing him (probs a fair bit)
- Game Time considering Falatau & Denton VS Game Time @ Reds
- Lifestyle (tied in with family probs)
- Carrot of Potential Wallaby Debut
- 3 Seasons at the Reds he is still only 32 when it ends.

...I hope he comes..we need him, Bath doesn't.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If he comes I hope it has more to do with setting up life for after rugby, looking to play a leadership role in a team on OK money and pushing for a gold jersey. If he wants big cash he should look at Japan, he's not worth big money in my book.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I like Huston and from all reports he's been doing well in the UK. If he comes back then I'd think Tui would be the Red I'd let go. For our 8 I'm keen to see Lolo develop this season.

Behind closed doors this deal has apparently been sought out. Still no lead or link which I can pick up on so until I've heard more it's still only a rumour.

Status
Not open for further replies.