• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If you are successful in business why waste time for a low paying 2IC role.

Don't get me wrong I wish Link was coach but nothing in it for him.

Itsadundeel

Frank Row (1)
That's the thing though, tony was assured that he had interest in being involved in rugby, and that the whole awful treatment he received hadn't dampened his appetite to coach

T

Train Without a Station

I don't mean to dismiss your comments itsadundeal, but we've been informed by a former Reds employee that McKenzie would never return to the Reds under the current management, so he's interest in returning does seem odd.

Itsadundeel

Frank Row (1)
That might be the sticking point then train, just interesting at how the board and those in control have such blind faith in RG, it's just cringeworthy really

T

Train Without a Station

It's one of those things we'll never know fully from the outside.

I've worked for organizations and if somebody asked me about them I'd speak positively and say I'd always go back for the right role. In actually fact there's a greater chance of hell freezing over though.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Welcome aboard @Itsadundeel.

Thought provoking initial post of yours.

If Link wants to coach again, perhaps he should be looking North towards Jaffaland. The Blues have shown that they are not averse to appoint Aussie coaches in the past, and their patience must be running thin with Surgeon Kirwin.

I can't see him back into Club Red (or ARU employ) for quite some time.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes they have..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11007725_10153179484210236_8599163163427313958_n.png?oh=d877936e2ac484afcd0e10afdd3800d6&oe=559ACC2E&__gda__=1440848715_7fe46ea1f6a60f77568c753f74cef5f1

Yeaaaah baby :cool:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Good to see we're locking up plenty of the young talent. All these signings does make you think head coaching for next year might be settled.

Reactions: gel

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I guess the thing to note is that the signings of Faagase, Gunn, Korczyck and Ready are all 'new' signings, in that they will be new to the main squad for next year. As is Neville, obviously. So that is 5 people they are replacing.

Neville = Horwill
Korczyck = Thomson?
Gunn = Nui ?

It will be interesting to see whose 'spots' Sef and Ready take.

T

Train Without a Station

Does anybody think unfortunately Gunn will be taking Beau's spot?

Neither Gunn nor Gill are suited anywhere but 7 so surely a third 7 is superfluous.

I will be disappointed if that's the case, but Beau has been injured a lot since 2011, and that's the reality of professional sport.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
agree. Beau is one of my favourite Reds and I wish he'd played more for them over the last couple of years. Unfortunately, he hasn't and injury has plagued him. Some good quality around him, but Beau's style was pretty unique in this current age.

Plus he was a genuine down to earth guy. Quality individual. Brad Thorn would've loved him.

Perhaps I should stop eulogising him! He aint gone yet.

T

Train Without a Station

Never know. Perhaps they will keep him knowing he has played 6 successfully before and offers a point of difference from current players.

I honestly think that we have no need for Korczyk, Quirk and Shatz. All too similar in their output before you even consider Browning. Korczyk is very young and may grow a lot as a player, so I would be letting one of Jake and Ed go.

Probably Ed because of his inferior line out work and not being experienced at the back of the scrum. Disappointing he never really kicked on from 2012/2013 as he showed so much promise.

T

Train Without a Station

Really?

I'm not putting him out to pasture or anything, but he has hardly shown that he should be a huge priority. I don't see any more in him than I saw in Schatz in his 2nd season.

Personally I would have prioritized Curtis over Gunn, but if a couple are squeezed out he could be one in the next few years unless he hits his straps.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Herein lies the problem.

Browning might have been an outstanding U20 player and could still turn into an outstanding professional player. He is only 21.

Korczyk is a current U20 player and is just under a year and a half younger than Browning.

Gunn is a few months younger still and is also in that current U20 team.

Which player or players are ultimately going to turn out the best? Which are going to be the best in the next two years?

The Reds can pretty much be assured that they're going to produce excellent young backrowers every year. Add to this mix we've also got Wilkin and Fakaosilea in the current U20s.

The challenge is working out who is going to produce the most for you and hang onto them but only at the right price. There are excellent young players coming through the ranks every year. You want to ensure you don't miss out on the next Sean McMahon because you've decided to instead retain the equivalent backrower from a year or two earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.