• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
With Ed & Beau having missed the best part of 2 years I'm not sure either are worth keeping on. Schatz is only 24 and a solid unit that I can see getting better with age ala McCalman. Gill will keep any 7's relegated to the bench for as long as he is at the Reds and one backup in case of injury is probably enough. Be sad to see Beau leave but he will be 29 at the start of next year and fighting to get back.

B

Bobby Sands

Interesting that we committed to Gunn over Wilkin. Is this because of his 7s duty, or do we feel Gunn is the superior player?

We can't hang on to everybody (or even close to it) but Wilkin would be bloody annoying to see in another jersey. He is also a rednut, and ya need them.

T

TOCC

Wilkins signed with the 7's team.. Gunn remained at the Reds, Gunn over Wilkins seems pretty straight forward

As for the backrow depth, expect a bit of turnover in this area for 2016...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Browning and Lolo and the only young players on the Reds books that are strong running back rowers. Browning has looked promising on occasion and is still very young. I think he'd be rather important to keep.

B

Bobby Sands

Browning and Lolo and the only young players on the Reds books that are strong running back rowers. Browning has looked promising on occasion and is still very young. I think he'd be rather important to keep.

Absolutely.

I am still as bullish on him as ever. The bloke is so young to play that abrasive style of game. He will be a very good eight.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Don't want to turn this into an echo chamber but Browning showed why he should be kept around when we played the Bulls and Lolo's stint off the bench the other week just left me wanting to see a lot more of him, period.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Perhaps I should stop eulogising him! He aint gone yet.

Perhaps we'll see Beau take on a Peter Hynes role at QRU? Beau appears not to be driven financially, so he may happily hang up the boots to take a more hands on role in the community.

I and I'm sure many others would appreciate a character like Beau being almost the community link to the Reds. Hell, let him be the guy who takes "Red" to the primary schools during the week!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Georgina Robinson reporting cfs may go to nsw. If he's the future wallaby (even though he has a few caps already) that was rumoured to be going south that's not as bad as it could've been. His forms has been down this year and I much prefer Kuridrani on the wing, I also think a change in scenery might be what cfs needs to get his head back in the game.

something

Jim Clark (26)
i agree, Chris hasn't gotten any better since joining the reds. Its like they have stifled his growth. I feel like reds are trying to take advantage of his size and it is ruining his natural game. you don't see him putting on any of those crazy steps he used to have, and looks like he has lost speed. Hopefully he can get back on track because he has incredible potential

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ I don't think it is just CFS that has been stifled.

When was the last time you felt really excited that the Reds backline had the pill because you knew something sensational was going to happen?

They have had plenty of talented athletes for the punters to get excited about over the last 5 or 6 years, but since 2013 the potential weapon that is the Reds backline has by and large been like the ASLAVs at Suncorp on Sunday - firing blanks.

The concern is that this malaise is flowing into Wallaby rugby.

something

Jim Clark (26)
I'm sad but happy about it. I am happy that CFS might go on and get a whole lot better, but sad because he is still one of my favourite players.

But agree with Hugh Jarse. Its fucked to think that the top level of QLD rugby is actually the worst for player growth. CFS is a prime example because he just bypassed QPR and went straight into Reds. He was never nurtured in premier or nrc and had to hit it with the big dogs straight out of school. You'd think in the three or four years he has been in a professional set up his skill set would have improved dramatically but it hasn't really changed from when he was a 17 year old. There is something very wrong about that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it all comes down to injuries. He's played half the amount of football that he should have since joining the professional ranks.

Someone needs to keep him healthy otherwise he'll never improve.

something

Jim Clark (26)
I think it all comes down to injuries. He's played half the amount of football that he should have since joining the professional ranks.

Someone needs to keep him healthy otherwise he'll never improve.

Its not as if he has spent his entire career on the pine ala Aiden Toua. he has still probably played about 30 games.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Its not as if he has spent his entire career on the pine ala Aiden Toua. he has still probably played about 30 games.

This is his fourth season and he's still under 30 matches.

At 16 games a season that's right around 50% of the games (given there's half of this season to go).

It says something about the Reds injuries in recent years that his lack of availability isn't out of the ordinary.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If true, best of luck to him.

Upsetting but I tend to agree that a change of scenery might be what he needs. If he can reach even half his potential we'll see him at Suncorp again.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting that the two "most capped" Australian Schoolboys of all time (CFS and Hugh Roach - Eastwood and NSW) both seem to have struggled to set the world on fire in top level grown up rugby.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I think it's more down to coaching and the fact he isn't developing in the current regime! Once he gets some confidence and builds from there I think we'll see what he's capable of.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Does he still have the hamstring problems? If so he could take some advice from Rob Horne who had chronic issues but hasn't done his hammy in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.