• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hard to think that Team Red would stump up for any cash for Douglas to break his contract, when they couldn't/wouldn't do so for QC (Quade Cooper).

I think I'd know which "investment" in contract breaking would be more likely to bring more punters in through the gates at Suncorp.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Genia is not backflipping. Reports suggesting he got cold feet, Giteau reaffirmed him and he's now looking forward to going.

No question he was looking at it.

Am happy he is going now. Hope his footy gets back to where it once was. His service to the Reds over a very long time, both on and off the field has been immense.
France will be a life changing experience for Will and family. Good luck

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Simple solution. KD says to ARU & Reds that each party, himself being the third party, be responsible for a 1/3 share. He then says to Leinster his heart is no longer in playing for them & that if they insisted, he'd play shithouse, but then offers $250,000 (roughly the ARU & Reds contribution) to void the contract.

Shit, I should be a player manager/solicitor;)

Maybe do a "Greece" on 'em

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Front page of GAGR reporting Genia approaching the ARU to backflip on his french deal. I might be in the minority but I reckon its in his best interets, the Reds and Australian rugby if Genia goes overseas.

His form has been sliding (not majorly but well down on 2010/11) and the Reds seem to have adequate players in place to cover his departure. Genia should go to France and get some pocket money and let the Reds start building around a younger core. The QRU will be at risk of losing Frisby soon if they continue to give all the attention to Genia, who will eventually either not be a Super Rugby level player or decide to leave.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am more surprised about this apparent propensity for players to want to break contracts and then expect someone else to pay for it or buy out the contract. I am struggling to rationalise it. Is it for real, or is it just a lot of media hogwash and content filler? Is it a recent thing due to a change in the way the contracts are constructed? Is it the mindset of the current set of players? Is this happening a lot in other countries?

I don’t seem to recall it being popular as a concept before.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Gel, funnily enough there is a big media blow up in the US at the moment about DeAndre Jordan (NBA Player) making a verbal agreement to join one team and then a few days later reneging on the deal and signing a contract with another team. That situation seems minor to what is happening in Rugby Union/League at the moment with players knowingly trying to break signed contracts or not honor them at all.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah I'm with you Gel. If you sign a contract and want out after the fact then it's on you to extricate yourself from it.
If Genia's alleged approach to the ARU is just to negotiate a new top up should he decide to bail on the French then that's ok but if he wants or expects them to pay then I'm less ok with that.
The idea of getting a third party to pay to have a player released from a contract they have signed is something I would be opposed to in principle. In some limited circumstances I think it would be warranted but it would be a dangerous precedent to set.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I hope it is media hogwash. If Genia is serious about a back flip, it makes him sound like a bit of a knob. I reckon the Reds would be better served with Frisby and whoever steps up in the NRC (Gale maybe). I'd say the Brumbies are the only side who could really use a experienced 9.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The original article was that he had cold feet and now he doesn't. I don't know why other articles skipped the important last part.

In fact the article was a nothing story in the first place..

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The original article was that he had cold feet and now he doesn't. I don't know why other articles skipped the important last part.

But if there's any meat to the the story at all, then Will is doing himself a real disservice. After renegging on his Force deal, and then on this contract if that transpires, I'd suspect he will get no other offers for the rest of his career.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's about the Euro market being slightly more advanced towards the football stage than the Southern Hemisphere. Stuff like player loaning and release/transfer fees.

When Castres were in the box seat to get relegated, they were talking about selling Richie Gray's contract to reduce wages and such. They avoided relegation, so nothing eventuated, but apparently Glasgow and 2 other French teams were "given consent to negotiate directly" by Castres.

The loaning aspect is nice I feel, given the size of the squads, but I wouldn't like fees to become commonplace to the extent it is in football.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It's not uncommon for someone with a first baby to want to be closer to their family. I wonder if his cute daughter is making them have second thoughts. He is certainly completely besotted with her.
If, of course, the story has any legs.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

The important last part may have been superseded now by the reemergence of cold feet. I have no idea, I'm just saying. I don't think anyone could confidently say that one report is more accurate than another. Will has form doing this so its at least believable.
Funny that at his best he was always decisive. He has been criticised in recent years for indecision on the field. Now off the field also it seems.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
But if there's any meat to the the story at all, then Will is doing himself a real disservice. After renegging on his Force deal, and then on this contract if that transpires, I'd suspect he will get no other offers for the rest of his career.

You're dreaming if you think that!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's about the Euro market being slightly more advanced towards the football stage than the Southern Hemisphere. Stuff like player loaning and release/transfer fees.

This.

Transfer fees are the norm in Europe and free agents pretty rare. Free Agents also are valued higher due to the absence of a transfer. It could be a source of funding to the ARU. Clubs purchasing players trained in Aus surely owe something for this development. Transfer fee works for me. This could be aligned with ARU contract even while based O/S.

It doesn't annoy me that players are leaning on an alternative employer to cover a Transfer. More to the point is an over-inflated view of what they are worth. The transfer fee needs to be included in that market valuation.

DK may be pushing his luck. QC (Quade Cooper) was working with a European valuation but in an Australian market. Not going to work on an Apples to Apples basis. But skew the market with flexible contracts, 7's, boxing etc and maybe, just maybe there was a slight hope.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some more details

He wants to play with Queensland Reds in Super Rugby next season to be closer to his father and brother Luke, who plays rugby league for the NRL's Gold Coast Titans, as well as his partner's family.
"There are a few things going on at home that I need to be there for," the 14-Test second-rower said in a statement from Dublin. "I didn't think it would be this tough to be away from it all and I hope I can get back home real soon.
"It's been a good time but also tough here, and I have spoken to the club about what's going on with my family and I have made it pretty clear that I want to get it sorted."
Former ARU high-performance manager David Nucifora, now working for the Irish Rugby Football Union, is understood to have advised Leinster against releasing Douglas without a huge compensation deal, but ARU officials have already rejected the club's request of $Aus370,000 for a release.

Nucifora again..

D

daz

Who is the current Reds backs coach? Confirmed for 2016?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.