• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Since we're talking merchandise, I'd pay a small fortune of 1 Milton Mango carton for a "Make Qld great again" flat brim cap.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
This one?

mlXfnLAk9HZ3hfm8DCMHv5g.jpg

Jesus, they start with the Christmas stuff earlier every year. ;)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I should clarify that I liked the concept of the jersey. They had a story behind the green due to a power company trying to promote green energy.

I'd be happy for a hot pink Reds jersey if it was for a reason. The grey one didn't do much for me especially as the Brumbies and Crusaders were both in similar colours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Would have sworn that the TV news tonight mentioned that Herbert is gone.

Must have misheard as I thought this place would be on meltdown.

If true, will be shame lose the river of information coming out of Ballymore via Darryl Sherbert.

Double Agent

Allen Oxlade (6)
Guessing this is as good a place as any for this - James Horwill channeling the Black Knight from Holy Grail in Quins game over the weekend. Needed a bit more than just tape.

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 2.50.41 pm.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 2.50.54 pm.png

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeah he's gone. He's been there for the long haul. Since 2007 or 8 or so. He deserves a break.

And an OAM in my mind. Don't think I've ever met a guy in rugby with more integrity then him.

Well played Herbie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is this a good or bad omen? I am conflicted, Herbie like you say is a really good bloke and lived for the Reds.......we are going to be ok aren't we?

Reactions: dru

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Saw Stylesie on the news saying they were going to change preseason by doing more Rugby and take some of the emphasis of strength and conditioning. Hopefully this translate to more skills come Feb.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L22 using Tapatalk

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Seems to me that both Skills and S&C are equally important..

No point having one without the other.
high percentage of skills based conditioning is key. need to get used to catch and passing and tackling under fatigue. no point in doing drills fresh, then finishing with 400s.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
high percentage of skills based conditioning is key. need to get used to catch and passing and tackling under fatigue. no point in doing drills fresh, then finishing with 400s.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Am old school I know but I reckon there shouldn't be a ball seen at training for the first 2 or 3 weeks.

All these blokes have a certain level of skill. That's why they are in the top squad. Can that level be increased - obviously yes !

Fitness and S&C cannot be underestimated. Get the boys well on the road to fitness and then introduce the skills stuff.

Aside: I remember Wayne Pierce - Mungo back in the day. Most unskilled player ever to play for Australia in Mungoball (IMO). What elevated him to the top was his absolute fitness and never say die attitude.

Reactions: dru

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Am old school I know but I reckon there shouldn't be a ball seen at training for the first 2 or 3 weeks.

All these blokes have a certain level of skill. That's why they are in the top squad. Can that level be increased - obviously yes !

Fitness and S&C cannot be underestimated. Get the boys well on the road to fitness and then introduce the skills stuff.

Aside: I remember Wayne Pierce - Mungo back in the day. Most unskilled player ever to play for Australia in Mungoball (IMO). What elevated him to the top was his absolute fitness and never say die attitude.

That's funny. I feel the exact opposite. I think there should be a ball involved in everything. Even if they are just holding it.

Reactions: gel

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Strength/Conditioning and skills are not one or the other so we're being very naive in dismissing the merits of playing a couple of games earlier on in the pre-season. A player can still gain fitness/conditioning from the demands of a couple of trial games and the cardio system will still get a work out.

Also, depending on how they approach these trials, they may not go balls to the wall in intensity which means a huge recovery period isn't needed and that they can continue to overload the body with S&C based work that you associate pre-season entailing.

Who knows, perhaps by seeing how the boys go in 60-80 minute games earlier on, means the coaching team can put greater emphasis on certain skills after seeing the problematic areas. It'll allow for these problems to be addressed earlier on than had we only picked up on it a couple weeks before Super Rugby starts.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
It's not 1 vs another. Over pre season they will and should train 2-3 x per day with 1-2 of the sessions being S&C intensive and 1 or more being Team Rugby at higher running intensity or individual skills/technique practice with minimal running intensity

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I do get worried that Stiles seemingly played down the value of sports science to correctly to determine the training loads that makes players optimally fit but uninjured. Sure maybe it's ok to flog them but do it at the right time and in the right amount. Old school isn't necessarily better just for the sake of it.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think the strength and conditioning team should direct the player as to what standard of fitness they have to be if they want to get paid. Do fitness work in your own time.

Training should be on skills that will win us the game, if our players do not have enough interest to be fit then we will never win.

Obviously injuries can impact on this and has to be taken into account but if a player is fit then they need to watch after themselves, they are not children.

This is no different to expecting players to maintain fitness over Christmas and not return overweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.