• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
They did a fair bit of S&C work in their first pre-season hit out. I think they'll combine the two areas, as others have suggested. It should be pretty physical skill work. But they need to do heaps on their skills, so I'm happy with that focus.

Agreed, obviously media =/= reality, but there's a lot of recent S&C footage online.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Media re L Gill's award, C-M link below. A Reds' Gala Ball 'cannot be afforded'. 12+ positions within QRU gone since mid-2016 (was RR referring to a D Herbert departure from the QRU above?).

Also this text re the IMO very unfortunate departure of Mack Mason to the Tahs FFS. If as the article states he was 'no 4 in line' re a Reds' 10 for 2017, that's a screaming joke. He's vastly more talented than J McIntyre.

"The Australian Rugby Union’s flawed contracting laws were exposed again on Tuesday when Queensland Under-20s flyhalf Mack Mason was unveiled in the NSW Waratahs squad.
Mason had a two-year deal with the Reds which included next season as did sharp fullback Tom Banks, 22, who has been swooped on by the ACT Brumbies.
Because both were on development-level contracts with the Reds, there was no protection in the ARU’s rules when rival clubs came knocking with a few extra dollars.
In the Banks situation, yet again the Reds or Waratahs have paid the costs of developing a player only for another club to sit back and poach when a year of professional training has already been invested.
Equally, the Reds had rated Banks as their No.3 fullback and Mason as their No.4 option at flyhalf so they both did what young impatient players most often do."
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/5c7700ee6a2b9172d3fc2352997fdbee
What sort of contracts do the Reds use,that are optional for the player?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
That's a pathetically parochial article.

Calling the players impatient. Blaming the ARU and the other Unions.

If you can't find full spots for players, you don't deserve to retain them if someone comes a knocking.

It's not 1991 anymore.

Absolutely. The supporters need to remain tribal, but for the players this is their career opportunity to hit the big time. They shouldn't & won't stay 3rd or 4th in the queue when opportunities arrise elsewhere.
The emphasis should be on the selection staff to determine who their future stars are and proceed along that path
That has possibly happened in Mason & Bank's situation.
It is also better from an Australian rugby aspect to spread the young talent across the 5 Super teams, giving those young players more opportunity to excel.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I hate the negativity from some of the comments here, but surely the key point had nothing to do with the players taking opportunity when it wasnt available at the Reds. What I was hearing is doubtful decissions at the Reds that valued certain players (eg McIntyre) to the neglect of other talent (eg Mason).

And while most of us are not in a position to comment from accurate knowledge (all I get is game footage and Red media release, not a view of training) in this case, from my limited perspective, I strongly agree. Mack in a blue jersey, with McIntyre on the Reds bench is distasteful to me. A sort of unnecessary legency for the RG era.

Anyhoo, the general gist was more than that. Shambolic Red admin etc on the back of a poor commercial performance. I think most of us get that. But its time to either get on board or to back off. Off course there will be issues on the back of recent history and commercial performance.

Lets hope the stress leave stuff settles to normal and that a resurgent Reds comes with sustainable profitability.

I'm really looking forward to the new season.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
What was the contracting situation with McIntyre like? Maybe they couldn't break his contract early so there just wasn't money to promote Mack

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I still maintain the QRU talent identification team should just be to ask their players if they have been contacted by the brumbies: if yes then sign them, if no then let them go. ;P

The brumbies talent identification has historically been very good so they obviously have a clue or two.

Looking through the lineup for the backs (wings and fullback) it appears very dependent on Hunt being fit - I would have thought Banks would have been 2nd.

Can't understand CFS or Kuridrani being in the squad at all tbh. Kuridrani would do well in a team like the brumbies or one of the Kiwi teams as they would fix up his technique. The QRU will still be figuring out why technique doesn't end in a "k", so his talent is going to waste.

CFS is just an absolute lol. next time the Reds run out against a super rugby team made up of semi and non professional club players, he would be the first person I'd pick. Against anyone else, he just doesn't want to know about it and it shows in how he plays.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A good barometer for the "health" of a team for the coming season is the membership count, bearing in mind that most teams under financial stress often use inventive ways of counting "memberships".

Anyone know what the Reds 2017 membership count is up to ATM?

Hopefully some of those who spat the membership dummy for 2016 and/or 2015 in response to the RG era are returning to the fold on account of a new coach, and a pretty exciting 2017 roster, notwithstanding that some Grizzlegutsers will continue to whinge and moan about the loss of some young talent to other franchises and the retention of others who have never performed. The reality is different as others have pointed out. The young' uns that have gone will improve the overal standard and depth of Australian Rugby.

SideBar: - How good was it to see the Vic U20's make the final of the 2016 U20 Championship, with plenty of ex Reds Juniors in the Ponies and Rebels squads, and a couple with the Force? As much as I would have liked to see my mob make the Grand Final, they didn't play well enough, and it is good to see former whipping boys standing up and being rewarded for their efforts.

For me, if I was a Banjolander, I would be excited about the prospects for 2017 for Team Red. As Waratard, I am excited about the prospect of some real spice coming back to the Reds v Tahs fixtures. The last few years Tahs v Reds fixtures have become as predictable as a Mungo SOO series result, with boring football and predictable outcomes being as attractive a prospect as attending an all night Barbara Cartland Regency Romance Movie Marathon.

Australian Rugby needs a financially healthy Reds and Tahs mob, and consistently competitive squads from 2 of the other 3 Aust franchises.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
"Australian Rugby needs a financially healthy Reds and Tahs mob, and consistently competitive squads from 2 of the other 3 Aust franchises."

Agree 100%
In the main the "engine room" of rugby development grow up supporting the Tahs or the Reds, their strength determines the strength of Australian rugby.

The Reds and Tahs need to be healthy, ultimately their success and their support base, as well as memberships encourage NSW and QLD depth and development, which then feeds the other 3 franchises.

From what I see at the moment the Tahs are much more proactive in embracing their heartland. Reds need to do some work.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Reds (and the Tahs) will always be criticised for the ones that got away.

But you simply can't keep the all and whoever you bet on will be the wrong one to a load of critics.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
Two words - Mack Mason

The Reds may buy him back at the end of his career when he is about 35 or 36, and get 6 months out him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Two words - Mack Mason

Time will tell how good he actually is. Unless the Tahs have a shocking year I wouldn't expect him to get on the field.

Maybe it will be the Tahs paying for a year of his development and he will end up somewhere else before he becomes a viable Super Rugby player.

Being the best 10 of your year group at under 20 level doesn't necessarily mean you will be that amazing in the long term. McIntyre was also that guy and so was Debreczeni and neither of them have really excelled so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.