• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Reds had some Facebook photos up from pre-season. Spotted a bearded face I'm pretty sure is Tyrone Lefau. Maybe he's taken Banks' supplementary spot?

He was very good in the NRC although I don't think he was used all that well, Lefau is more of a centre who can play wing and Banks is an outright fullback IMO...

T

TOCC

Brisbane Roar have had to move one of their AFC games from Ballymore as one of the stands was apparently deemed unusable. I wonder if that is due to standards set by FFA/AFC governing body and what that means for the future of Ballymore.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
ballymore bulletin is quite impressive!! if that is a dick barker - being a communications man, i would think so.... it is a good start

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rebels u20's squad are in with a head start training with the Rebels Super Rugby squad pre-season. Qld u20's training squad will only all be together for the first time early Jan. Is this a good or bad thing with regard to fitness and team building?

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
Rebels u20's squad are in with a head start training with the Rebels Super Rugby squad pre-season. Qld u20's training squad will only all be together for the first time early Jan. Is this a good or bad thing with regard to fitness and team building?

There's a few comments over in the GPS rugby 2017 thread in the Schoolboys forum about which kids are training with the Reds U20s. So at the very least some of the 20s squad are in pre-season.

Also looks like the Reds have held on to a good chunk of last years schoolboy talent for the 20s next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, I think every Super club is rolling with the model of the better players training with the top squad, and the also-rans or younger blokes with 20s group.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah, I think every Super club is rolling with the model of the better players training with the top squad, and the also-rans or younger blokes with 20s group.
Yeah the development boys and Players of National Interest (PONI's) are training together, the schoolboys have just joined in but the club players (Colts) only join in Jan. A little disjointed IMO and it only gives 4 weeks to trial games & 6 weeks to first game? Hopefully the club boys arrive in Jan already fit and conditioned and ready for game training.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah the development boys and Players of National Interest (PONI's) are training together, the schoolboys have just joined in but the club players (Colts) only join in Jan. A little disjointed IMO and it only gives 4 weeks to trial games & 6 weeks to first game? Hopefully the club boys arrive in Jan already fit and conditioned and ready for game training.

Yeah, but when you do the math there's probably 23+ players in the Dev/PONI category. So the club boys are really extras, especially when you consider it's a 6 game season, and I'd be surprised if they're not at least holding hit shields for some of the elite players.

Never heard the acronym PONI, I'll file that one away.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah, but when you do the math there's probably 23+ players in the Dev/PONI category. So the club boys are really extras, especially when you consider it's a 6 game season, and I'd be surprised if they're not at least holding hit shields for some of the elite players.

Never heard the acronym PONI, I'll file that one away.
Main squad/development- Hewat, Ngamanu, Scott Young, Hocking, Riley.
PONI's - Nucifora, Luka, Hoopert, Stewart & Wright.
Not sure of any others or the schoolboys except Angus Blythe.
I know Farrel, Tualima & Sargent + Nudgee 2016 #13 have all left for the Rebels.
Edit:- Tony Hunt in development and McNamara in PONI.
That brings Dev/PONI's to 12.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
A question for the more switched on fans here. I'm trying to work out when a photo of the Reds was taken. The main detail I can see is the jerseys feature Stratco's logo on the back. When did they change to Bioglan Red Krill oil?

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
A question for the more switched on fans here. I'm trying to work out when a photo of the Reds was taken. The main detail I can see is the jerseys feature Stratco's logo on the back. When did they change to Bioglan Red Krill oil?

From what I remember it was 2013 or 2014.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Do you have this photo?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
No. Saw it out the other day on a a wall and had a disagreement with a mate over it. :) As you do!
I reckon it's probably 2011. It's a pic of a bunch of the players in a huddle. You can see Horwill, Cooper, Digby, Samo, Ant Faainga and Beau Robinson (wearing 7). Stratco logo across the back.

Quade missed a ton of 2012 so less likely to be then. Not sure when Gill started to start over Beau.

Anyway it's not that important. I was hoping it was 2011 but I'll prob just tell myself that in any case.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
No. Saw it out the other day on a a wall and had a disagreement with a mate over it. :) As you do!
I reckon it's probably 2011. It's a pic of a bunch of the players in a huddle. You can see Horwill, Cooper, Digby, Samo, Ant Faainga and Beau Robinson (wearing 7). Stratco logo across the back.

Quade missed a ton of 2012 so less likely to be then. Not sure when Gill started to start over Beau.

Anyway it's not that important. I was hoping it was 2011 but I'll prob just tell myself that in any case.

Any one know what Beau Robinson is doing these days?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I look forward to seeing a Frisby & Cooper combination. Cooper is home now and if he strings game time together he will get the mojo back. Frisby is under rated and has a solid skill set. (more so than that crap Phipps dished up last night)

I like the locks. Simmons is a great technical lock, work horse and has found a bit more mongrel this year. Douglas and Neville will partner him well. I expect both locks to play tight this year with good back row running options.

In Styles fashion our front row will be solid and no bullshit.

I would like to see Kerevi really work on his ball distribution skills. He reminds me off Ma Nonu early in his career. He then developed that shit hot distribution game off both sides which is what I would love to see from Kerevi. For a big fella he is agile like Nonu.

Not really excited about Moore. Bit of a has been in my view and I really liked the promise of Ready this year.

Back row options look great.

We just need to put it into a well disciplined and organised package and the Reds could be in for a good year. We have a good balance.

T

TOCC

Lock is an interesting position, Reds have great depth there coupled with some rising stars. Caderny Neville came to QLD chasing a start and he did well with the opportunities offered, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Luckhan Tui taking the bench position ahead of him throughout the season.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Just hope Simmo brings his new found bit of running to next year.

Bloke has always been a toiler with great work ethic but the Reds need him to get over the ad line most times.

Reckon he'll be primed to go

T

TOCC

Demands of Simmons vary between Reds and Wallabies though, especially with the back row the Reds will have next year.. they aren't short of a ball runner, it's the hard working toiler that will be lacking, G. Smith brings that trait but I'm not expecting him to play all games.

Simmons will be expected to play a high work rate game to offset the likes of Houston and Higgers who are there for their running and impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.