• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
What would your 10s team be?

Think its run on 10 + 6 subs?

Who is NOT available by then? Players in Japan? Higs, Tui, Smith.Injured?Sautia ?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1 Slipper
2 Ready
3 Tupou
4 Neville
5 Tui

6 Frisby
7 QC (Quade Cooper)
8 Kerevi
9 Magnay
10 Perese

11 Mafi / Moore ???
12 Super Sef
13 Korzcyk
14 Tuttle ??
15 Hunt
16 Nabuli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Man, after watching these matches I don't even really care about our W/L next year as much as I do just seeing the side play anywhere near as fast or aggressively as these Reds sides did.

I've grown increasingly tired of seeing Wallabies sides rolled out who are trying to play coast-to-coast rugby with hardly any genuine pace in the side outside of Hooper. Fat lot of good getting the ball to the train tracks does you when the guy out there can't get around the edge (or even beat a man 1-on-1 in some cases.. Naivalu starting last week was very refreshing in that aspect).

With guys like Frisby/Higgers/QC (Quade Cooper)/Magnay/Nabuli/Perese in the side this year I really hope we can recapture some of this playing at pace, it's a joy to watch.

I know the trend over the last few years in rugby has been towards larger players (although this is seems to be reversing now, at least in the forwards) but I've always thought that guys with genuine pace can create just as many opportunities on both sides of the ball (watch how Beale used his speed in defense against England in the 2015 WC) and are far better at making the most out of turnover ball.

Just tired of seeing sides with plenty of big blokes but hardly anyone with real speed to complement them, hoping the Reds can cure that hangover for me in 2017.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
But they always seemed to know when to turn it on and we had so many players who could finish a movement and get the ball over the line, it's great stuff to watch.

Watching Davies step guys at 25mph never gets old.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Long time lurker and first time poster...

Oh how I miss Link... The variety in tactics and game plan that he had was part of the surprise factor in the way the Reds played and made it so much fun for me. So lacking these days, even more so with the wallabies.

Looking forward to a great year, after the depressing RG years it's nice to be excited again.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Long time lurker and first time poster.

Oh how I miss Link. The variety in tactics and game plan that he had was part of the surprise factor in the way the Reds played and made it so much fun for me. So lacking these days, even more so with the wallabies.

Looking forward to a great year, after the depressing RG years it's nice to be excited again.

I also think Link had some very good coaching support staff who have moved on.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Oh how I miss Link. The variety in tactics and game plan that he had was part of the surprise factor in the way the Reds played and made it so much fun for me. So lacking these days, even more so with the wallabies.

Can only agree on Link. Tragedy to Aus rugby.

Suspect we should not get too far ahead of ourselves for 2017. Stiles has some good background at the Reds but this is a big step. He seemed in earlier statements, to be leaning on the WB coaching for support. Where this means input from Byrnes its a good thing.

I suspect that Reds fans will want to see a little freedom to our halves to work the opportunity that they see, not just work the set plays. And Frisby needs support in building this. Is Gilmore the right bloke for this? Knock-on-wood, lets hope so. God knows right now Larkham is not.

But we could do well in learning from the basic WB defence and attack structures. They're a decent base.

Looking forward to the season.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)

In many ways Link's brilliance with variety was also his downfall. A large part of the conflict within the Wobs when he was in charge was the differing game plans for each rival. Players from a non-qld background struggled with this simply because they weren't used to it. A major reason that Link dubbed Quade as the best implementor of a game plan he had ever seen.

When Larkham came on board with the Wobs he made some disparaging remarks clearly aimed at Link about standardizing the game plan week in week out. We've seen the success this has brought.

Many forget Link won the comp with a bunch of players who wouldn't make the NSW 23, the strategic side of things helps cover the talent gap.

Conversely, the Tahs took a championship caliber side and added Hooper, Folau, Beale and Potgieter. The won on a talent advantage. Something we certainly don't have at the Wallaby level.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Me: I'm tired of getting my hopes up for the Reds, they'll never have a good year again.

Other Me: Get your hopes up, we've got next season in the bag.

evil-kermit-the-frog-meme-dark-side.jpg

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The one concern I have with the player base is in regard to the senior players. Such as Moore, Slipper, Simmons, George Smith, Higginbotham and yes, even Cooper, is that its going to be hard for them to maintain the passion to win. That their mind set will be, "ho hum, just one more Super 18 game, nothing special, another day, another dollar".
These will be the very players the rest of the squad will be looking up to for their inspiration. But if the leaders are not themselves inspired, then what?

Just saying, that's all.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The one concern I have with the player base is in regard to the senior players. Such as Moore, Slipper, Simmons, George Smith, Higginbotham and yes, even Cooper, is that its going to be hard for them to maintain the passion to win. That their mind set will be, "ho hum, just one more Super 18 game, nothing special, another day, another dollar".
These will be the very players the rest of the squad will be looking up to for their inspiration. But if the leaders are not themselves inspired, then what?

Just saying, that's all.

Think you are way off the mark with Slipper, Simmons, Higgers and Cooper. They will be raring to go and IMO those blokes have passion dripping out of their arse..... Add to those blokes Ready and Frisby and maybe a couple of others.

The other blokes you mentioned, I agree with and could chuck in another half a dozen quite easily.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Why would those guys not want to win? Perhaps I'm missing the message in what you're saying but why would they not be inspired or passionate about winning. Are you inferring that they have the cruise control on and just waiting for retirement? If you are then I can't agree with you.

These guys are professional athletes. Needing to win is what drives them. I seriously doubt someones ability to do what they do if their heart wasn't in it. The endless fitness training, the gym work, the injuries and niggles, the constant travel, living out of a suitcase for half the year etc etc. would get real old real quick if you weren't passionate about doing it.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I do think there is a difference between being a professional athlete, simply playing for the best money you can get (from anywhere) and being a homegrown product who absolutely has no allegiance other than the team he is playing for (and always played for)(and being fairly remunerated as well).

Naturally all players from the Under 7's want to win. Clearly that is in the DNA of all athletes , professional or armature.

To me, rugby is often about the one percenters. The Coaching team, the culture of the group (now severely fractured by different cultures within the larger group), the sense of belonging, the "sense" of being a Queenslander (or New South Welshman etc), the sense of letting supporters down blah blah.

A lot of that has gone in the professional era and it seems destined to remain so. Personally I have a feeling of loss.

Anyway IMO the Reds will have a very good season, hopefully topping the Aussie Conference and getting crowds back to Suncorp.

I really think Stiles will be a standout coach He seems to be a no nonsense and conservative bloke and I just hope that we get the first few wins on the trot which will bring added confidence to the group as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.