• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Why would those guys not want to win? Perhaps I'm missing the message in what you're saying but why would they not be inspired or passionate about winning. Are you inferring that they have the cruise control on and just waiting for retirement? If you are then I can't agree with you.

These guys are professional athletes. Needing to win is what drives them. I seriously doubt someones ability to do what they do if their heart wasn't in it. The endless fitness training, the gym work, the injuries and niggles, the constant travel, living out of a suitcase for half the year etc etc. would get real old real quick if you weren't passionate about doing it.

I remember in 2014, at the start of the Super 15 season, the Crusaders had all their gun AB players back. And it was those players who didn't perform at the beginning of the season.
Sure, as the season progressed, they improved their performance, but talk about a coach's worst nightmare to start of with.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I remember in 2014, at the start of the Super 15 season, the Crusaders had all their gun AB players back. And it was those players who didn't perform at the beginning of the season.
Sure, as the season progressed, they improved their performance, but talk about a coach's worst nightmare to start of with.

That could well happen but I doubt it will be due to a lack of passion which is what I was replying to . With a handful of guys not available until the end of the Japanese season (Higginbotham, Smith, H Tui) it would be reasonable to expect to see a few of the younger guys get some starts in the first couple of rounds. They will be chomping at the bit, so a few older blokes in there to keep them in check and focused should be good.

I reckon the mix will be about right for round one and as as guys become available we can make adjustments where needed. We are certainly one of the better positioned Aus franchises at this point.

T

TOCC

Japan's Top Lesgue season has been adjusted to facilitate Super Rugby and allow a break, there is a 5 week break between the final round of the top league and 1st round of Super Rugby, if teams make it through to the Grand Final then this shrinks to 3 week. Tui and Smith are both in Suntory who will likely play in the GF, Higgers team is pretty low on the ladder at the moment so he may be back earlier.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I reckon the mix will be about right for round one and as as guys become available we can make adjustments where needed. We are certainly one of the better positioned Aus franchises at this point.

What's that quote about underperforming and over-delivering? Its time to call a spade a bloody shovel. The Reds squad on paper is the strongest Australian squad by miles. They should win our conference in a canter and give the Kiwi's a real run for top two. As I expect the Lions to be the only decent SA side, that means they have a strong chance of taking home their second championship this year coming.

Weaknesses? Maybe a lack of experience in the props, some issues with outside backs and a back-up 10 that's rubbish. Every other franchise in Australia would kill to have those as the key weaknesses. All the other franchises have huge weaknesses in their starting line-ups!

We all know what a squad's paper credentials are worth, on the park performance is everything. But at this stage of the season the Reds are a conference shoo-in and should make the final.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
What's that quote about underperforming and over-delivering? Its time to call a spade a bloody shovel. The Reds squad on paper is the strongest Australian squad by miles. They should win our conference in a canter and give the Kiwi's a real run for top two. As I expect the Lions to be the only decent SA side, that means they have a strong chance of taking home their second championship this year coming.

Weaknesses? Maybe a lack of experience in the props, some issues with outside backs and a back-up 10 that's rubbish. Every other franchise in Australia would kill to have those as the key weaknesses. All the other franchises have huge weaknesses in their starting line-ups!

We all know what a squad's paper credentials are worth, on the park performance is everything. But at this stage of the season the Reds are a conference shoo-in and should make the final.

Stop it

T

TOCC

Waratahs have more Wallabies then any other Australian Super Ruby team, they are still the Australia conference favourite based on the quality of starting Wallabies; Foley, Folau, Kepu, Hooper and Phipps. Throw in Wallabies Skelton, Mumm, Latu, Naiyavaro, Horne and Robertson and it's almost an entire Wallaby XV.

Trust us Hawko, Queenslanders know best.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Slpper, Moore, Simmons, Douglas and Kerevi plus Smith, HigginBotham, Houston, Ready, Cooper, CFS and Frisby not that much difference. Add Hendrick Tui and the Reds are in front.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
TOCC forgot Paddy Ryan for the Tahs.

I think the Tahs should be the favourite amongst the Aussie teams. Bookies currently have them at the same odds as the Brumbies. Reds far behind.

On paper the Tahs and Reds have to be considered pretty similar.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
TOCC forgot Paddy Ryan for the Tahs.

I think the Tahs should be the favourite amongst the Aussie teams. Bookies currently have them at the same odds as the Brumbies. Reds far behind.

On paper the Tahs and Reds have to be considered pretty similar.
I always thought bookies odds were more about covering the spread than who they thought would actually win.
I think we pretty much know how the Waratahs will look in '17 but the Brumbies and the Reds have a lot of things that could go well or badly easily. I think any prediction of their positions on the ladder next year could be seriously wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.