• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Really Hawko? If I was a Reds' fan, I'd be wanting to know just who in the Reds' squad would keep Hooper on the bench, and on what known form of the Reds would anyone currently rate them better than the Tahs?

Answers:
  1. George Smith
  2. Slipper>Ryan, Moore>Latu, Simmons>Mumm, Douglas>Skelton, Higgers>Dempsey, Smith>Hooper. In the pack that's 6 Reds and 2 Tahs (Kepu and Holloway). In addition I reckon Robertson is the second best THP
  3. Frisby=Phipps, Cooper=Foley, Folau=Kerevi toss a coin about the rest.
This IS a hypothetical discussion based on an evaluation of individual players. I am basing my conclusion on the strength of the pack more than the backs, where both teams will play very different styles and its harder to compare. But I stand by my earlier posts. The Reds should be the best Australian team in 2017, but I think that by 2018-19 the Tahs squad will be back on top.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hawko, I'm thinking that maybe I oughtn't be cluttering up the Reds thread with my thoughts, but one last go. George is a favourite of mine (and most others I'd guess), and imo is the best player I've seen turn out for the Wallabies. But at their current points in their respective careers, I'd have to say that I'd rate Hooper as the better bet until proved otherwise by George.

Similarly, regarding where they are with their present careers, I would expect Latu in 2017 to be Squeaky's equal or damn near to, as well as Dempsey with Higgers. In the backs I would still rate Phipps superior to Frisby. So by my reckoning, there is not enough between the squads to really say with any surety that one will or should definitely finish in front of the other in 2017.

And then, the Tahs' coaching team is probably superior in experience to the reds right now too.

Just my thoughts, but I'd like to see the Reds up there and fighting for a finals spot next year (with the Brumbies). Merry Christmas.

T

TOCC

George Smith is coming off 2 consecutive season with no pre-season and is 36 years old, you're having a laugh if you think he would keep Michael Hooper on the bench at the Reds.. heck, David Pocock couldn't keep Hooper on the bench of the Wallabies

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ridiculous arguments from some.

Smith has lacked preseasons and is old (as discussed), but his form is excellent. He won awards and accolades for his last season at the Wasps.

If Smith and Hooper were at the same Super franchise, Smith would play 8 (as he has done a lot in Japan and England) and Hooper would play 7, no question. The price of their contracts alone would necessitate it, let alone the fact that you'd need that talent on the park.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
George Smith does not require such trivial things as pre-seasons.... conditioning.... game plans... even training....

He is George Smith - simply put a jersey on him and set him loose.

There was talk of him getting horrendous scores for an openside for his fitness testing in his Wallaby days.

Can't vouch for them, he seemed pretty fit to me.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
In his biography I think I recall reading that he always had trouble with a lot of the training side of things. Hitting the correct weights, getting the right scores for fitness etc. Never a great training but apparently didn't need to be.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
George Smith is like Chuck Norris, he doesn't go training, training goes to him

Looking forward to seeing him in Red, still pissed off about losing LFG but George is a good consolation prize

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
In his biography I think I recall reading that he always had trouble with a lot of the training side of things. Hitting the correct weights, getting the right scores for fitness etc. Never a great training but apparently didn't need to be.

I think opensides need a bit of padding given the ridiculous its they take while fetching.

Having a mindset to risk injury while bent over waiting for a hit while over the tackler is much more important that being a point or two higher on the beep test than an opponent.

Fitness is a factor in Rugby but as a contact sport the mental ability to hurt yourself for a team is sometimes the most important thing, this also gives a skillset to keep working when you have no energy left

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Timing is key for an effective 7. There is no point getting first to everyruck and getting smashed 7 out of 8 times. The key is to using you energy and hit absorption wisely! the great pilferers rarely go for a steal when its not on

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle, with the anecdotes about GS' hatred (and lack of) fitness training come from earlier on in his career in his 'dred' phase when he was a little chubbier. Even towards the end of his time in Aus (2007-9) you'd notice his body shape changed substantially, a conscious decision coinciding with a bit of a loss of pace no doubt (as happens to most players mid-career).

Obviously, as many have said, explosiveness, decision making on 'when/where' to pilfer, and fearlessness, are key attributes for opensiders at the pilfer, but fitness is the underlying trait that gets you the opportunities to practise all of the above. When you're a young bloke that fitness and mobility around the park just comes a little easier.

There's a reason the 7 and 9 are 2/3 of the players that cover the most metres in a game, and that's because they have to get to the most breakdowns. Fitness is key.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I was young in his peak, I remember GS as a player that's dynamism as a link man was always more valuable than his breakdown presence.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, I was young in his peak, I remember GS as a player that's dynamism as a link man was always more valuable than his breakdown presence.

He definitely had that, amirite, but his breakdown work was still a MASSIVE part of his game. He was the first true pilfering Aussie 7 I can remember. Wilson had a remarkable work rate and was an underrated linker, but Smith used to come away with possession at the ruck so often and in ways that would blow your mind. Very similar to Pocock.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
He definitely had that, amirite, but his breakdown work was still a MASSIVE part of his game. He was the first true pilfering Aussie 7 I can remember. Wilson had a remarkable work rate and was an underrated linker, but Smith used to come away with possession at the ruck so often and in ways that would blow your mind. Very similar to Pocock.

Fair enough, we've all got our blind spots I guess.

The first series I really remember watching him was that romping of England when they brought that terrible squad over.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fair enough, we've all got our blind spots I guess.

The first series I really remember watching him was that romping of England when they brought that terrible squad over.

in 98? That was Wilson at 7. Toutai at 8.

Smith debuted at the end of 2000 v France (was sin binned and got man of the match). Lions series in 2001 was his first home series.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
While we are all gushing over George how would we best make a push to have the naming sponsor logo changed on his jersey from 'St George' to 'King George' or something similar?? :D If King George didn't float we could just spell out the St so that his jersey read Saint George?

Surely someone smarter than I am could spin that so that from a marketing sense it would be attractive to St George?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It sells itself, just like the Rebel Sport Rebels, or the Red Bull Bulls.

Shame brand partnership executives make their decisions on exposure metrics and not based on humorous naming conventions.

Status
Not open for further replies.