• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Seeing a lot of Brad Lacey and Kirwan Sanday in the Reds preseason pics.

Are they on EPS spots or just holding tackle bags? Has Lacey found a Prem Rugby home yet?

Also spotted Phil Kite, returning from the Kiwi wilderness.

52dbf65859ee05c95623ca51d47f519c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swandive

Allen Oxlade (6)
Higgers was helped off the field around the 60th minute mark for NEC on Sunday. Some kind of leg injury. Haven't heard anything but hope he is OK.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Higgers was helped off the field around the 60th minute mark for NEC on Sunday. Some kind of leg injury. Haven't heard anything but hope he is OK.

Rich Freeman says his NEC coaches aren't worried. Nothing serious, but went for scans yesterday.

Haven't heard the results yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

what happens with payments when this occurs, does insurance pay? Does NEC pay until the injury is fixed? Do the Reds just have to suck it up and pay for everything?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I like the look of the possible lineup this year, and while having a quiet preseason drink with a few mates on weekend I was moved to say I can see the Reds going very close to topping the Aus conference this year. As a Canes supporter who lives here in Redsland, I am feeling pretty good at thought of supporting Reds (against non NZ teams ;)) and may even look to getting a season ticket again, as I feel even if they don't win a hell all the time, I get the feeling they may just give everything a real good crack!!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
what happens with payments when this occurs, does insurance pay? Does NEC pay until the injury is fixed? Do the Reds just have to suck it up and pay for everything?

NEC insurance scheme would cover approved costs/procedures. Doesn't mean the Reds medical team wouldn't want additional options taken once here, but that would be up to them.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Heard Higgers is on a "Hillary" contract in the first year. Subsequent years may be different dependant upon performance in a Reds jersey

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
that partially surprises me considering the $$ he would command overseas, how that sort of pay for play deal would probably be compounding, with things like, if he plays x amount of games then gets a $X bonus, etc etc.

Also, just married and all his business interests in Brisbane, probably just easier lifestyle wise to be home.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
that partially surprises me considering the $$ he would command overseas, how that sort of pay for play deal would probably be compounding, with things like, if he plays x amount of games then gets a $X bonus, etc etc.

Also, just married and all his business interests in Brisbane, probably just easier lifestyle wise to be home.

Think you are pretty spot on the money and the methodology.

I suppose after pocketing $1.2 mill per rear for 2 seasons he might give away a few coffees - but then again business is business.

Anyway very glad to have the bloke back where he belongs.

Personally I think he was a much better signing than Moore but that is a whole other discussion

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I forgot how young a large portion of the reds squad is with so many in the under 23 age bracket. I am optimistic as usual but I'm starting to realize we still might see a fair few super rugby players with less then 10 caps. The NRC has done a bridging job though with most of these guys being around senior squads for a while now. When does the rugby start?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Higgers may want another crack at a RWC too. Barring injury he should still be capable enough and the Wallabies definitely missed a player with his profile over the last season - would be a good battle with Holloway (assuming a Cheika hasn't totally thrown Jed on the trash heap).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reckon you are right.

Higgers played too wide for Cheika although he seems OK with Hooper playing wide.

AND then there was Higgers shitty kick (and he got subbed quickly thereafter).

Agree with USA that he is more than capable of making a play for the next RWC.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Something about their attacking patterns allows a loose forward to stay in the far 5m channel for support. Often it has been Fardy (I think because he has about as much impact as a feather in attacking breakdowns) Higs would be far more effective out there, and now that we have some purely dominant big bodies in coleman and timani, the flanks can play to their strengths.

Only thing we will see is a reduction in turning over opposition ball, however we can either choose to crush and destroy the breakdowns like england with monster muscles, or simply make a tackles then realign the defensive line without committing to the breakdown, ensuring that each individual tackle is effective and halts momentum.

Unfortunately when it was simmons, horwill, carter, mccalman, fardy etc, noone had the ability to own the space at the breakdown, therefore couldn't afford even 1 forward hanging out and about and when tackling, they would always surrender meters to bigger opposition forwards 1 by 1.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Something about their attacking patterns allows a loose forward to stay in the far 5m channel for support. Often it has been Fardy (I think because he has about as much impact as a feather in attacking breakdowns) Higs would be far more effective out there, and now that we have some purely dominant big bodies in coleman and timani, the flanks can play to their strengths.

I think the ruck stats tell a different story..........

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
would love to read a breakdown of fardys stats and contribution in attacking breakdowns. Always been positive on defence.

If I had to choose a blindside flanker to operate in the wider channels in attacking phases, considering we now have guys like coleman and timani to successfully take care of the initial hit ups, I'd take Higs over Fardy in 2017.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Higgers will have to greatly improve his workrate and impact at the breakdown for Cheika to select him though..........

Status
Not open for further replies.