• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Yep Neville. No photoshop. He had some surgery in the off season. He was lucky enough to engage the services of prominent surgeon Dr Nick Riviera!

Pilfering and defensive lineout abilities should be improved greatly!

it would be good in the front row, correct bind while pulling down your opponent.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
c9d4e1d003e556bbbc5211a193ef7915.jpg

Just found this mock up of the Away jersey for this season.

Maybe we're planning on testing the theory that Black Jerseys are invisibility cloaks?

would love it with red koala instead of grey

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Its 2017, time to start posting again.

Lots of talk around Moore, Higgers, Smith. I'll add Houston to that list. It will always be about their impact in the game rather than their age. And with or without this, they've already added hugely to the Reds marketing in the off season.

[Don't laugh. The difference in rugby marketing in Brisbane and Sydney - where I live - is chalk and cheese. Imagine if you took all that energy and potential that is tapped into the SRU rugby renegados and put it into actually promoting the game? That's what I see in Brisbane. Big thumbs up as I have no doubt that there are politics north of the border too. Keep it managed and keep it positive guys.]

Back to the elder statesmen - it seems a stretch that all four will work out and knock on the doors of the WBs let alone put themselves in position for the next RWC.

What I do like is the younger coverage and the mentoring potential.

All of these guys seem to be on a "leading to retirement" gig with the carrot being possible Reds coaching positions in the future. Which I also like, as long as there is some kind of method to ensure fit for purpose.

AND OF COURSE, as long as the QPR continues to be built as a coaching pathway, not just parachuting in guys born here returning on retirement. This last period has possibly seen Thorp introduced in that mode, and Gilmore/Arnold coming through the ranks. That's a proportion that works for me.

Looking forward very much (and also aprehensive) to see the work of Arnold and Gilmore. I'm hoping that Stiles manages to find a way to utilise the growing centralisation of the WB coaching and systems, certainly winging dry anything from Mick Byrnes.

BUT A MAJOR CONDITION that the Reds remain distinctive and driven from within. Strangely enough, I'd be happy enough with Greys defensive systems - which to me seem reactive to the HC style requirements and the attack coach's positional systems. Works for me as it would necessarily be a little different at the Reds using the same intentions.

But Larkhams 1-3-3-1 needs to be tested for a Reds fit. (More to the point, the second phase behind the pods and the interaction between the two). If this can be adapted to a "play what's in front of you" directed by a creative true play maker, awesome. Or at least a morph between that and Larkham's "stick to the play book and let me do the creativity" system. Otherwise we are wasting Quade. We need constant options coming off both Quades hips. Possibly swapping occassionally to the same off Frisbey.

It's been a bloody long time since I have been this happy leading into Super Rugby. Long may it last. Really fascinated to see the systems these boys come up with.

"We are Red" is a touch corny. But I'm singing. Loudly.

T

TOCC

I must agree about the different in marketing and general Rugby Union exposure between Brisbane and Sydney(where I live). It was reassuring when visiting Brisbane to actually see the Reds and rugby union in the news and marketing.

Anyway, excited for the Reds 2017 season as well, in the first few rounds I'm not expecting much from the likes of Smith, Tui and Higgers as they come off the Japanese season, which will be a real opportunity for Gen Next to impress.

Brisbane 10's is difficult to predict, as it depends entirely on how it's used, coaches will want to win but will also have one eye on the season opener, so I don't expect guys like Higgers to play despite been perfectly suited to it.

As for the coaches, I'm expecting a rather simple game plan in 2017, that's the way Stiles coached Brisbane City and that's the way Thorn likes to coach as well. Will rely on forward dominance and go forward to give the backs space to move, a relatively fast pace game without been helter skelter . I think that's reflected in the signings of Houston, Higgers, Smith and Moore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm buoyed by the sense of apprenticeship, especially giving the young forwards world class players to learn from.

Higs - Korzyke
Houston - Timu
Smith - Gunn
Slipper - Faagase
Moore - Ready
Douglas - Tui
Simmons - Rodda

Will go along way to having those young players reach their capacity.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Getting the basics right and playing mistake free rugby would be a good starting point for all Australian teams. Including the Wobbs.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm buoyed by the sense of apprenticeship, especially giving the young forwards world class players to learn from.

Higs - Korzyke
Houston - Timu
Smith - Gunn
Slipper - Faagase
Moore - Ready
Douglas - Tui
Simmons - Rodda

Will go along way to having those young players reach their capacity.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
It's almost an embarrassment of loose forwards at the Reds this season! The total opposite from last year when we had pretty much just Gill and Tui and were praying neither of them got injured.

Smith should have 7 locked down but 6 and 8 are now really open. Tui vs Timu and Houston vs Higgers.

Moore and Ready will be another tussle for the starting side.

The backs are a bit harder to predict but if NRC form is anything to go by, Perese needs to get a go on the wing. 9-15 of Frisby, Cooper, Nabuli, Paia'aua, Kerevi, Perese and Hunt would be my pick.

Trying not to get too excited - we've had a decent team on paper the last three seasons and they've all been disastrous.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Agree with your last statement Simon but hopefully this group is enough to get us over the line and into the later stages of the comp again. On paper this group is a huge cut above the last few vintages.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Not retired, he's still only 26.

I think he was told there wasn't a place for him this year on the back of those signings. I don't think anybody's heard where's going. You'd think he'd find a place somewhere in Japan or France.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Schatz stayed at the Reds right until the end of his contract, meaning he either didn't want or couldn't pick up a Jap or Euro contract. Can't imagine he wouldn't be able to get one at say, a Pro D2 team next season, considering he's a capped wallaby etc.

Toolis is out at the Rebels for the season, they could do worse then to pick Schatz up as a medical replacement as he is a good lineout man, something they are lacking.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's almost an embarrassment of loose forwards at the Reds this season! The total opposite from last year when we had pretty much just Gill and Tui and were praying neither of them got injured.

Smith should have 7 locked down but 6 and 8 are now really open. Tui vs Timu and Houston vs Higgers.

Moore and Ready will be another tussle for the starting side.

The backs are a bit harder to predict but if NRC form is anything to go by, Perese needs to get a go on the wing. 9-15 of Frisby, Cooper, Nabuli, Paia'aua, Kerevi, Perese and Hunt would be my pick.

Trying not to get too excited - we've had a decent team on paper the last three seasons and they've all been disastrous.

can definitely see a bit of rotation there through the season. Timu and Korzcyke will get their chances, but I think the big match targets will be Higs @ 6, Houston @ 8 with Tui bringing some dynamic play and flexibility off the bench.

T

TOCC

Whilst there is some good depth at backrow, there isn't much depth, Gunn is good but he didn't really stand out at a NRC level, Smith can't play every game so Gunn will really need to pick up his game.

As for blindside and number 8, well I think Timu has a big future but it's a tragedy he missed out on the NRC to re-learn his rugby union skill set, and whilst Korzcyke has the right physical frame I've only seen glimpses of him using it to his potential.

I actually think lock is the Reds strongest position, with Simmons and Douglas as a Wallabies pairing, Neville a proven Super Rugby performer and Tui and Rodda putting in very impressive NRC performances, it's going to be hard to choose who misses out in 2017.. I can't wait to see more of Tui at lock, he is a future Wallaby IMO.

Perhaps the Reds could loan Izack Rodda to the Rebels for a couple of months.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Japan season over now too? So those lads will make their way over in the next couple of weeks I guess.

T

TOCC

Japan season over now too? So those lads will make their way over in the next couple of weeks I guess.

Only for Higgers, Suntory will now play in the Japan Championship which features the top 3 teams from the Top League and the top team from the university comp, semi finals are next weekend on the 21st Jan, and GF the following weekend.

Suntory will play the university team in the semis which they should win, so Hendrix Tui and George Smith won't be available until after the GF on the 29th Jan.

Status
Not open for further replies.