• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If Cheika chose Mumm over Fardy..then he clearly doesn't rate impact at the breakdown as the most critical factor for his blindside flank. I would say that impact is being provided enough by coleman arnold and timani, size and strength we havn't had in a long time, meaning that some players can get picked that aren't impact or work rate. Example..Mumm was selected for his lineout abilities, as hooper and poey had the workrate and breakdown covered, and coleman, arnold and timani had the impact covered so you could afford to have Mumm there to support the lineout and pretty much nothing else.

Higs not only offers more around the park then Mumm, he is the best jumping backrower we have (absolute legend jumping at 2) and lead rebels lineouts. Higs runs better then mumm, hits better then mumm, leads better then mumm and jumps better then mumm.

Higs >Mumm. Mumm>Fardy (in the search for appropriate balance in the most recent wallabies team) Therefore Higs>Fardy

Only thing going for Fardy now his defensive breakdown work with Pocock out of the picture, but with the WC not a realistic goal for Fardy or Mumm, there is rooms for Higs and Holloway.

Higs, Holloway, Mccalman, Timani, Mcmahon & Hooper are my backrow options for 2017 wallabies squad.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't really want to dwell on this for too long because it's a Red's thread.........

But I think you're forgetting that Cheika favoured both Fardy and Mumm (and others) over Higgers for the RWC squad, so as I said before - it will require great improvement from him to displace either of them, and since he's been in Japan it's hard to gauge how well he's going to play this year.......

I think that he might've actually had a better opportunity in 2016 due to the constant reshuffling prior to the EOYT as Cheika struggled to get the balance right between his back 5 forwards, but like you mentioned Pocock's absence opens the door to Fardy to reclaim the jersey this year.

Also, the next RWC is only 2 years away.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
you don't often see guys with physical profiles of fardy and mumm playing anything like dominant rugby in their mid 30s, not quite enough brawn to make up for the slowing body when that tall but skinny unlike a gorgodze or kaino Neither of them are super athletic like a parrisse. Higs has a chance but probs not by world cup.

Mccalman I think is good to have around if Fardy and Mumm aren't really on the radar looking forward, though he would be the first one I would cut if someone like fakasolia, hanigan, valentini etc came good between now and 2019, who knows!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
maybe for 2017, at least the 1st test match series, I would leave mccalman out and keep Fardy in for the sake of a bit of mentoring and continuity.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
c9d4e1d003e556bbbc5211a193ef7915.jpg

Just found this mock up of the Away jersey for this season.

Maybe we're planning on testing the theory that Black Jerseys are invisibility cloaks?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
would love to read a breakdown of fardys stats and contribution in attacking breakdowns. Always been positive on defence.

If I had to choose a blindside flanker to operate in the wider channels in attacking phases, considering we now have guys like coleman and timani to successfully take care of the initial hit ups, I'd take Higs over Fardy in 2017.

I would take 2015 Higgers over 2016 Fardy in the Wallabies #6 role, sure. But 2017 Higgers V 2017 Fardy? Who knows.

Fardy is coming off a bad year but will be looking to improve and reinvent parts of his game as he ages, whereas Higgers has been bullying guys overseas for a year, so who knows what's going on there.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

Maybe we're planning on testing the theory that Black Jerseys are invisibility cloaks?

I like that a lot! I hope if they go with that they play a full away strip as opposed to that jersey with the shorts/socks unchanged. I reckon a full black jersey/shorts combo with red socks would look fantastic.

I am guessing but I'm pretty sure a significant part of the fan base these days are QueeNZlanders, so these would appeal to them I reckon.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Can you guys shift the Wallabies stuff into one of the many Wallabies threads please. It's almost getting nauseating. I deliberately avoid those threads these days because of this stuff. Not keen on reading it in here.

Super Rugby time! YEW!!

T

TOCC

I like this jersey as well, I don't see why the alternate jersey should be restricted to just primarily white, as long as it provides enough contrast to the opposition that should be suitable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
C2Ad5foVQAAfCXD.jpg

My only question here is why photoshop was needed in the first place.

The player with three arms will be handy though (is it Neville?)

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
sorry bout the higs stuff, just super keen he's back, always been a favourite. Same for the Reds though, I think he will be allowed to roam as he did when he killed it here last time, let Houston and Douglas do the tight dirty work.

Really hope Quade can get Nabuli involved!

Who will partner him on the other wing? I'm thinking Perese will get first crack with Maranta on the Bench

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
No all good, no probs chatting about Higgers. I'm pumped he's back. Just the Wallabies selection debates that get tiring. :) As you were.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
He is on the team lists, I reckon they brought in Kite and Sanday to balance the LHP THP.

LHP slipper, paraka, vanzati & Faagase (both)
THP Talakai, Tupou, Kite & Sanday (both)

Status
Not open for further replies.