• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
From SMH - there appears no specific issue with Simmo, I think he needs pressure to keep on his game. And then he can be just superb.

"Smith was another who was an obvious candidate for a senior role in the team but he won't have an official title, nor will lock Rob Simmons, the lineout leader who volunteered to take a step back from vice-captaincy given the influx of experience at Ballymore."

I like Slipper as captain over Moore. Expect/hope it will be popular with the fans. Smith not in the leadership group is odd - not expecting a lot of consistent game time?
I dont think Smiths ever been an execellent leader. Fantastic player and from what i can tell great skills coach and mentor. But on the field his better just kicking arse..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I dont think Smiths ever been an execellent leader. Fantastic player and from what i can tell great skills coach and mentor. But on the field his better just kicking arse..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've also heard all around the place that hes an absolutely terrible trainer (could be a reason for his longevity).

Apparently he used to (don't know if he still does) flat out refuse to do things like beep tests. Would pull out at 6 or 7 as things started picking up.

He's probably a real leader on the field but you need your official leaders to be leading outside of that as well.

T

TOCC

After 10s I don't think there is any real change to the pecking order..

Talakai will be ahead of Tupou, at least for the first few matches. Tupou is certainly explosive and will become a cult hit with his tackles and running but needs to learn how to use it effectively.

Gunn just doesn't do enough to justify starting, I think the second best openside in the team is actually Andrew Ready.

Korcyzk looks to be in good shape and could be on the bench pending the fitness of Tui and court case of Higgers.

Backline will depend on the performance of Magnay and Perese in the Rebels trial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Nabuli showed a bit more, somewhat expected given recent write ups, however the lack of real finishing speed in the Reds is of concern.

I believe I read Magnay is actually the fastest. Hunt, Sautia, Kuridrani, Perese etc are just not finishers. Really could have used one. Hopefully Maranta has speed to burn in that regard?

T

TOCC

Tupou suspended for 2 weeks over head butt.. means he misses Rd1 of Super Rugby

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Tupou suspended for 2 weeks over head butt.. means he misses Rd1 of Super Rugby

Really? Source?

Thats so soft. What about Messam with the shoulder charge or swinging arm?

It was barely a headbutt. It was scarcely more than a smooch.

Messam was having a few words and Thor was all tied up. He was just returning the sentiment.

Between this and the new high tackle laws "rugbys going soft" (I can't believe I just said that. I must be getting old).

T

TOCC

Yeah it was barely a nudge and quite soft, but the ban would be for the intent, whether he connected or not isn't really the issue. Source is on twitter, multiple journos now reporting it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah just got the release. I think it's fair and sums up his weekend. Very disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Sounds like Tupou needs to watch himself, could prove to be a bit of a liability.

He got two YCs over the three matches in addition to this citing, and I remember him getting a few in the NRC too.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
None of you suspect the opposition are targeting the kid?

Yes, he'll need to find a way to deal with it. No, he's not in anyway disappointing.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
did you see how much airtime messam got when Tupou ran in? full credit to Messams strength and coordination to land on his feet and get back in there.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Surprising, yet disappointing comment from you Reg. Played very well for a 20yo, the media builds him up, not the individual.

I don't think he played well. I think his option taking was very poor. He turned over a fair bit of ball and just got carried away a little. It was 10s, sure, and I expect he'll learn from it but it doesn't change the fact I don't think he was where we needed him to be at all.

His two yellow were for high tackles weren't they? Not sure if that can mean he was targeted.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe he was just a bit too keen and eager to impress and got carried away?

He gave Messam what for in the contact - and it was an outright shoulder charge at that. It was a brilliant sight to behold. The head butt was a numpty act and he deserves time off.

Hopefully he'll learn to temper his emotions a bit in the future.

T

TOCC

I don't think he was been targeted, but he may be in the future if he makes himself easy picking like that.. he was certainly youthful and excited, just needs to learn a bit more composure in the coming season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In brings to question very quickly who will be the back up prop. Assuming Slipper and Talakai start then we have Fa'agase on the bench. With whom?

Does Vanzatti come straight in for his debut? Kite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

reserve THP was always an area of concern, I'd say Kirwan Sanday would be next in line

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My thoughts on Thor - agree with the sanction (headbutts should be rightfully stamped out of the sport)

BUT Liam Messam you are a little bitch. Thor gave you a fair and square Tongan sidestep and you try and fight him? Harden the fuck up. Did Mike Catt go and try and fight Lomu after he got Tongan sidestepped? No. This shit happens in games and you have to put up with it, not go off because you got smashed by a guy younger than you and your ego copped a whack.

Status
Not open for further replies.