• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Tuttle was on for 10mins, I agree he did well in those minutes but let's not get ahead of ourselves, his involvement and decision making requirements provide a far small sample size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Gotta say I was quite glad he came on when he (Tuttle) did. Frisby made some bad decisions. Probably the worse game I seen from him. I know it's early days but he put us on the back foot a few times when we looked dangerous. That's only my opinion. I'm sure Frisby will bounce back, he's that kinda player.. QC (Quade Cooper), well IMO, it looks like he's taking the play right to the line which is fine but the pass he delivers is high risk. It's a 60/40. I'm holding my breath every time he does that! Help me out guys if I'm wrong plz! Duncan was outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I was happy with the start to the season and it was great to see some new guys get their first game in the Red jersey. Rodda looked good in his time off the bench. I think that new 7 might go ok too.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I was happy with the start to the season and it was great to see some new guys get their first game in the Red jersey. Rodda looked good in his time off the bench. I think that new 7 might go ok too.

Yeah the new 7 was a bit of a penalty magnet but showed some nice touches. I'd select him again. Maybe he can kick goals too, that would be handy.

I think there were a lot of positive things, backline was playing very flat which has its challenges like that intercept but I think the more that they get used to it the better it will work.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
There should've been at least one, if not two yellow cards coming from Quades flat passes. I don't care where you are on the field, if you deliberately knock a pass down, it's cynical and you get to have a few minutes to think about what you've done. It's got me buggered how they got away with it to be honest.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Have watched Jonno Lance since he was a kid. Recently he has been plagued with injuries.

He is a very good 10. No flashes of brilliance as QC (Quade Cooper) sometimes shows and very few mistakes as QC (Quade Cooper) does often make (in pushing the boundaries)

Pretty good kicker and great defender. Throws a good pass. He is a consistent performer and will use the men outside of him. His only downside is his lack of blinding speed.

Personally I think the Reds need to re-sign the man as a priority.

Dare I say it I think that Lance should have a serious crack as the Wallaby 10.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Have watched Jonno Lance since he was a kid. Recently he has been plagued with injuries.

He is a very good 10. No flashes of brilliance as QC (Quade Cooper) sometimes shows and very few mistakes as QC (Quade Cooper) does often make (in pushing the boundaries)

Pretty good kicker and great defender. Throws a good pass. He is a consistent performer and will use the men outside of him. His only downside is his lack of blinding speed.

Personally I think the Reds need to re-sign the man as a priority.

Dare I say it I think that Lance should have a serious crack as the Wallaby 10.

Yes I think Lance is one of those pretty consistent and capable 10's who won't be a game changer but plays the game well and can be relied upon to utilise the strengths of his team. If he can stay fit then he can do well for the Force and maybe Wallabies. Very limited pool of options within Australian Super Rugby of 10's who qualify for Australia.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Ok glad I read this page before posting because I was starting to feel crazy thinking Smith had a very good game. Can't do much about the ref deciding to target you on the ground but to respond with a running game like the one he did was great to see. Thought he looked dangerous with his touches and geeze he has a step for a guy of his size.

My biggest question mark regarding his age was whether or not he would still have the power running game and agility that set him apart from other 7's - he squashed those questions for me over the weekend.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
From round 1, Smith is older, slower. Wiser (scarey) and more cunning with how and where he spends his effort. I was a doubter. No more. Leadership on and off the park when he's playing like this is worth every penny spent.

Add in Silpper, Squeak, Quade, and even Hunt. Kerevi too. As a Reds fan I never once lost confidence that the boys were playing to win and had it in them. Not so long ago capitulation or inabilty seemed to hang around. That experience and leadership I think is doing something.

Something good.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^
Slipper Smith, Douglas, Quade, Kerevi have a unique ability to lift the performance of players around them. Probably chuck in Higgers as well.

When these guys are playing very well the team lifts markedly

Most teams have a player or 2 that does that ( Hooper and Skelton at the Tahs but not Folau, McMahon at the Rebels, Fardy at the Ponies, Coleman at the Force) but IMO the Reds have several guys who can perform that role. All these blokes are serious "clubmen" and seen as such by their peers.

Reactions: dru

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
I thought Smith was good. He wasn't in the running for MOTM or anything but for a guy playing his first regular match in that team that's all you can ask for really.

I think Smith at 36 will be playing a similar sort of game to Hodgson (solid breakdown, solid defence, general pest and all-round workhorse) but with offering a bit more will ball in hand, as shown by some of those runs. And if you imagine Hodgson with more in attack that's a pretty bloody handy player to have. Throw in Korczyk and Higgers and you have a really well balanced back row that has all bases covered.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Paul Cully's team was interesting. Cully included 7 Brumbies, 5 Waratahs and 2 Reds (Higgers and Kerevi).

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm putting my money toward karmichael hunt. He's putting his hand up, his defence is aggressive and he's actually hitting the line at pace. Coming in off QC (Quade Cooper) or outside centre. He's definitely looking hungry this season.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rebels have signed with BLK until 2020, any news about Reds? I'd like to see the Reds wearing Canterbury

Status
Not open for further replies.