• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sign Quade's coming home?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-06-25-21-06-29.png
    Screenshot_2016-06-25-21-06-29.png
    308.4 KB · Views: 403
T

TOCC

It was mentioned in the newspapers that he was returning to Brisbane after the Top14 GF, thats when he will negotiate with the Reds/Rebels/ARU

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
It was mentioned in the newspapers that he was returning to Brisbane after the Top14 GF, thats when he will negotiate with the Reds/Rebels/ARU
Doesn't he still have an ARU contract? (that's why I was so shocked the Reds dropped him cold - was sure that the last ARU deal was for 3 years).

Let's just hope that he doesn't go south and join the Mexicans....

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Update on Reds' coaching:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...h/news-story/595d500f8fbf3101da237ab6bc48bd41

Key points:
- interviews start this week
- Selection panel will be Mark Connors, Pat Howard, Nathan Sharpe, Brett Robinson, Dan Herbert, Rob Clarke and Ben Whittaker with support from Cliff Mallett
- seven finalists including Stiles and O'Connor. John Mulvihill rumoured to be one as well.
- Todd Blackadder stated as a potential candidate but nothing confirmed as he has also been linked with Bath and the Force.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Update on Reds' coaching:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...h/news-story/595d500f8fbf3101da237ab6bc48bd41

Key points:
- interviews start this week
- Selection panel will be Mark Connors, Pat Howard, Nathan Sharpe, Brett Robinson, Dan Herbert, Rob Clarke and Ben Whittaker with support from Cliff Mallett
- seven finalists including Stiles and O'Connor. John Mulvihill rumoured to be one as well.
- Todd Blackadder stated as a potential candidate but nothing confirmed as he has also been linked with Bath and the Force.

Was John Mulvihill a coach at the Force under RG? From memory he was an attack coach?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reg
any idea how the HC is picked ?

Is it just a gut feeling, is it results ?

Do they have to meet certain KPI's

Would be interesting to know

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
no idea, but on that committee they have:

two former ARU High Performance Managers
one current ARU High Performance Manager
the current ARU Chief Operating Office (I think he is)
the current Cricket Australia High Performance Manager
two QRU Board Members (including the players rep)
the QRU Head of Reds Rugby

with support from probably the leading Sports Psychologist in the country.

They will look at experiences and success, and probably request case studies around game plans, recruitment and player management.

Reactions: gel

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
I'd be interested to know how this process compares to the one that ended up appointing RG. It sounds pretty thorough, and pretty promising.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks for posting that Reg. I'm glad to see them bringing in some input from outside Qld rugby - Rob Clarke always struck me as pragmatic and Ben Whittaker should have good input while Pat Howard has actually been involved in coaching in the UK before his high performance roles. I don't care what nationality or background the coach has as long as they can get the best out of their players. We have some good talent in the squad so let's see what a new coach can do with it.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

They will look at experiences and success, and probably request case studies around game plans, recruitment and player management.

KPI 1 - We all park in the Ballymore carpark, where did you park and why?
KPI 2- We are all on a Board or have a connection; who do you know?
KPI 3 - Have you showed on paper how fantastic you are and how good your game plans are and provided examples and pictures?
KPI 4 - (Sports Psychologist question); Did you include any Reds players in the above submission and why?
KPI 5 - Our last HC was hand picked, groomed and mentored before he took over as HC; why are you a good candidate?
KPI 6 - Do you like Quade?
KPI 7 - We have already recruited; how many players in the current squad would you want to get rid of?
KPI 8 - Is your name "Link" or similar? Say like "Linkcaster"?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

I hope they also talk to the assistants who have worked under the potential coaches and also players. If the players cant stand a coach then they will not work out in the long run.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think that (at least talking with former players) is a fairly common part of the process. Not sure about assistants.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd be interested to know how this process compares to the one that ended up appointing RG. It sounds pretty thorough, and pretty promising.

It's the very antithesis of the process that selected and appointed RG.

In that it is very encouraging, in theory. What's doubly encouraging is that the implication of this far better HC selection process is that painful lessons from the RG era's start and finish have been learnt.

Judge the quality of the process by the quality of the outcome though.

If for example the best world candidates for Reds HC have been turned aside or not actively approached for no good reason and with just 'good blokes who won't upset the Ballymore applecart' HC candidates making the cut, then an excellent formal HC selection and assessment process will count for nought.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm absolutely loving that the QRU are involving the ARU in this. All the franchises should be. it's the wallabies that ultimately benefit from good franchise coaching and Dan's statement in the Australian said as much.

But it still depends on the level of involvement they have. If it's just listing some kpis then that's not enough.

Kudos.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
KPI 1 - We all park in the Ballymore carpark, where did you park and why?
KPI 2- We are all on a Board or have a connection; who do you know?
KPI 3 - Have you showed on paper how fantastic you are and how good your game plans are and provided examples and pictures?
KPI 4 - (Sports Psychologist question); Did you include any Reds players in the above submission and why?
KPI 5 - Our last HC was hand picked, groomed and mentored before he took over as HC; why are you a good candidate?
KPI 6 - Do you like Quade?
KPI 7 - We have already recruited; how many players in the current squad would you want to get rid of?
KPI 8 - Is your name "Link" or similar? Say like "Linkcaster"?

My answers:

1. No. I park in a different carpark, because reasons
2. I know a couple of players in the u17's
3. Yes. After all, I post on a rugby forum, therefore, I am the next Link. I can also hire assistants such as Jonny Wilkinson (kicking coach)
4. No because I am not part of the boys club
5. See answers 3 and 4.
6. Who doesn't?
7. 2 - CFS & Schatz
8. No.

Therefore I should be at a press conference being announced as the new reds coach. I'm now 1 of 8 finalists Reg :p;)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For the betterment of Australian Rugby, I hope the candidates are top notch. The great selection panel they have assembled will be to no avail if the only applicants from outside the Ballymore Car Park are all Pitcairn Island Expatriots currently in the employ of Trevor Gunston from the Woolongong HQ of Gunston Worldwide Sport.

Reds 2017 are putting the band back together, and the playing roster is looking very promising. The last pieces of the jigsaw are the coaching department and the flyhalf. Don't stuff it up this time.

RWC 19 is not that far away, and Australian Rugby does not have time for more experimenting in Redland. We need to spectators back, we need the Reds players skilled, and playing smart and enterprising rugby. QRU needs to get out of the red and into the black. Corporate Australia needs to be re-engaged.

Australian Rugby needs to have the ability to have the National Coach hand over the keys to the Wallabies with the same ease and absence of malice that happened in NZL with Henry and Hanson. We need a clear and obvious successor that continues the great work with the minimum of fuss, with no extended and poisonous white anting campaign as has been a characteristic of Australian Rugby in the past.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Reds side named for Brumbies match - some new faces there and some not seen for a while. What do you think - are some of the new guys going to be key for the Reds in 2017?
St.George Queensland Reds side to play Brumbies
7:40pm, Friday 1 July, Canberra Stadium

1. James Slipper (C)
2. Andrew Ready
3. Greg Holmes
4. Cadeyrn Neville
5. Lukhan Tui (run-on debut)
6. Hendrik Tui
7. Liam Gill
8. Curtis Browning
9. Nick Frisby
10. Jake McIntyre
11. Eto Nabuli
12. Henry Taefu
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Chris Kuridrani
15. Jack Tuttle (Queensland/Super Rugby debut)

16. Saia Fainga’a
17. Sef Fa’agase
18. Taniela Tupou (potential Queensland/Super Rugby debut)
19. Kane Douglas (potential Queensland debut)
20. Leroy Houston
21. James Tuttle
22. Duncan Paia’aua
23. Campbell Magnay

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Surprised Kuridrani and Tuttle got the nods over DP and Magnay. Massive challenge for a sizeable but relatively raw backline against the brains, speed and size combos of lealiifano, To'omua, tk, Ahwong, speight and toua

Status
Not open for further replies.