• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NTT

How old is Duncan P? He been around a couple of years now, is he a project player?
I mean i just haven't seen him do anything at Super or NRC level of note. Yeah a couple of flashes here and there but nothing super compelling, thats why i went for Magnay. Quade always plays his best when he has the full responsibility of running the attack. I just think Magnay, Kerevi, Nabuli are all good options to run the lines off Quade with Hunt, Peresi and Frisby running the support lines off the bash runners. Magnay is good enough to run the odd play if Quade is tied up in a ruck. Plus it gives you guys a solid defensive backline too.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Wikipedia says 21. 22 in January.

I get what you're saying and agree to a point but I think these days when Quade is the only playmaker then opposition defences can commit multiple defenders to him and pressure or shut him down and then we're fucked. The prospect of having Duncan at 12 gives them something else to consider.

Paia'aua can fix defenders and Quade can hit him or Kerevi depending on where the gaps are. Hunt roving around and running his sweet as lines gives them more to think about or we can spread it wide and if the guys in the middle keep it all straight then Nabuli should have more than 5cm of space to work with unlike this last season and that can also be a good thing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When the Reds were at their best in 2011, Genia really provides that second playmaking option from halfback. You know there is a strong chance he will run himself and also set up a play for others around him (not involving Cooper).

In many ways Frisby provides that same sort of playmaking halfback (just obviously not as good as Genia).

The Reds could go a number of ways next year. They could play Kerevi at 12 and try and develop him further into that Nonu sort of threat or they could pick a genuine second playmaker in Paia'aua or go for another option altogether.

N

NTT

Having Magnay and Kerevi running lines around and off Cooper will attract potential defenders to open the wide space too. Where McIntyre was a side shovelling player and didn't really threaten the line to stop drift defence, Cooper will straighten things up in the inside channels which will open more space for the wingers. Like how Carter and Nonu used to operate or Barrett and Crotty now opetate. Plus Magnay and Kerevi are big enough to bend the line to open up offloading opportunities for Hunt and Peresi to run off. It does restrict the kicking options a bit to Frisby, Cooper and Hunt but with the right starter plays, kicking can be effectively utilized.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
it would depend who played 15.

I still have a crazy theory that

15 Cooper
14 Nabuli
13 Kerevi
12 Hunt
11 Perese
10 McIntyre
9 Frisby

is an interesting proposition.

But accept I am alone in that view. I just feel it would assist McIntyre's development to play with QC (Quade Cooper).
Jeez how many second chances can McIntyre get?
You could surround him with the AB backline and he would still come up with rocks.
Any time he ball plays,it's an error,someone nearly dies,or he hits someone from the opposition on the chest.
He does not have the kicking game of a pro.
The only time he can make a line break is when it's a 4 on 1.
He is just not up to it,to persevere with him, is just stalling the development of the squad.
IMHO

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Quade is good at putting players into holes - but he also looks for second touches and interchanges well with players like Beale & O'Connor who have ball skills. Tapuai & even Ant (despite being an apparent non-passer) would often link back up with Cooper.

I also note that, whilst DP is getting in to both 1st & 2nd receiver in the NRC, he also played wider at times, either behind a front runner or switching to align in the 13 channel. Regardless of what jersey Kerevi wears, modern backlines are more adaptable and I imagine he'll run directly outside Quade regularly.

Of one thing I have no doubt - regardless of who is wearing 9 & 11 - 15, if Quade is on the field, he'll call the plays.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
How good is it though, that in 2017 we look like we will have multiple options in terms of how our backline plays and they are all genuinely good options!

The recent discussion is a pretty good problem to have!

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
No, he's agreeing with my suggestion as to the best backline.

Frisby
Quade
Eto
Duncan P
Samu
Perese
Hunt

Reg, I notice that you include Nabuli in your backline. I was disappointed with him this season, really didn't seem to be able to break tackles, showed some good pace down the sideline a couple of times but couldn't stay in. I'm not sure what the better options are, I like the rest of the backline but I'm not sold on Nabuli, although I accept that I may be missing something and having Quade get the ball to him in a decent position might be good. Are we banking on potential or have you seen him really deliver?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
With Quade at 10, I wonder if Tuttle would be a better starting 9?

I'm not even sure that is my preference (would be very rough on Frisby for a start) - but I'm interested in others thoughts. But my thinking is his game is a bit simplier than Frisby's and his pass is better.

Frisby may almost need to reign his game in a little to ensure he doesn't overplay his hand.

I am, of course, being a tad presumptious that QC (Quade Cooper) will get our backline firing.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
How good is it though, that in 2017 we look like we will have multiple options in terms of how our backline plays and they are all genuinely good options!

The recent discussion is a pretty good problem to have!
It's outstanding. That's how good it is.

I really think we can look forward to a huge improvement in ensemble backline play next year.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Reg, I notice that you include Nabuli in your backline. I was disappointed with him this season, really didn't seem to be able to break tackles, showed some good pace down the sideline a couple of times but couldn't stay in. I'm not sure what the better options are, I like the rest of the backline but I'm not sold on Nabuli, although I accept that I may be missing something and having Quade get the ball to him in a decent position might be good. Are we banking on potential or have you seen him really deliver?

I know you asked Reg but I'll throw my 2c in.

Nabuli was nearly always given the ball with next to zero space to work with and our attack heading toward the sideline which is a defending winger's wet dream. On the few occasions that he was given room to work with he would often get over/around his man and make good metres.

I know what you mean but the problems with Nabuli's perceived lack on impact weren't because of Nabuli. He'll be good.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought Nabuli was one of our better players.

But certainly those inside him didn't give him much help. I'm not a back though.

Edit: the other question is, if not Nabuli then who. I reckon Magnay is the only other one who would be considered to have a strong claim, assuming he isn't picked in the centres.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Whos going to be the first to make a scholarship/import comment.

Os.anyone concerned about the nrc performances?? I suppose bris city won by a margin last year and the reds sucked but a little bit worrying.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Os.anyone concerned about the nrc performances?? I suppose bris city won by a margin last year and the reds sucked but a little bit worrying.

Concerned by the team performances as a whole yes, but not on an individual performance level, there has still been a number of players in both teams who have excelled above the rest.. Perese and Luckhan Tui for example

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom