• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Anyone know what JJ Taualagi is up to post-Japanese season?

With a bit of luck with injury and form, I genuinely think this bloke could be Australia's 2015 Millner-Skudder.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeah but a lot can change in 12 months. And they don't mention how recent of an approach are they talking about. He first rejected the Reds years ago.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I didn't think that we would get him at the moment but I still hold hopes that Rugby is where his heart is and he will end up at the Reds one day.

T

TOCC

I want them sign him, but I can't see the Reds matching the offers which will be on the table from NRL clubs... he will be looking at $500k pa plus for his next contract in the.
NRL..

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Ponga is equally expensive as Hunt then what exactly has he done to prove it worthwhile?

He's like Hunt, minus the achievements.
On a separate matter I doubt one would want to renew hunt with aru money as just not proved successful. Just not ever been the player he was in his league days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

I disagree he not ever been the player he was in his league days.

Injury has hampered him and when he has actually strung games together he has put in great performances like his game vs the Highlanders.

His body has proven to not be as durable as it was then. For that reason I doubt you would renew him on a high salary.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
If Ponga is equally expensive as Hunt then what exactly has he done to prove it worthwhile?

He's like Hunt, minus the achievements.

Just go and have a look at his skills, in Cowboys and GPS videos. He's just the sort of player we need to revitalise the Reds.

He's QC (Quade Cooper) at that age, plus more, a lot more. His potential is enormous. And I'd argue his particular skills are better suited to union than league.

Hunt was a player in career twilight already showing regular injury predisposition. And certainly absent contemporary 'achievements' in elite rugby.

My point was really about futures and potential vs buying expensive players late in their careers. Were Hunt's achievements really so great, how's it all worked in practice for the Reds in terms of ROI, and he'll finish in 2017 with word around that his injury may affect even that.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Just go and have a look at his skills, in Cowboys and GPS videos. He's just the sort of player we need to revitalise the Reds.

He's QC (Quade Cooper) at that age, plus more, a lot more. His potential is enormous. And I'd argue his particular skills are better suited to union than league.

Hunt was a player in career twilight already showing regular injury predisposition. And certainly absent contemporary 'achievements' in elite rugby.

My point was really about futures and potential vs buying expensive players late in their careers. Were Hunt's achievements really so great, how's it all worked in practice for the Reds in terms of ROI, and he'll finish in 2017 with word around that his injury may affect even that.

and about 2.1 million dollars

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Injury has hampered him and when he has actually strung games together he has put in great performances like his game vs the Highlanders.

His body has proven to not be as durable as it was then. For that reason I doubt you would renew him on a high salary.

I can recollect one 'very good and sustained that way all match' performance by Hunt, and it's the one you mention above. 'Great', I don't think so. Virtually all his other Reds' performances could be lumbered together under the epithet 'we hoped and paid for wonderful things, though it was but a false glimmer'....and yes, of course, his injury status was a major part of that outcome.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Probably seen more average games than good but yes injury and drug suspensions may be reason why. Happy to see him prove me wrong and have a 'full' and superb season for reds and be in the mix for wallaby selection but clock is probably ticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

Redshappy are you fucking serious?

Before his 18th birthday Hunt had cemented a starting position, scored 15 tries in his debut season and won Dally M rookie of the year.

Before he was 20 he had represented QLD and Australia.

Ponga at 18 has played senior 2 NRL games.

Kurtley Beale looked great at GPS Level. Took him almost 5 years to deliver on his potential.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Redshappy are you fucking serious?

Before his 18th birthday Hunt had cemented a starting position, scored 15 tries in his debut season and won Dally M rookie of the year.

Before he was 20 he had represented QLD and Australia.

Ponga at 18 has played senior 2 NRL games.

Kurtley Beale looked great at GPS Level. Took him almost 5 years to deliver on his potential.

As usual, the abusive swearing and knowing deviation from the core argument commences. If only your analytical and predictive track record in rugby matters was better.

The core notion was/is this: what was a footballing CV in the relatively distant past, when combined with a career in twilight and a poor injury history, may well be much less valuable to splurge scarce QRU resources on than a player with immense, though speculative, potential that could conceivably accelerate the Reds' success and last with them (and maybe the Wallabies) for a decade or more to come.

The latter investment mode of course carries risks. But the massive Hunt multi-million $ debacle - from the drugs to the mediocre performances to now the chronic groin problem - may highlight the serious risks associated with the former. And I have an awful feeling we may see a similar version with S Moore - time will tell.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
And I have an awful feeling we may see a similar version with S Moore - time will tell.

Yeah Squeak is going downhill faster than a steam engine without airbrakes. Hopefully he just turns into a kind of Ben Alexander character for you and is consistently alright, how much are they paying for him again?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yo Reg,
Any word on why Nabuli hasn't played any NRC?

he has played NRC. He played I think the first two games for QLD Country (and looked pretty decent) but got a bad injury attempting a cover tackle and was stretchered off and taken away in an ambulance. He was cleared of serious injury but obviously won't be back this NRC

T

Train Without a Station

Hunt was 27 when he was signed by the Reds. Hardly the twilight of his career. Before his AFL switch he played 125 games in 6 seasons of NRL including 23 in his last year.

It's not unreasonable to suggest his body struggled with the running in AFL given the injuries that occurred, and that they were primarily in his last 2 seasons. Hardly a long history of injury.

He was also good enough to play in a Heineken Cup final in an off season jaunt before AFL.

But sure. Let's throw the same money on Ponga on the hope he turns out as good as Cooper and Beale, but on much more money straight off the bat, and maybe if we are lucky we can reap the benefits on his next contract. He was a GPS Superstar and we all know how easily that translates to senior success. Just look at CFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.