• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't think there's a change link will coach again. Remember he's been out of it for a couple of years now. That's a long time in professional coach years. If it comes back it will be as an administrator I reckon.

As for Nucifora is his role overseeing pro rugby development at Ireland? I only ask because the emergence of that U20 team was pretty significant. On top of the impressive performances by the injury depleted test team in South Africa and there seems to be some positives there.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I stopped reading at "Nucifora". The guy is one of the worst coaches going around. History has pretty much shown that the Brumbies winning under Nucifora was an aberration. Look at what he did at the Blues and the Australian U20s. Our U20s had some of their best teams under Nucifora and they looked like a complete rabble.

I thought for a while that Nucifora being dumped was an abuse of Brumbies player power (and it damn well may have been) but in hindsight it was the right thing to do.

Wasnt on my list.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think there's a change link will coach again. Remember he's been out of it for a couple of years now. That's a long time in professional coach years. If it comes back it will be as an administrator I reckon.

Yep. How long is Herbert's gig for?

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)

As for Nucifora is his role overseeing pro rugby development at Ireland? I only ask because the emergence of that U20 team was pretty significant. On top of the impressive performances by the injury depleted test team in South Africa and there seems to be some positives there.

Nucifora's title is IRFU Performance Director. He is responsible for developing and identifying young talent. There is a good video interview with him from earlier this year at: http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/37080.php#.V3cy2fl96M8
David Nucifora outlines a new approach that the Union is investing in to develop talent and the support services that are being put in place to ensure that Ireland's elite young players are ready sooner to join the professional ranks of the game and add depth to the elite player pool in Ireland.

In a detailed interview, Nucifora discusses the IRFU's fresh approach to identifying and supporting talent between the ages of 16-20.

Butch21

Frank Row (1)
Remind me how Nucifora went at the Blues? Then with the U20s?
I am happy to remind you- he didn't didn't do well is the answer. All coaches have success and failure if they are in the game long enough. On your criteria Eddie Jones must be a woeful coach cause the Reds were abominable and came last under his watch and he had no success at Saracens either, Steve Hansen is shit too because Wales were a laughing stock didn't win a 6 Nations game in one particular year with him as coach oh and world coach of the year Michael Cheika is also shit because he failed at Stade Francais.

If you stick to the thread, the point I was making was that Nucifora got promoted to Super rugby from within Australia without having similar Super experience and he was successful. You can get on your anti Nucifora high horse all you want, Im just stating fact to support my view that I think there are enough Aussie coaches around - I just think it would be quite a sad state of affairs if we had a kiwi coaching NSW and a kiwi coaching QLD.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am happy to remind you- he didn't didn't do well is the answer. All coaches have success and failure if they are in the game long enough. On your criteria Eddie Jones must be a woeful coach cause the Reds were abominable and came last under his watch and he had no success at Saracens either, Steve Hansen is shit too because Wales were a laughing stock didn't win a 6 Nations game in one particular year with him as coach oh and world coach of the year Michael Cheika is also shit because he failed at Stade Francais.

If you stick to the thread, the point I was making was that Nucifora got promoted to Super rugby from within Australia without having similar Super experience and he was successful. You can get on your anti Nucifora high horse all you want, Im just stating fact to support my view that I think there are enough Aussie coaches around - I just think it would be quite a sad state of affairs if we had a kiwi coaching NSW and a kiwi coaching QLD.

But you're missing a heap of context there. When Nucifora took over the Brumbies in 2002 the Brumbies had won in 2001 and lost the final in 2000. Nucifora took over what was the best team in the comp at the time. And the team were not happy with how he was managing them, there's plenty of stories that they were choosing to coach themselves instead of listening to Nucifora.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
But you're missing a heap of context there. When Nucifora took over the Brumbies in 2002 the Brumbies had won in 2001 and lost the final in 2000. Nucifora took over what was the best team in the comp at the time. And the team were not happy with how he was managing them, there's plenty of stories that they were choosing to coach themselves instead of listening to Nucifora.

Exactly. For example, George Smith said in his biography that Anthony Eddy & Laurie Fisher did a lot more of the coaching while Nucifora didn't

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Exactly. For example, George Smith said in his biography that Anthony Eddy & Laurie Fisher did a lot more of the coaching while Nucifora didn't

Doesn't that just tie into the concept that a lot of teams use now of having an overall 'coaching conductor' pulling the strings and then hands on coaches working with the players under the head coach's direction? I'm not saying that Nucifora was good or bad, but just saying that sub-coaches were doing the hands on things doesn't mean that he wasn't a good coach. Laurie Fisher has been long recognised as being very good as a forwards/breakdown coach, so would you not use him for doing that work with the players if he was part of your coaching team? I got the impression that Nucifora is better as a big picture planner/administrator, possibly because he seems to upset people so a hands on role isn't good in that situation. This seems to be the role he is playing in Ireland.

That doesn't take away from the point the original poster re Nucifora made, that choosing a coach from within Australian rugby to become a Super Rugby coach can work if they are deemed to have the right credentials. Hell, choosing a Super Rugby coach who has no more credentials other than they have played the game at a high level and are well connected in their province has worked for Larkham.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't disagree, just that Nucifora is a poor example.

At some point you need to give performing local coaches a shot. In these cases though I have little issue going foreign, particularly if Blackadder is the best person for the role. I don't think that Stiles is there yet, and MOC definitely isn't it for me.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
Blackadder could well be another Dean's. Used to coaching players who can "play what's in front of them" who have a complete set of skills and good vision. Might not do as well with players who are more used to set plays.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blackadder could well be another Dean's. Used to coaching players who can "play what's in front of them" who have a complete set of skills and good vision. Might not do as well with players who are more used to set plays.
And he might not be.

Anyhoo, the Australian article today indicated that Matt was in the lead after a strong interview.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
O'Connor, according to the article.

Bugger. Although I have had a sneaking suspicion that it would be Matt O'Connor ever since George Smith signed, simply because he (Georgge) gives a fair bit of praise to him in his (George's) biography

T

TOCC

At least Taniela sounds like a grounded young lad:

“You can’t just be a good runner at this level. The first thing in a tighthead prop’s job is to scrum and that first one was not very good,” Tupou said.

“After that, I pushed myself harder and I know more what to expect now against the best in the world (because he also scrummed against All Black Joe Moody in a pre-season trial).

“I have a lot I want to work on but I still can’t believe I finally got out there with the boys, especially in a team with guys like Greg Holmes and James Slipper who I looked up to as a schoolboy (in Auckland).”

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
At least Taniela sounds like a grounded young lad, isn't mincing his word:

“You can’t just be a good runner at this level. The first thing in a tighthead prop’s job is to scrum and that first one was not very good,” Tupou said.

“After that, I pushed myself harder and I know more what to expect now against the best in the world (because he also scrummed against All Black Joe Moody in a pre-season trial).

“I have a lot I want to work on but I still can’t believe I finally got out there with the boys, especially in a team with guys like Greg Holmes and James Slipper who I looked up to as a schoolboy (in Auckland).”

Sounds like a ripper bloke

Reactions: gel

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm not excited by that at all.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Agree. He did not leave Leinster in glory and hasnt really shown a path this 12 months, plus I dont see Stiles hamging around.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...b/news-story/af59522f2b8239deb4d326b47e883905

Try googling "Matt OConner rugby coach" and click "news" to get the Australian article behind the pay wall. Short extract:

"It is understood that of the seven finalists for the job, O’Connor, who is currently one of the two Reds co-coaches, presented the most coherent plan, although the winner is not expected to be named for another fortnight after Queensland finishes their Super Rugby season.

Canberra-born O’Connor, 45, who won a single cap for the Wallabies in 1994, would be only the third southerner to coach Queensland, following Ewen McKenzie and Eddie Jones."

Status
Not open for further replies.