• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Jesus guys you way off track! It's all that one guys fault. Get rid of him and everything is fine.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

If Stilesy was allowed to choose his own assistant coaches, then yes, he needs to go. Now if he was allowed to choose his own assistants, but within a budget, then no it is the Board who needs to take responsibility. Based on their CV's below they should be getting paid as interns or graduates.

Shane Arnold = Oz U20s Assistant Coach / Brisbane City Assistant Coach (2015-2016); GPS Brisbane Head Coach (2012-2014); GPS Brisbane Colts Head Coach (2010-2011);

Jason Gilmore = QLD U20s Head Coach (2015-2016); Churchie Head Coach (2013-2014); Toowoomba Grammar Head Coach (2011-2012); QLD A Skills Coach (2010)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
At least we have had some scrutiny of the Assistants.

Has been plenty about Cordingly for years but always falls on hearing impaired ears.

Powers that be need some hearing assistance.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Jesus guys you way off track! It's all that one guys fault. Get rid of him and everything is fine.

The real, core true 'fault' in this context that really matters and that deeply echoes in everything that has gone wrong for the Reds 2005-9 and 2013-17 can be quickly summed up thus:

Apart from a very brief period (2010-11 that was more luck than judgement and that arose from a near-death crisis), the QRU is an incompetently run, insular, inbred organisation that is wholly unreformed and accordingly more or less repeats the same failure-inducing mistakes of both strategy and key personnel over and over again, each time expecting (and worse, promising) better outcomes for its paying fans, and yet never delivers them.
Dear old Stilesy and his hapless band of highly inexperienced Reds coaches are but symptoms of the above origanisational pathology and its dark consequences and not, to be fair to them, the cause of it.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If Stilesy was allowed to choose his own assistant coaches, then yes, he needs to go. Now if he was allowed to choose his own assistants, but within a budget, then no it is the Board who needs to take responsibility. Based on their CV's below they should be getting paid as interns or graduates.

Shane Arnold = Oz U20s Assistant Coach / Brisbane City Assistant Coach (2015-2016); GPS Brisbane Head Coach (2012-2014); GPS Brisbane Colts Head Coach (2010-2011);

Jason Gilmore = QLD U20s Head Coach (2015-2016); Churchie Head Coach (2013-2014); Toowoomba Grammar Head Coach (2011-2012); QLD A Skills Coach (2010)

I thought the discussion here on G&GR at the time was that Stiles didnt want a position where his authority might be challenged. The fault here starts with the silly decission the year before with Co Interim Head Coaches.

But if the theme here was correct, Stiles got what he wanted in his deputies. Btw those blokes may be fine under a more experienced HC. Head of rugby, Board, and HC all hold the candle here.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Bit more complicated than that

Kerevi is leading the comp in metres made carrying the ball, total carries, and top 7 for linebreaks, tackle breaks and offloads

I wouldn't pick him for the tests but not in form?

The guy is having a lot of problems defending... Let face facts, he's not a top try scorer (irrespective if metres gained), a lot of missed tackles and his team is equal 4th last and a long way off the leaders. If the Australian team is not going be the best this year, then on defence alone u just can't select him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
There MUST be some reason Kerevi isn't playing well

We need to be more understanding and less critical. He'll come good eventually:)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
There MUST be some reason Kerevi isn't playing well

We need to be more understanding and less critical. He'll come good eventually:)

He clearly needs better technical coaching re many aspects of his game, his holistic game is not developing and if anything is slightly deteriorating. Plus, perhaps too, coaching that is more psychologically sympathetic with his particularly mental profile (a key part of any effective coaching).

In the same context, with all these issues, promoting him to (C) is madness, absolute madness.

He's a young guy that needs a lot of work to become a complete player and fulfil his talent.

Burdening him today with a Super captaincy is just a destructive folly on Stiles' part, and highlights Stiles' own current problems arising from inexperience and a chronic lack of success in any of his last 4 (or more) years of being involved with rugby coaching.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I thought it was laughable when he was made captain and for a variety of reasons (incl some of those reasons you gave RH)

Once Slipper was gone for the year I thought Higgers was the obvious choice then followed by Moore.

The only certainty ATM is that Samu is not playing well, and we need him to do that.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Scrubber, RH, here's a potential reason for Kerevi losing form - the captaincy is too much of a burden on him

Is it 3 games now he has captained? Certainly not long enough to see him second worst for missed tackles.

It may be a component of the issue and RH has summed the others up.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Personally I thought it was laughable when he was made captain and for a variety of reasons (incl some of those reasons you gave RH)

Once Slipper was gone for the year I thought Higgers was the obvious choice then followed by Moore.

The only certainty ATM is that Samu is not playing well, and we need him to do that.

Higgers or Hunt would be better leaders by example.

having the right mindset to attack the collision is a massive pat of defence. You need aggression.

Higgers and Hunt both have plenty of aggression to lead by example.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Higgers or Hunt would be better leaders by example.

having the right mindset to attack the collision is a massive pat of defence. You need aggression.

Higgers and Hunt both have plenty of aggression to lead by example.
No matter how they ended up, their incidents with the (other) boys in blue mean lines have been put through their names - at least this year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The thing is that captaincy should really be a long-term job. So, by definition, it should go to a younger player. Build for the future. Is Kerevi the right choice?

Dunno. But at least he has a long career ahead of him, hopefully.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
No matter how they ended up, their incidents with the (other) boys in blue mean lines have been put through their names - at least this year.

totally agree, I would have fired both of them.

but while they are there and have now been forgiven then they are the best choices

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

I used to think this way. But now I think that they are in a workplace, and people in other workplaces do not normally get sacked or stood down for relatively minor infractions. Higginbum in particular did nothing by any standard, did he.

If having a bit of a sniff was a sackable offence in places like Sydney, the ranks of up and coming young executives would be decimated, so I am told.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

I look at the CVs posted and think how insular the group is, add Stiles coaching resume to it and it looks worse. That Carpark must have been pretty devoid of anybody from outside Brisbane when decisions were made. I mean surely a peak rep team would be seeking candidates from a fairly wide base to get the best program in place. I also go back to my earlier point about a true interview process needing to look at not just the individuals but the program they are proposing to bring. It must be complete and include not just a first year bounce but some real development.

Anybody think that has been what is really missing? To my mind it all comes back to those base processes that have been throwing some good individuals with significant potential to the wolves over the years expecting them to just magic up a structure on their own. What have the boards of the ARUs done? Where are their structures and their guidance of the systems?

I think about people lost from coaching like Ian Kennedy, Phil Mooney....

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I used to think this way. But now I think that they are in a workplace, and people in other workplaces do not normally get sacked or stood down for relatively minor infractions. Higginbum in particular did nothing by any standard, did he.

If having a bit of a sniff was a sackable offence in places like Sydney, the ranks of up and coming young executives would be decimated, so I am told.

I wonder what Damian Keogh thinks about that last paragraph :D

I don't think they should be sacked. I just think that's the reason neither were considered for captaincy positions this season.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

I've been drug tested as part of my job/contracts for the last 20+ years. I have no issues what so ever with highly paid F%$%#@wits who want to throw away a relatively easy career they actually like that is paid very very well comparatively getting sacked. No sympathy at all.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I wonder what Damian Keogh thinks about that last paragraph :D

I don't think they should be sacked. I just think that's the reason neither were considered for captaincy positions this season.

Obviously sponsors would not be too happy when a Club Chairman (with whom they negotiate incidentally) transgresses. The Hurled is reporting that the Cronulla's major sponsor is considering "renegotiating his contract". But, at the end of the day, no news is bad news. Especially in loig. And they are so far ahead of us that it is not funny, in terms of all sorts of support, including from sponsors.

I agree that captains should be white than white. Even the mungoes believe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.