• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Have to wish the best for Jake. Probably one of the most talked about players at the Reds in a high profile slot. I don't think that his combined coaching experience has helped him much at all and throughout he continued to be a Reds servant.

I can't say I'm disappointed with this, but I do wish Jake the best in what is hopefully a very positive step in his rugby.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
So back to 2 flyhalves. Let's hope Quade stays injury free so a 20yr old Stewart doesn't get thrown to far into the deep end like Mcintyre did.

Reactions: dru

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
So back to 2 flyhalves. Let's hope Quade stays injury free so a 20yr old Stewart doesn't get thrown to far into the deep end like Mcintyre did.
The word on the street is he may make an appearance at 15. If that isn't being thrown in the deep end, I don't know what is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
All the best in France Jake, hopefully there will be less pressure over there for you to develop!

In other news, I saw Sam Greene was catching up with Thor last week, where did he end up landing?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Queensland Rugby Union continues to build its squad for the 2018 season with the re-signing of loose forward Caleb Timu, while also locking in Australian U20s second-row pair Angus Blyth and Harry Hockings.

Timu and Blyth have signed through 2018, while Hockings will be at the club until at least 2020.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Maybe we will actually see Timu in Red at some point!

What're the wraps on the younger guys? Missed most of the U-20s this year myself.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Hockings is a very good young player, still a bit skinny on his 206cm frame at something like 110-112kg but he's barely turned 19 so has plenty of time to add some body armour and power.

T

TOCC

Lukhan Tui and Rodda were signed on similar length deals at his age, and that's worked out pretty well so far..

That all but confirms what we already suspected about Neville heading off..

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Queensland coach Nick Stiles has this morning confirmed rumours that out-of-favour flyhalf Jake McIntyre has signed with French Top 14 club Agen.

News broke in the French press early this morning that McIntyre would join the club based in France’s south-west once his contract with Queensland is completed at the end of this season.

Stiles was full of praise for the departing playmaker who steered the ship for Richard Graham in a disastrous 2015 season at the helm of the Reds.

“Jake is an absolutely quality individual and a great example to other players about how to prepare for a football game,” Stiles said.

“He’s a real professional with how he goes about his business and I was excited that he was able to pick up a contract and continue to play professionally because he’s such a good bloke.”

With a number of exciting flyhalves already on the Queensland books including Wallabies star Quade Cooper and Australian U20s Hamish Stewart on the rise, Stiles said it was easy to understand why an individual in McIntyre’s position would seek opportunities overseas.

“Being a flyhalf is very difficult, you need to put a lot of time into understanding and implementing the gameplan and bringing out the best in the players around you, and Jake worked very hard on that.

“He’s only 23, and sometimes a stint overseas can sharpen you up and as we’ve seen with the fluid movement of footballers internationally, going overseas doesn’t mean he’s finished in Australia,” Stiles said.

Agen won promotion to the Top 14 in 2017/2018 by defeating US Mountauban 41-20 in the Pro D2 promotion playoff last season.

McIntyre will likely partner former Springbok Ricky Januarie in the halves after starting just three matches for the Reds this year.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hope to see more of Douglas in 2018. Will need to step up to support the youngsters.

Hockings and Blyth both still eligible for U20 next year season?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So we now have 4 young locks and Douglas. Having 4 young locks in the one franchise is exactly what is friggin' wrong with Australian Rugby.

I've got exactly no problem with the Reds contracting 4 young locks. If they are good enough. It's a slot that requires three players on the game sheet. 4, 5 and 19. Sometimes a young lock can transfer effectively to 6 or 8.

It needs a particular type of mongrel and a very particular skill set with a high risk of converting to successful pro level Soup quality.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
So we now have 4 young locks and Douglas. Having 4 young locks in the one franchise is exactly what is friggin' wrong with Australian Rugby.

What's stopping every other franchise sending a contract their way? It's not like it hasn't stopped them before....

Having 3-4 young locks isn't that big of a deal, especially when 2 of them are going to be in the match day 23. Then you'll have an injury during the season to one or two of the guys so I'd daresay everyone will be getting game time.

Moonrat

Frank Nicholson (4)
I've got exactly no problem with the Reds contracting 4 young locks. If they are good enough. It's a slot that requires three players on the game sheet. 4, 5 and 19. Sometimes a young lock can transfer effectively to 6 or 8.

It needs a particular type of mongrel and a very particular skill set with a high risk of converting to successful pro level Soup quality.

Don't disagree with you - but send these young men to prems first. make them earn their stripes. i can see the sense in Hocking getting some extra attention adding some extra weight but in Blyth there is simply not a rugby player and only rugby will sort that, not time in the gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.